PDA

View Full Version : The Official "How early is too early?" poll!

shepherd
07-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, my new boat is LOUD. So I've been told by several people on our lake. With that in mind, I try to be courteous and not come out too early in the morning to ski the course, which runs behind several lakefront homes. It won't do to pee off the neighbors and have someone vandalize our course. Right now, I avoid coming out any earlier than 8:30 or 9:00 on the weekends (we ski evenings on weekdays). But, I'm thinking about pushing it a little earlier, like 8:00.

Do you think that would upset some people? What do you think is the earliest, respectful time to hit the course and wake the neighbors?

Jkelly
07-19-2007, 02:25 PM
I don't think it is any different than people getting up at 7:00 on Sunday mornings to cut their grass.

Maristar210
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, my new boat is LOUD. So I've been told by several people on our lake. With that in mind, I try to be courteous and not come out too early in the morning to ski the course, which runs behind several lakefront homes. It won't do to pee off the neighbors and have someone vandalize our course. Right now, I avoid coming out any earlier than 8:30 or 9:00 on the weekends (we ski evenings on weekdays). But, I'm thinking about pushing it a little earlier, like 8:00.

Do you think that would upset some people? What do you think is the earliest, respectful time to hit the course and wake the neighbors?

I go out every Wednesday at 6:00am to get one good set in besides the family time on the boat. So I guess you should not ask me cause if it's light, I'm going....

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, my mom lives in a condo in FLA with some pretty old people around. All condos face the pool courtyard and the pool hours open up at 8am.

dmayer84
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
I have been out on the lake at 5:30 in the morning I am usually of the lake by 8 when I go out that early

Sodar
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Our HOA stipulates an 8:00am to sunset rule. Between sunset and 8:00am, you must not go over 5mph....

André
07-19-2007, 02:29 PM
I say 8 a.m.
If there not up by this time ,not your problem...
My 94 is a very quiet boat compare to partners 06 197 MCX and 00 Malibu LX with Monsoon .
There is a new CC 210 on the lake with a 6.0
That thing IS loud and produce a 4 feet wake on a lake that is about 1000' max.Should be interresting at the next lake residents meeting...:rolleyes:

John B
07-19-2007, 02:37 PM
I would have a talk with the neighbors and see what they would like, and then tell them what you would like(as soon as it is light 6 AM)Then compromise and go for 7,and tell them if that is too early that you will go back to 8

Harvey
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
We ski sunrise sets. So if the sun is out I say ski. On the weekends maybe let people sleep in a little.

Monte
07-19-2007, 02:44 PM
My habit is 6:30am Sat & Sun. Usually off the lake to pick up the kids and go again by 9:00 on Sat. Sunday I'm off by 8:30 to get ready for church...

During the week 7:00pm til dark any time I can get out...

Flatwaterfooter
07-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Unless specified anytime is open water. The guy up the road from me with the big diesiel truck does not wait till I get up in the morning to drive by. With that being said you still need to respect the people.

shepherd
07-19-2007, 02:59 PM
While I want to be respectful for other people, my real concern is upsetting people to the point where they'll vandalize our ski course or go out and run circles in their jetskis just to "get back" at us.

If we didn't have the slalom course, I wouldn't worry about it so much.

John B
07-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Talk to them,and get to know them.

ProTour X9
07-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Uh, hours on our lake, nothing until 11 o' clock :(

03 35th Anniversary
07-19-2007, 03:50 PM
In your case, I would give 8:00 am a shot if nothing is said after a couple of weeks. I would give 7:30 am a try. Give that a couple of weeks and back it up to 7:00 am. You know......baby steps.

