PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable R&R questions?

stennes
07-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Couple of questions here, I picked up my new steering cable yesterday and was wondering, after talking to my dealer what do I need to do to remove the old one and install the new one? It looks easy but he made it sound harder than I thought. Any tips would be great.
Thanks,
Mike

stennes
07-22-2007, 01:01 PM
BTT Anyone???:confused:

JimN
07-22-2007, 01:15 PM
It'll be a lot easier if we know what year and model of boat you have.

bigmac
07-22-2007, 01:16 PM
What boat?

I've not done that procedure (yet) but the concept I've grasped from posts here on TT is that you detach the cable at both ends, tie a stout line to one end and pull the old cable out leaving the rope in its place. Then you detach the old cable, attach the new one to the rope and pull the new cable back into place with the rope.

Sounds easy in concept, but the details might be tricky and are likely going to vary from boat-to-boat, model-to-model, year-to-year. That cable removal-replacement technique may be impaired by the cable hanging up on various items attached to the hull below the floor, or perhaps securing clips attaching the old cable to the hull to maintain its routing. It's possible that sections of flooring might need to come up to address those issues, move or lift the gas tank, etc.

stennes
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Sorry I dont know why I omitted that very important part of the question. Its a 03 X30, so its the same as your boat a 230VRS. It looks straight forward but NOTHING is that easy. I did install the 06 rudder and that made a world of difference.
Thanks,
Mike

JimN
07-22-2007, 03:05 PM
To start, use up or siphon/pump out most of the gas. That way, it'll be easy to raise the tank if needed. Next, inspect the existing cable and remove all of the wire ties that hold it in place. Remove the cable from the tiller arm, mark the point where the clamp is on the existing cable assembly.

Upon inspection, you may see that it'll be easier to pull it toward the stern of the boat when removing the old one. There should be very little that can hang up on the way back toward the stern and you'll want to tie a pull cord or wire to the eyelet at the helm end after freeing it from the clamp and shift/throttle. You want this as sleek as possible for pulling through, so taping the locking collar (it's like a big nut) in place and eliminating any gaps that can catch is a good thing. Tie the cord to something so it can't pull back too far and when the old one is at the rear of the boat, tie the cord to the new one so it can be pulled to the front. Doing it this way will route the new cable through all of the places where the old one was and then you can wire tie it in place again. If they have screw-down clamps, use those. It may help to have a second person to help.

Make sure the new cable end is lubricated well and has grease fittings. If you have the direct replacement, there will be very little adjustment needed. Don't remove the tiller arm from the rudder.