PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof camera...

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Well...over the past 3yrs we've had 2 cameras end up in the water. One is still in Davey Jones' Locker at Norris, the other didn't agree with the Atlantic Ocean salt water, so...we bought an Olympus 770SW. It's waterproof to 33ft, shock proof, freeze proof, etc...

This camera is going to be fun...if it doesn't go to the bottom of the lake before I get some floats for it!

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-22-2007, 10:53 PM
another...

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-22-2007, 10:54 PM
...and another...

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Last one...trying to catch the sound waves from the sub transmitting thru the water. Ended up being a cool picture for other reasons...

Leroy
07-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Cool shots, how did you do the first shot? Standing on a bridge?

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Cool shots, how did you do the first shot? Standing on a bridge?

Nope! Getting pulled behind the boat on a wakesurf board. :D

chudson
07-23-2007, 09:14 AM
A couple of key ring floats connected to the camera may be cheap insurance.............

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-23-2007, 09:16 AM
A couple of key ring floats connected to the camera may be cheap insurance.............

Perfect! There's been mention of a floating wrist band I'm going to search on. Those look like good backups tho. Thanks!

chudson
07-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Is the camera it'self water proof or is it in a water proof case???
Great pictures by the way, I really like the first one, looks like an add for MasterCraft!!!

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-23-2007, 09:40 AM
The camera itself is:
1) waterproof down to 10m (33ft).
2) Crush proof up to 200lbs.
3) Freeze proof down to 14F(?).
4) Shock proof from a 5' fall.

I'm sure the quality of pictures will be better when I get the memory card (local stores didn't have the XD 1 gig Type H, higher write speed)for it. I had to take them on a low(er) quality setting to be able to fit on the internal 18mb of memory.

Yeah...the picture came out decent for trying to frame and shoot it while be cautious with the camera (feels akward taking one into the water) and trying to have some sense of balance!

Thanks!

atlfootr
07-23-2007, 10:09 AM
24760Do ya think they'd work on my wrist, if I ever fell when barefoot'n?

atlfootr
07-23-2007, 10:13 AM
The camera itself is:
1) waterproof down to 10m (33ft).
2) Crush proof up to 200lbs.
3) Freeze proof down to 14F(?).
4) Shock proof from a 5' fall.

Thanks!Now that you've got us all interested, how about some $$$$ amounts! :D

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Now that you've got us all interested, how about some $$$$ amounts! :D

Circuit City has/had it listed at $325 and you could get a rebate making an EPSON 4" x 6" picture printer free. I couldn't find a local store that had both in stock, but I really didn't want the picture printer b/c I don't think they are cost competitive to having prints made. Anyway, I got the local Best Buy to match the CC price.

I just need the memory card. Will look closer to work today. A 1gig XD Type H card is about $29. Remember how much memory cards used to cost!?!? :o

EDIT: Just looked...it went down again to $318!?!?

atlfootr
07-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Remember how much memory cards used to cost!?!? :oNo dout, I usually pick up SD 1.0 MG's for about 25 bucks each :cool:
You previously gave stats on the camera but failed to mention one, what's the
CRASH Height / Speed protection of the camera capable of handling ....
remember I'm a barefooter.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
No dout, I usually pick up SD 1.0 MG's for about 25 bucks each :cool:

Yep. Used to be closer to $100, IIRC! We always get the high speed write cards.

Heh...you can get the 770SW bronze version (pretty cool) for $314. Dropped their prices w/i the last 24hrs.

atlfootr
07-23-2007, 10:32 AM
:o EDIT: Just looked...it went down again to $318!?!?Take it back and have 'em refund you the difference :D

tommcat
07-23-2007, 10:33 AM
i've got the water resistant version of that camera(710) and i love it. it takes great pics, easy to use and seems very durable so far.

atlfootr
07-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Yep.
Used to be closer to $100, IIRC! I had to go back and look this word up on a net lingo website.
And who said, you never learn anything here on TTMC :uglyhamme
IIRC --- If I Remember Correctly or If I Recall Correctly

BrianM
07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Well...over the past 3yrs we've had 2 cameras end up in the water. One is still in Davey Jones' Locker at Norris, the other didn't agree with the Atlantic Ocean salt water, so...we bought an Olympus 770SW. It's waterproof to 33ft, shock proof, freeze proof, etc...

This camera is going to be fun...if it doesn't go to the bottom of the lake before I get some floats for it!
It is a great camera. I have the 720sw which was the predicessor to yours. Waterproof to 10 ft. It takes great photos and not bad video either. Have had it in the pool, ocean and lake with no problems and all of the slalom video I have posted and taken have been with this camera.

BrianM
07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
I just need the memory card. Will look closer to work today. A 1gig XD Type H card is about $29. Remember how much memory cards used to cost!?!? :o

Make sure you buy an Olympus XD card. The Olympus card is the only one that will work with the panorama feature. When I first bought mine I originally bought a Fuji card and the Panorama feature would not work. Caled Olympus and they told me that it was only available when using an Olympus card. Returned the Fuji card bought the Olympus and it works great.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Make sure you buy an Olympus XD card. The Olympus card is the only one that will work with the panorama feature. When I first bought mine I originally bought a Fuji card and the Panorama feature would not work. Caled Olympus and they told me that it was only available when using an Olympus card. Returned the Fuji card bought the Olympus and it works great.

Glad you are enjoying your camera! I hope we will too! It just seems odd...they say to 'clean' your camera by soaking it under water and cycling it on and off for about 10mins to get the dirt/sand out! Just feels odd!

Yep...I ordered up the Olympus 1G XD H card from CC for $29.99. Will pick it up at lunch. Gotta love the" buy on line, pick up at store" feature.

chudson
07-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Do ya think they'd work on my wrist, if I ever fell when barefoot'n?

They might keep your wrists floating but I don't know about the rest of you!!!:D

atlfootr
07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
They might keep your wrists floating but I don't know about the rest of you!!!:DWas think'n of put 1 on each wrist and 1 on each ankle, now what'da ya think?
:uglyhamme

atlfootr
07-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Alright you two, WE ALL want to sell MORE and MORE H2O SHOTS ... so DON'T HOLD BACK!

chudson
07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Was think'n of put 1 on each wrist and 1 on each ankle, now what'da ya think?
:uglyhamme

That just might work!!!!:D