PDA

View Full Version : 1996 prostar205 stalling question

MCpro205
07-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi, Im new to this forum and just bought a 1996 prostar 205 with a 350 corvette. Has ran fine last 3 times on the water pulling skiers up with no problem. Got 2 questions/concerns:

1. Last time I took it out, I was attempting to pull up a skier and when I got on the throttle pretty hard, it acted like it stalled. The boat lost speed and sounded like in a regular vehicle when you push the gas in the neutral position?? But, if I gradually pick up speed, runs fine??

2. Also, (and this may be true in all straight drive boats) it seems that in reverse, it only backs up to the right? i odnt have much manuverablility when it comes to backing up?

Thanks in advance for your replies, I hope to find some answers here.

TMCNo1
07-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi, Im new to this forum and just bought a 1996 prostar 205 with a 350 corvette. Has ran fine last 3 times on the water pulling skiers up with no problem. Got 2 questions/concerns:

1. Last time I took it out, I was attempting to pull up a skier and when I got on the throttle pretty hard, it acted like it stalled. The boat lost speed and sounded like in a regular vehicle when you push the gas in the neutral position?? But, if I gradually pick up speed, runs fine??

2. Also, (and this may be true in all straight drive boats) it seems that in reverse, it only backs up to the right? i odnt have much manuverablility when it comes to backing up?
Thanks in advance for your replies, I hope to find some answers here.

#1, I would prefer someone with transmission experience answer that.

#2, All LH rotation props on direct driveboats pull to the right in reverse, just like all RH rotation props pull to the left. The rudder is in front of the prop in reverse andoes very little to effect the direction and in reverse the prop acts like a paddle and pulls the transom in the direction it is rotating. It takes practice, but using the rudder in forward and the prop in reverse, you have to learn to walk the boat to approach a dock or another boat from the right.

KnoxX2
07-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Welcome MCpro205.

Where do you ski?

I see you are in the southeast.

MCpro205
07-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks TMCNo1. I thought that was the deal with the straight drive boats but wanted verification. And, I will consult with a transmission expert.

KnoxX2.. I usually go to pickwick lake to wakeboard.. its hard to find a good slick surface but always a good crowd to land a trick or crash and burn in front of.... you?