PDA

View Full Version : Trailer dollies?

shepherd
07-21-2007, 03:25 PM
I did a search and found that a couple people use these, but couldn't find any more details.

Do any of you guys use a trailer dolly to move your boat/trailer around your garage/driveway? If so, what do you have? I'm looking for recommendations for my boat:

2003 PS 197 w/ tandem axle trailer, total weight approx 4,000 lbs.

My garage and driveway are level - no slope

THANKS

SDAhockey21
07-21-2007, 04:09 PM
I have been looking for details too. I was also considering hydraulic lift dollies for under the wheels.

jrbrown
07-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Do any of you guys use a trailer dolly to move your boat/trailer around your garage/driveway? If so, what do you have? I'm looking for recommendations for my boat:

2003 PS 197 w/ tandem axle trailer, total weight approx 4,000 lbs.

http://www.powermoverinc.net/pmaccarts.htm

I own the AC5. I worked in a boat yard years ago and had some experience before I made my purchase. I wouldn't purchase any other one. The rig is straight forward, and you quickly learn. It handles a tandem axle trailer just fine, especially in tight turns which is what I was up against. It's nice to walk out, hookup, pull the boat out and do some work, etc. Precision parking is a snap.

sdlaura1
07-21-2007, 04:45 PM
I called Brady Hall at powermoverinc.net, and he treated me like total crap. He never addressed my situation and never returned repeated emails and phone calls. He must be so rich he doesn't need the money. I ended up putting a hitch on the front of my rig so I can manuever my boat into the garage with 1 inch width and height to spare.

bigmac
07-21-2007, 04:59 PM
The electric dollies look useful, but they sure are expensive. I've thought that if I needed tight-space maneuvering I'd use a set of four trailer dollies. Then all I'd need is to just get the thing in the garage and slide it sideways.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14923

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94600-94699/94682.gif

shepherd
07-21-2007, 06:52 PM
The electric dollies look useful, but they sure are expensive. I've thought that if I needed tight-space maneuvering I'd use a set of four trailer dollies. Then all I'd need is to just get the thing in the garage and slide it sideways.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14923

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94600-94699/94682.gif

I saw that, but not sure how it works - how do you get it under the tires? If I have to break out my floor jack and jack up each side of the trailer to use it, I'll pass.

shepherd
07-21-2007, 07:01 PM
http://www.powermoverinc.net/pmaccarts.htm

I own the AC5. I worked in a boat yard years ago and had some experience before I made my purchase. I wouldn't purchase any other one. The rig is straight forward, and you quickly learn. It handles a tandem axle trailer just fine, especially in tight turns which is what I was up against. It's nice to walk out, hookup, pull the boat out and do some work, etc. Precision parking is a snap.

Thanks jr. You seem sold on powermoverinc. Have you had bad experiences with other brands (if there are any)?

btw, Where in So. MD are you? I grew up there and still visit family there often. I have a good friend who works at Tri-State Marine in Deale.

bigmac
07-21-2007, 07:26 PM
I saw that, but not sure how it works - how do you get it under the tires? If I have to break out my floor jack and jack up each side of the trailer to use it, I'll pass.

Nah, you're thinking of tire skates. Kick these things under the wheels and step on the pedals to pump the wheels off the ground and now your car or boat/trailer will slide sideways into your parking spot. My buddy has a set on his 'vette. He can caster the thing all over his garage pushing with one hand.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/319ZxVNzxpL._AA250_.jpg

shepherd
07-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Sounds good Mac. Actually sounds like it would be easier to move around than the electric dolly, once you get it set up. I was just concerned about Cmack's statement in the other thread that "Sometimes they need a little help from the floor jack."

I may sound lazy, but I really don't want to mess with that when I get home after skiing all evening - 3 or 4 times a week. It's not so bad right now backing in, but I want to start parking the trailer in the garage at the opposite angle (bow pointing away from the street) so it doesn't block my interior garage door leading into the house.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try it out. Worst case is I'll have to send them back to Harbor Freight.

bigmac
07-21-2007, 09:09 PM
The wheels are composite and 4" in diameter. How easily they roll around on the floor is going to be pretty dependant on the nature of the floor. As to lifting the trailer - I'd consider cmack's advice - my only direct experience is my buddy's Corvette. That pumps up easily, but it weighs a lot less than your X30.

I do have another buddy who keeps his boat in his garage. He didn't want to spend the money on a dolly and rigged up an electric winch on a long remote. It's at the back of the garage mounted on the floor and when he puts the boat away, he hooks the winch to the rear axle and steers by pushing the tongue one way or the other as he winches it back.

jrbrown
07-21-2007, 09:12 PM
btw, Where in So. MD are you? I grew up there and still visit family there often. I have a good friend who works at Tri-State Marine in Deale.

You have a PM.

