PDA

View Full Version : Launching without a Boat Ramp

Andyg
07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Does anyone ever launch their boat where there isn't an actual boat launch? This weekend I had my boat at a friends house on a private lake. There is no boat launch on the entire lake so we had to launch the boat on his beach. Because of how shallow the lake is I had to back the truck into the lake so that the water was up to the bottom of the doors. I have a 2006 F150 so it doesn't sit very low. In order to get the truck out of the lake we had to hook up another truck to it and pull at the same time as I tried pulling the boat out. Needless to say I was a little worried both when I launched it and when I loaded it back on the trailer that my truck was going to be a perminant fixture in the lake. Next time I will have to take pictures.

phecksel
07-22-2007, 10:35 PM
next time hire a helicopter :)

At least one member here has experience, LOL

jeverett
07-23-2007, 02:41 AM
We do it all the time but I wouldn't think about It without a 4x4

Ben
07-23-2007, 07:25 AM
If you do this on a regular basis, I'd recommend regular checks of axle oil for water and wheelend bearings.

School Skier
07-23-2007, 07:35 AM
We have the same problem at our lake so I choose to ski elsewhere so I don't get into a jam.
The next door neighbor launches his MC at our lake and submerges his suburban he is luckier than me. The town won't improve the access either, but they'll tax the daylights out of you.

T Scott
07-23-2007, 07:50 AM
I do it all the time as well. Ilive on a lake and do not have a permanent cememnt ramp in the back yard. I use a section of the beach that seems tobe packed pretty well. I could never do it without 4 wheel drive. I have a 4x4 suburban and I am yet to get stuck. Good news is my neighbor has a Hummer so he could always pull me out if I get the Burb burried!

ProTour X9
07-23-2007, 08:25 AM
We had to do it before our launch opens (April 1), pulled the 190 out thousands of times (even on January 6th) and even pulled the X9 out. This was done with 7.3L 4X4.

BriEOD
07-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Do you have 4x4?

Rich_G
07-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I had to launch from a beach one time last year when our ramps were closed due to low water. We used a 4-wheel drive tractor.

One thing to think about: you have to "push" the trailer thru the sand and the brakes will engage. You have to have a way to lock out the brakes.

Sodar
07-23-2007, 10:13 AM
We have to launch from the beach alot for ski races and such. Most of the river has a nice bank to is, so you do not need to go in too far....

Andyg
07-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I couldn't get out on my own even in 4X4 low. The beach I launched on was all pea gravel so getting traction was almost impossible.

I don't plan on doing this more than once or twice a year. Supposedly next summer there is going to be a public launch going in so I shouldn't have to worry about it.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Personally, I wouldnt try this without a 4x4 3/4 ton crew cab diesel.

endl
07-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Personally, I wouldnt try this without a 4x4 3/4 ton crew cab diesel.
UMP from my experience when you get the 3/4 ton CC diesel stuck it takes large tractors and earth moving equipment to get them out.

JohnnyB
07-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Make sure you move slow and go in and out of your launch site in 4wd. I have launched mine a few times at lakes without landings. I would never do it without being in 4wd and would never do it without having another truck nearby with the capability to pull me out.

I ran into this once last year where my brother backed me in down the beach and spun the wheels on my suburban at the edge of the water, digging them in pretty good. Used his Ram 4x4 to put a little tension on the tow strap and I was able to creep out mostly under my own power.

CoFooter
07-26-2007, 11:16 AM
This is kind of on the same topic, so I camped on to this thread.

We have a high water and low water launch at our lake. Every year there is a weekend or two of transition where the water is too low to launch off the high water ramp and the low water ramp is exposed, but the area around it is too muddy to launch. Probably 30 to 40 ft of mud you have to drive through before you get to the ramp. This is pretty thick mud. I'm sure I'd get stuck even backing in. I'm thinking of putting somethng down on the mud part so my truck/boat don't sink in and I can get across it. Anyone else have a similar probloem? Any ideas of what I can use to get/maintain traction crossing over the mud to get to the ramp?

