PDA

View Full Version : Checking/Adding Oil to 1996 ProStar 205

wyncdavies
07-21-2007, 12:54 PM
OK, I don't want to sound like a total noob but I've got a question on checking and adding oil to my 1996 ProStar 205 (with std. EFI power). Is it like a car engine where I should run the engine for a bit and then check the oil or should I check it cold?

Also it appears that there is a place to add oil on each valve cover. I assume the both flow to the same place but I wanted to verify.

Sorry for the silly questions...

Thanks!

Wyn

TMCNo1
07-21-2007, 07:06 PM
I check cold and as far as the 2 oil caps, see this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17773&highlight=caps

JimN
07-21-2007, 07:39 PM
If you want to know how much oil is in the crankcase, why would you run it? Running it removes oil form the pan and if it's held long enough, could cause someone to add when they don't need to and it would end up with too much.

Making one part is a lot cheaper than two and there's no need for anyone to stock a second cover. No tool and die costs in making a second mold, added to the decrease in wasted parts and inventory costs- it makes total sense.

wyncdavies
07-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the info. The owners manual says to run the engine for 3 minutes, I guess to warm the oil. It seems that people are split on whether or not you run it or not.

That thread on the two oil caps freaked me out with the first couple of replies...

Thanks again!

JimN
07-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Are you sure running it for three minutes isn't before changing it and not checking the level?

justinglow
07-21-2007, 10:34 PM
I have always ran my boats before checking the oil level. Also I check it while it's in the water. I don't get an accurate reading on the trailer. The boat sits different on the water than it does on the trailer.

JimN
07-21-2007, 10:44 PM
How can you know how much in in the motor if an unknown amount of it is coating engine parts?

bigmac
07-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Indmar recommends checking the oil when the engine is warm. They state that it should be checked 2 minutes after shutting the engine off.

Current MasterCraft manuals over the last several years say to wait 3 minutes.