PDA

View Full Version : Overheat incident at idle...

WVUSKI
07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
I have a '89 Tristar with indmar 351. On Saturday, while picking up skiiers the temperature gauge kept rising. It got up to around 200. Seemed when I would take off the temp would almost immediately decrease. I ran the boat yesterday with no issues. My first instinct was possibly an impeller problem, but seems like it would continue to overheat on the next day. Could something have been caught in the hose coming in the boat going to the impeller? Thanks!

ProTour X9
07-23-2007, 08:29 AM
I would still check the impeller. We had our boat 13 years and had the same problem on and off, at least twice a year. Turned out to be the impeller. :twocents:

skibtlvr4evr
07-23-2007, 08:37 AM
87 and just happened to me. Make sure all hose fittings are tight and if your impeller is good check out thermostat.

JimN
07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Clear out the oil cooler and make sure the raw water pump gasket is new, with no tears.

justinlkgb
07-23-2007, 09:40 AM
had similar problem last year. Changed impeller...problem gone. Chalked it up to rookie driving while docking and sucked up some sand, at least thats what I was told. :o

WVUSKI
07-23-2007, 10:14 AM
thanks for all of the replies! Looks like I may need to pull the impeller...what should I look for? Worn edges...and shavings? I haven't had the impeller cover off (just got the boat last year) As far as the raw water pump gasket...where can I find this?

bigmac
07-23-2007, 10:26 AM
thanks for all of the replies! Looks like I may need to pull the impeller...what should I look for? Worn edges...and shavings? I haven't had the impeller cover off (just got the boat last year) As far as the raw water pump gasket...where can I find this?I wouldn't look for anything other than a forensic evaluation just before you throw it away and replace it.

The gasket comes with the new impeller.

Just as important as changing to a new impeller is checking the transmission cooler - pull the raw water pump-side hose and feel around in there for weeds or pieces of old impellers etc.

JimN
07-23-2007, 11:32 AM
bigmac- the gasket may come with the impeller. The impeller is available without it, too. It shouldn't be, but it is.

bigmac
07-23-2007, 11:46 AM
bigmac- the gasket may come with the impeller. The impeller is available without it, too. It shouldn't be, but it is.
Interesting...I'll bow to your greater experience. I've never seen a blister-packed 812 impeller from SkiDim, West Marine, or my MasterCraft dealer that didn't include it. The gaskets are only a couple of buck$ (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5008), it would probably be prudent to buy a couple extra, in that case. I also recommend that the OP get some extra brass bolts (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5005) for the cover plate, in case he snaps one off or loses it in the bilge.

WVUSKI
07-23-2007, 01:17 PM
the new impeller (with gasket) is on it's way...thanks for all of the quick help! This is a great feature of the site (free mechanical help) :)

TRBenj
07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
It doesnt hurt to check the impeller, but if it appears to be fine then its probably not the problem. It doesnt hurt to have a spare around, though. If you have a small air leak then the temp will rise at idle. Id check all your hose clamps on the cooling lines to be sure theyre tight.

JimN
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
bigmac- how it's sold depends on how the dealer orders it. I didn't know I could buy an impeller/gasket kit until I worked at the second dealership. When I was at the first, I didn't order most of the parts and didn't know about it. I never bothered to order impellers without gaskets after that. I also never buy from retailers, but it's good that they sell the parts together.