But whatever you do, don't be mess'n around with the exhaust on that boat. It's got a sweet rumble......:headbang:

03 35th Anniversary
07-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Uh, hours on our lake, nothing until 11 o' clock :(

If you can't be on the water till 11 :( then when do you have to off the water????????

trickskier
07-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Law say's 1/2 hour before Sunrise til 1/2 hour after Sunset............:D

However, I would try to be respectful, and workout a compromise with them.........It shouldn't be oneway...............;)

tex
07-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I beleive in the Sunrise to Sunset. Now I also beleive that if you are out at 6:30am, be respectful and don't have the Kid Rock cranked to level 15 and don't yell to your driver how you just f'n killed that 28 off pass!

chudson
07-19-2007, 04:39 PM
I try to be on the lake at daylight whether droping from the hoist or towing on the trailerto the lake, then staying till 10 or 11 or till the looneys come out. It doesn't always work that way but I try!

edit: we stay away from the fisherman and there is always a big wave to them and they always are waving back, it's like we both now we're doin what we love so it's a mutual admiration wave. My boat has the low inboard cackle so it's not loud and as always the 81 MC puts out a extremley small wake.

east tx skier
07-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Once the sun is out, I think it's fair game. 7 a.m. is late enough.

ProTour X9
07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
If you can't be on the water till 11 :( then when do you have to off the water????????

7:30:( :cry: :noface: Please don't make me depressed

starman205
07-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I usually wait till 6:30 AM. :)

WTRSK1R
07-19-2007, 08:10 PM
We are on the lake at 5:45AM about 4 days a week. The lakes we hit have no restrictions, and Wisconsin law is Sunup to Sunset is fair game as long as there are no local restrictions. We tend to go between 2 different lakes depending on whose boat we are behind so we do not disturb the same neighbors multiple days in a row. On one of the lakes it is not uncommon to see 3 other ski boats out at that time of the morning.

M-Funf
07-20-2007, 05:57 PM
When the sun hits the water, it's legal...and time :cool:

loeweb
07-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Individual situations for individual lakes. I say not only talk to them but invite them out to watch what you're doing. Let them see your passion for the sport so they know your not just tooling around. You're practicing and getting better and all that other motivational BS people like to hear. Get out as early as you can get away with. If they don't understand make them go to a higher power. then it should be an even fight. Until then, I'm with the majority If you can see the sun, you're too late.

Good luck,

WESSTAR
07-20-2007, 08:47 PM
Engine noise is one thing.Asking people not to use a lake is like asking people on the freeway to be quiet. Ok maybe that was a horrible example but it is all I got. I make it a point to keep the stereo off till at least 9:30-10 or until I get back in the narrows where no one can here us.

TMCNo1
07-21-2007, 08:48 PM
7:30 and no one in sight,

TMCNo1
07-21-2007, 08:50 PM
10:30 and time to go toward the boat ramp!
Smoker pulling a slalom skier,

TMCNo1
07-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Swivel Ski Practice,

tex
07-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Great Swivel water!

TMCNo1
07-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Great Swivel water!
They are just a local group who have swivel skied for as long as I can remember. Those gals must have skied for over a hour, then went in. They do it all, but just for the fun of it.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Tuff call Shep. Tuff call. I will throw this out here. In the winter time, we have two guys that plow for the church across the street from me. They are out there plowing at 6 am for the 10 am church service. I hate it. there is no reason for it, they can plow at 8 am and that would be plenty of time. so this spring, we get a late snow, the guyis out there at 5:30 am. I get totally pi$$ed off and called the pastor to register a complaint. I was very polite, but I could tell he didnt appreciate my complaining. he said he would "discuss" this with the plow guys. If they start this crazy shiot again next winter, I will politley ask again, then if they dont stop plowing at 5 or 6 am, I will contact the village council and take a not so frienly path. I dont want to go to war with the church over something like snowplowing in the middle of the night in a residential area, but I will if I have to. I will contact the church council, the village council, the police, whomever I have to. 8 am, is fine. 6 am, not so fine. :twocents:

06197ttlq9-footer
07-22-2007, 02:13 PM
The official rule in the TWRA hand book says that watersports should not start prior to the official sunrise and should stop at or befor official sunset. These time may be found in the weather section in your local daily newspaper. I would adhere to these rules whenever possible and whenever a TWRA officer(aka. THE MAN) or boat may be seen from your location. Anybody else that has a gripe should be directed to call said local agency to voice their complaint. Unofficially, i usually cant hear them over the roar of the engine, and encourage said complainer to voice their concern untill they have satisfied thier need to complain or get tired and give up. These options are left entirely to said complainer. This aplies to tubers and smokers as well as pond tumors.

