PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cranks but WILL NOT start: HELP!

radley
07-22-2007, 06:25 PM
My engine will crank but will not start. I plan to check the kill switch but do you have any other suggestions. I hope you have some insight because it is really cutting into my ski time?!! :)

JohnnyB
07-22-2007, 06:31 PM
What year/model is your boat.

IIRC, if you have a kill switch issue, you won't even be able to crank it.

radley
07-22-2007, 06:46 PM
I plan to check out the kill switch issue tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

TMCNo1
07-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Check the kill switch first.

Leroy
07-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Depends on how much you want to check, fuel pressure in line to engine.

CHeck your fuse box.

JimN
07-22-2007, 09:19 PM
JohnnyB- the kill switch does nothing to the starter, just the ignition circuit (purple wires).

radley- what have you checked so far? If you have no 12V on the purple wires, look at the kill switch. If you do and it still won't fire, check for spark with a timing light. Don't pull a plug wire and hold it- you'll get a whole handful of voltage (about 50K).

Is it TBI or LT-1?

Leroy
07-22-2007, 10:40 PM
Jim; Is there anyway to check for spark without a timing light? I wanted to suggest laying a plug out on the block and look for spark but decided that wasn't so smart in a boat and maybe fuel fumes floating around.

JimN
07-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Harbor Freight and most auto parts stores sell spark testers. That's about the second safest way. I don't like exposed sparks, either. That's the reason I didn't recommend just plugging a bare spark plug into the wire and grounding the base. Fun to watch from a distance, though.

By the way, if someone wants to see if a motor needs fuel, starting fluid is NOT the recommended fuel. It's made to run on gas and it should be tested with gas.

tommcat
07-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Harbor Freight and most auto parts stores sell spark testers. That's about the second safest way. I don't like exposed sparks, either. That's the reason I didn't recommend just plugging a bare spark plug into the wire and grounding the base. Fun to watch from a distance, though.

By the way, if someone wants to see if a motor needs fuel, starting fluid is NOT the recommended fuel. It's made to run on gas and it should be tested with gas.brake cleaner is what we use to run an engine on, not as harmful as starting fluid. we drive cars around the lot on it with no problems.

just make sure the brake clean is flammable, some is not and you might as well be using water.

radley
07-25-2007, 08:40 PM
What year/model is your boat.

IIRC, if you have a kill switch issue, you won't even be able to crank it.
Okay, I am having a blonde moment...nothing too serious...How do I know what engine I have?

The boat is a 97 ProStar 205 . Never had any problems until this year but I am learning a lot this summer!

JimN
07-25-2007, 10:14 PM
If the motor has a plastic cover that looks vaguely like Predator's head, that's the motor you have- 310HP Predator TBI. This motor also has a distributor, which the LTR doesn't. If the top of the motor is a big, black or grey aluminum piece with a rectangular flame arrestor, you would have the 330HP LTR.

If it has the distributor or crank sensors, we can probably get it to fire for you, or at least give you a good idea of where to look. Post a photo if you can and list what you have done to find the problem.

Leroy
07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
THis is a 2001 LTR

Leroy
07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
THis is an LTR