PDA

View Full Version : 1989 prostar over heating in idle

teeter
07-22-2007, 11:58 PM
I just bought a used 1989 prostar and the boat runs good, but gets hot at slow speeds and in idle. Is this an impeller problem, any ideas what i should check first?

Leroy
07-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Teeter;

Congrats on the new boat, yes, impeller and any screens in the path. Could also be chuncks of old impeller or weeds stuck in the water flow somewhere.

Pictures are mandatory on new boats!

teeter
07-23-2007, 12:27 AM
haha, well here a pic, i just put in new carpet, she still has a ways to go espically after i've seen all the prestine boats on this site.

sorry can't seem to make pictures work i'll puy some up sooner or later

Jesus_Freak
07-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Welcome Teeter.

teeter
07-23-2007, 09:10 PM
well, i opened the impeller up and there is no doubt in my mind i need a new one. Here is the first picture of my boat, well the impeller i figure if i start at a low point theres no where to go but up. Also, any tips on where to get an impeller for a 1989 prostar 190 with an indmar engine or how to remove/install would be much appriciated. Thanks.

Lance
07-23-2007, 09:20 PM
A good place for engine stuff is SKIDIM (Discount Inboard Marine)... while you are there I would suggest a new fuel filter and probably a new thermostat as well as these are generally considered consumables that get replaced fairly frequently and it seems the previous owner of yours may have skipped some of this.

I would take out the drain plugs at the rear of the exaust manifild and see if you have a lot of rust accumulating in their as well as that can also add some resistance to cooling water flow which might also contribute to low flow rate and overheating at idle.

Other things people on here will want you to do is upgrade to electronic ignition.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018

Lets see some more pictures.

TMCNo1
07-23-2007, 09:36 PM
You got to be kidding me! Why would it overheat?

teeter
07-23-2007, 09:45 PM
haha my thoughts exactly. This is my first boat other than my dad's i've never done engine work on them, once i knew what to check and saw that. kind of a no brainer

TMCNo1
07-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Get you a new impeller and a spare to carry in the boat in case you have a overheat problem again. Check out this thread to aid in the removal and replacement, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1815&highlight=impeller+replacement