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I use two sets of these dollies from harbor freight. takes just a few minutes and is awesome. I love having them. Pretty well priced also.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94682

ProTour X9
07-21-2007, 10:15 PM
We either move ours with the Polaris 500, or by hand. But mostly by hand.

nmcjr
07-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I also use the harbor freight dollies listed above and they work great (02 XStar). No floor jack needed and a tire is lifted in 30 seconds. I only use one pair. I crank down the trailer, push back in a straight line by hand, lift the rear axle, and spin it 45 degrees to fit in my garage. I have the spots where I need to stop marked on the floor so I can do the whole operation by myself in under 10 minutes.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Our turn into our garage is less than 90deg and it was goint to be next to impossible to do it hooked to a tow rig. Since we're on a slight incline up the driveway AND up into the garage, we had to do something. The PMI dolly has filled the ticket very well!
I'll post a few pictures to give you an idea of the slight grade we're dealing with. The PMI dolly is rated at 10,000lbs, so no issues handling the load. I only wish I would have gotten the brake, but it hasn't been a big deal.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Grade up driveway...
This is somewhat the point we hook/unhook the trailer from the Excursion, but it'd push it up the more drastic part no problems.

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-30-2007, 11:30 PM
Hopefully this give you somewhat of an idea of the grade up the driveway and then ~90deg up into the garage. The PMI has never failed or waivered. Again, only sometimes wish I had a brake...just in case.

shepherd
07-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Thanks P-Hat! Great shots. I'm almost sold on one of those. I've been thinking about those Harbor Freight dollies too, but cmack says he has to use the floor jack to help them out, but nmcjr says floor jack not required... :cool: I don't doubt either one, but wonder why the difference?

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-30-2007, 11:43 PM
The HF dollies just wouldn't work in my situation. There's no way I could push a +4000lbs package up the grade. Especially while having to turn it. The PMI dolly moves at a slow pace so getting in tight spots is not an issue. Driveway exits to left in this picture, so you can see the tight turn to get the boat in place.

Get whatever fits your needs and budget the best.

nmcjr
07-31-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree the power mover looks great--it was just a cost issue for me. But I don't have to do as much maneuvering--just a spin. I wonder if CMACK has a single axle trailer. If so, I could see the dollies struggleing if only one pair had to lift the entire boat.

rodltg2
07-31-2007, 12:24 PM
i have one too, although i only use it once in awhile. i keep my boat at the lake now , so i use it when i bring it home to keep out the rain in the winter. works good though. i sometimes get it stuck but i need to go through asome gravel/dirt too.

Hrkdrivr
09-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I also use the harbor freight dollies listed above and they work great (02 XStar). No floor jack needed and a tire is lifted in 30 seconds. I only use one pair. I crank down the trailer, push back in a straight line by hand, lift the rear axle, and spin it 45 degrees to fit in my garage. I have the spots where I need to stop marked on the floor so I can do the whole operation by myself in under 10 minutes.

Are you saying you can get all four tires off the ground by just lifting one axle? :confused: If so, that would be great and I'll only need one set.

How does the jack wheel on the tongue handle the loads when the boat is being pushed around? Does it drag and make it hard or does it just roll along nicely?

Hrkdrivr
09-03-2007, 10:19 AM
bump................

nmcjr
09-07-2007, 10:11 PM
No, I only lift one axle. This may not work for everyone. It works for me because I have a straight shot into my garage, then I lift one axle to turn it 45 degrees so I can close the door. The jacks make it possible to turn the trailer without the two axles binding one another.

When moving the boat straight forward and straight back I keep both axles down, because it rolls in a straight line easier when not on the dollies. I only use the dollies to rotate the boat in the garage, not for moving it around. I can't say how easily it would roll with all four wheels up on dollies.

As for the jack wheel, it rolls OK forward and backward, but is a little hard to make it swivel. I try to turn the jack wheel before trying to turn the whole trailer, so the wheel is facing the direction I want first. Moving it around by hand is probably a little hard on the jack assembly, but I try to be as gentle as possible.

BoulderX45
09-07-2007, 11:50 PM
I have a X45 and use the harbor freight dollies. I think they work great as long as the garage floor is clean. I get my boat halfway into the garage and install four of the dollies, while the trailer is still attached to the truck, and back the rest of the way in and my wife pushes the boat into place. If I'm going out the next day I leave the boat on the dollies and just do the opposite on the way out of the garage. They install easy on the wheels with about 10 to 15 pumps on the foot pump.

BoulderX45

Hrkdrivr
09-09-2007, 01:03 AM
nmcjr, thanks for the words...I understand what you're saying now...

BoulderX45, AWESOME to know! My boat BARELY fits into my garage (I'll post pics later) and if I don't have the boat backed in perfectly straight and the tow vehicle aligned perfectly with the boat, it's a nightmare to get the boat out of the garage.

Last week I got it a little crooked, and instead of unhooking and starting over, I kept going back and forward trying to get it lined up and out the door. In the process I got the boat snugged up near the wall and crooked. I was finally able to get it out, but for a while there I thought I was going to have my boat half in/half out of the garage until I figured out a way to extricate it.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna order four of them right now...