Peace love and sweetwater for all.

JohnnyB
07-22-2007, 02:37 PM
There are no hours on the lake I ski on. That being said, we start as late as we figure we can get away with it before the jet skis and tubers come out.

Usually we'll be out between 7:30am and 8am and are off by 9:30 when the wallys come out.

tex
07-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I beleive in the Sunrise to Sunset. Now I also beleive that if you are out at 6:30am, be respectful and don't have the Kid Rock cranked to level 15 and don't yell to your driver how you just f'n killed that 28 off pass!
I still think that unless you are running straight pipes, the noise of an inboard is not that load. It's usually been the music or voices that wake us up! I usually like to hear a boat early in the morning. It's kinda like an alarm clock saying either get you tail up and go ski or get your tail up and mix a bloody mary!

Leroy
07-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Public lake should only have hours and rules for safety.

Do they stop bass boats from going in/out early/late?

stevenm2
07-22-2007, 04:31 PM
I say ski at daylight If people don't like the sound of a boat (any boat) they should not live on the lake. If they complain to your face "moon" them

Kaser
07-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Public lake should only have hours and rules for safety.

Do they stop bass boats from going in/out early/late?
bass boats aren't really noisy though, are they?

if you limit yourself 6 days a week because of them, don't you think it's only right they limit theirself 1 day a week for you??

Just ask them about it, that's your best bet :)

ProTour X9
07-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Our lake has hours for fishing time. But at 11:00 the **** fisherman are still on the lake!

John B
07-22-2007, 05:10 PM
Complaints about nosies are one thing. But complaints about people skiing in a course are not the same. The people that are in charge of running most lakes don't like them in less they ski in them.If it is a course on a public lake you are better off not to get complaints at all. The lake that I have my course on the law saids 7am,and if you starts at 6:55 the fishermen will complain. People that don't ski (fishermen) will complain about anything to get slalom courses out of their way. When I got the permit for my course I was told 1 compliant and it is out. Last week I got 4 in one day.Now it is going back to a MWD board meting to see if it gets to stay.

Leroy
07-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Ever been around start or stop of bass tournament. Or even that scream you can hear across the lake as they go 70MPH to the next spot? That noise does not bother me.

bass boats aren't really noisy though, are they?

My problem is most of the lakes around here are manmade with land taken by eminent domain - taxpayer dollars, then lake front lots are sold, then as big houses go up the very few with the houses start imposing rules on the general public. Often the rules are from a very few homeowners around the lake.

radley
07-22-2007, 06:18 PM
I think 7 a.m. is acceptable and required if you are a serious skiier. Most people are programmed to be up by then anyway and that is the best water here by far! Besides, coffee on the lake??? There is nothing better!!!

Kaser
07-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Besides, coffee on the lake??? There is nothing better!!!
except maybe a little herb. ;)

and yeah, boats going 70mph.. i have actually heard that noise... the smacking on the water...lol... good thing we don't have to go 70 mph to ski...

radley
07-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Funny! I actually did that last weekend! :)

Kaser
07-22-2007, 06:57 PM
Did what? There's a few different things you could have done in this thread. ;)

shepherd
07-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Complaints about nosies are one thing. But complaints about people skiing in a course are not the same. The people that are in charge of running most lakes don't like them in less they ski in them.If it is a course on a public lake you are better off not to get complaints at all. The lake that I have my course on the law saids 7am,and if you starts at 6:55 the fishermen will complain. People that don't ski (fishermen) will complain about anything to get slalom courses out of their way. When I got the permit for my course I was told 1 compliant and it is out. Last week I got 4 in one day.Now it is going back to a MWD board meting to see if it gets to stay.

That's just it. There are no rules on our lake, and I don't think our course is even permitted. It's been there for about 20 years, though it has disappeared or been vandalized a few times (so I've been told - I've only been there 3 years). I just want to avoid any complaints, and avoid anybody thinking about ripping the course out of the lake - it is easy to do, and it's been done before.

John B
07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Well the fishermen won.:mad: I just got the call telling me to get the course out tomorrow.Now we will have to have another board meeting to see if I can put it anywhere on the lake.