Thanks

endl
07-26-2007, 12:54 PM
How many feet do you need to go? Are you wanting something portable or are you looking to make improvements on the structure/ground area?

JohnE
07-26-2007, 01:09 PM
The launch at my father's house is gravel but very flat. I go in as deep as you describe every time. But it is a gravel bottom and I have a 4x4 Avalanche. I would not do it with 2 wheel drive.

uawaterskier
07-26-2007, 01:11 PM
another thing to think about is when you first pull out of the bank, you can use the boat to "push" the trailer. You of course have to have 2 people, 1 in the boat and 1 in the truck.

TX.X-30 fan
07-26-2007, 01:30 PM
I think this would do the trick (jus sayin). :confused:

This is the truck recomended by UMP for towing anything larger that a Seapoo. :D :D

Naste Craft
07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
I do it all the time in Laughlin at Telephone Cove

You need a 4X4!!!!

CoFooter
07-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I think I confused you guys.

Actually the ramp itelf is a metal grate and once I get on it it is not a problem. Its getting to the ramp that is a problem. I have to travere 30 to 40 ft of mud that is now "land" that a week ago was under water. I'm looking for a portable solution.

CoFooter
07-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Also to add - I have a F250 SD CC Diesel 4x4. It will still get stuck and I'll need one of those little red numbers in the above post to get my truck back once I do get stuck.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-26-2007, 04:02 PM
I think this would do the trick (jus sayin).

This is the truck recomended by UMP for towing anything larger that a Seapoo. :D :D
That would be correct X30! :toast:

endl
07-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I think I confused you guys.

Actually the ramp itelf is a metal grate and once I get on it it is not a problem. Its getting to the ramp that is a problem. I have to travere 30 to 40 ft of mud that is now "land" that a week ago was under water. I'm looking for a portable solution.
You need to find some of those heavy duty plastic tread plate mats. I dont know where you would find them but I have seen concrete trucks and well rig trucks with them for when they get in wet areas and get stuck. Only problem is you would have to keep changing them out every 4-5 feet which would be a pain in the arse!

You ought to do some research find out who is responsible for those ramps and see if you can talk them into droping some B-Stone or large ag. then putting some smaller stuff over that and that would help everyone in the long run. As long as it has a good base a little silt/mud should not be a problem

CoFooter
07-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks, endl, I'll google those mats and find out if I can rent some. That ought to work.

The lake is a private lake and I'm not sure the manager/leasee would spring for the rocks/ag. Maybe I can get some of the other members to share.

Appreciate the ideas.

Where are you in Arkansas? I have in-laws on Norfork in Mountain Home and usually get up there at least once/year

endl
07-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks, endl, I'll google those mats and find out if I can rent some. That ought to work.

The lake is a private lake and I'm not sure the manager/leasee would spring for the rocks/ag. Maybe I can get some of the other members to share.

Appreciate the ideas.

Where are you in Arkansas? I have in-laws on Norfork in Mountain Home and usually get up there at least once/year
Little Rock area. Good trout fishing up there.....

bucky
07-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Something I learned in water crossings with my Jeep.
If you plan to submerge the axle (like up to the doors) give it time to cool down after towing to the lake. If the pumpkin is hotter than hades when you hit the water, it will pull a vacuum as it rapidly cools down. With the vent submerged, it will suck water right in.

Also, I can't remember ever needing 4X4. My Rubicon with 33" tires pulls it right out.;)

endl
07-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Something I learned in water crossings with my Jeep.
If you plan to submerge the axle (like up to the doors) give it time to cool down after towing to the lake. If the pumpkin is hotter than hades when you hit the water, it will pull a vacuum as it rapidly cools down. With the vent submerged, it will suck water right in.

Also, I can't remember ever needing 4X4. My Rubicon with 33" tires pulls it right out.;)
Yeah but I promise you put over 7000 pounds in that mud and your looking for the nearest bulldozer, backhoe or tractor. Been there done that.