PDA

View Full Version : 79 SS, surging after carb rebuild... please help

Taskmaster
07-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Just picked up boat from shop. Turns out our high RPM idol problem related to rear butterflys of carb not closing all the way. The shop rebuilt the carb and now the boat will idol well. Still a little high I feel at around 1k. I would have guessed idol would have been around 600 RPM.

Cruising the boat surges. What would cause this? Carb issue, timing, fuel system? Wondering if I need to take back to shop or if there was something I could check myself.

Slinkyredfoot
07-19-2007, 10:31 PM
The 79 I own idles very well at 600rpms, so you are right on with your comment... I do not understand the "surge" issue you have, I would take it back to your engine guy...I am guessing a carb adjustment..

etduc
07-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Just picked up boat from shop. Turns out our high RPM idol problem related to rear butterflys of carb not closing all the way. The shop rebuilt the carb and now the boat will idol well. Still a little high I feel at around 1k. I would have guessed idol would have been around 600 RPM.

Cruising the boat surges. What would cause this? Carb issue, timing, fuel system? Wondering if I need to take back to shop or if there was something I could check myself.

Idle should be about 600 rpm.

Confirm your throttle cable is not binding, or properly installed. Disconnect linkage and work the throttle by hand. Adjust you idle. Then reattach cable.

Check you fuel bowl, level. (That's what Holley recommends first.) Before making adjustments. Since carb was rebuilt, contact the mechanic.

There is always a possibility your distributor is not advancing correctly.

tommcat
07-21-2007, 09:05 AM
if it was fine before the carb work i'd look at the float level