PDA

View Full Version : 4160 Holley Carb Leak & JB Weld

davekro
07-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Has anyone had success (or not), using JB Weld on a carburetor leak? If the seal does hold, obviously I will check it regularly when I test drive it and occasionally afterward. I'm just curious if this could/should be considered a long term fix, or if it may be too risky?

the story...
I just got my Holly 4160 carburetor back from a 'friend of a friend' mechanic who installed a rebuild kit for me. The 1/2" plugs (other models had bowl adjusting screws here) on top of each bowl now leak. I found out that this is a non serviceable part, so I'd need to buy new bowls (so much for going the inexpensive route), for the correct fix.

But, with nothing to lose, last night we applied a generous amount of JB Weld epoxy over both plugs. I'll either test it tonight (18 hours cure), or wait until tomorrow (36 hour cure) before retesting.

Thanks for sharing any experiences with JB Weld, or opinion on this 'fix'.

Dave

rektek
07-22-2007, 02:27 AM
do not try and fix this with epoxy, JB weld etc. it's not worth the trouble.
replace the bowls or replace the complete carb. fuel leaks in a boat are not good, bite the bullet and fix it right !

TRBenj
07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Has anyone had success (or not), using JB Weld on a carburetor leak?

This will work just fine. I developed a leak on the front bowl in that exact location last year. I cleaned it up and applied JB weld and it was fine for a year- I only replaced the bowls because the JB weld interfered with my new (low profile) flame arrestor. Just keep checking for leaks.

BrianM
07-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Should work just fine. I repaired a gas tank in my bronco with JB Weld. It has held up fine for well over a year now.