PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X45 Tracking Problems

Kellogg X45
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
My X45 is have a problem tracking straight. The boat wants to turn to the right the goes back to the left without moving the steering wheel. Dealer is having problem fixing the problem. Any thoughts?

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Since the X-45 does not come with tracking fins, nor were they optional, I would assume that contributes to the issue.

MYMC
07-20-2007, 12:51 PM
This is a steering issue not a tracking issue. The deep V of the X45 is what is used to maintain tracking while pulling a rider or skier. This sounds as if the steering is being loaded in a direction like when the rudder has been filed. What year X45 and does it have hyd steering?

Kellogg X45
07-20-2007, 01:12 PM
2007. It doesn't have the hyd steering option. The problem is more prevelent when Im not pulling a rider. I have also experinced this problem with 4 people and as many as 15 people. The rudder has been replaced. The steering wheel has about a 3/8 of a turn slop. The dealer has inspected the steering cable and finds no problems. the dealer is trying to get MC to pay for hyd steering to solve the problem?

endl
07-20-2007, 01:19 PM
My X45 is have a problem tracking straight. The boat wants to turn to the right the goes back to the left without moving the steering wheel. Dealer is having problem fixing the problem. Any thoughts?
My 06 45 pulls right as well. If I let go it will make a pretty good hard right turn. I thought that was just common with a DD or VD boat????? It does not take much pressure to keep it stright but it will definately not track straight by itself.

Kellogg X45
07-20-2007, 01:30 PM
the first 25hrs i could let go of the steering wheel and the boat would go perfectly straight. Now i let go and it will go straight then right back to the left. the change in direction is is a sudden and quick pull back in forth. The problem is much more noticable when i'm not pulling a rider. the problem is not constant either only when on plane.

MYMC
07-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Sounds as if this occured after the cable and mounts got worn in and there is not enough static tension to hold it in place. IMHO the rudder should be filed to load it in one direction or the other (to a small degree) this will make the boat easier to drive when you have a rider behind it and should address the wheel flopping from side to side if you have your hands off (not sure why you would).

rick s.
07-20-2007, 01:53 PM
my 06 x45 without hydraulic steering goes straight. Can take hands off the wheel with no issue. My son got back from Minnesota and road behind & drove an 07 x45 and he reported it would go hard left (i think he said left) if he let the wheel go.

endl
07-20-2007, 01:56 PM
Sounds like I need to take mine in also......I just thought that was normal.

chevy08bud
07-20-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that it is normal that if you take your hands off of the wheel, then it will steer hard to one side or the other, usually to the right.

MYMC
07-20-2007, 03:07 PM
It is normal...if you look the rudder is offset to the prop so there will always be some prop induced steering. The hydrallic boats have so much more built in resistance that they do not show this trait.

The real question in this thread is why people have their hands off the wheel going down the lake...you do that in your car as well?

endl
07-20-2007, 06:06 PM
It is normal...if you look the rudder is offset to the prop so there will always be some prop induced steering. The hydrallic boats have so much more built in resistance that they do not show this trait.

The real question in this thread is why people have their hands off the wheel going down the lake...you do that in your car as well?
No I drive with my knee in my truck.

MYMC
07-20-2007, 06:29 PM
No I drive with my knee in my truck.
Whew, I was worried that you weren't being safe!