PDA

View Full Version : MasterCraft Open Bow Outboard

Capone
07-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what model of MasterCraft has an open bow with an outboard motor. I email MC and all they could tell me was the last year they made one, which is 1999. Does anyone know? Does anyone have any experience with them as far as their performance is concerned? I would want one for Tubing, Kneeboard, skiing etc...

ski_king
07-19-2007, 10:50 AM
PowerStar 200
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/4/6/3/0/1463053_1.jpg?1161068400000
sorry, no experience with one.

pilot02
07-19-2007, 10:54 AM
Helluva barefoot and Jump boat... Slalom?? (not much wake but lacks tracking fins) Tubing and other ok but honestly wouldn't want to use one with kids etc due to the outboard.

Closed bow versions (predecessors) were the Barefoot 200 and Prostar 200

06197ttlq9-footer
07-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Great barefoot boat ! How much $ 4 it?

Capone
07-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the picture. I couldn't find one any where.

Capone
07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
If anyone has links to other pictures of MC like that I'd appreciate it.

Sodar
07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Here are some pics: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11720&highlight=powerstar

Sodar
07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Couple More: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=118742&postcount=7

Chicago190
07-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Helluva barefoot and Jump boat... Slalom?? (not much wake but lacks tracking fins) Tubing and other ok but honestly wouldn't want to use one with kids etc due to the outboard.

Closed bow versions (predecessors) were the Barefoot 200 and Prostar 200

In one of the other posts about the Powerstar 200 it says that it has a tracking fin?

Capone
07-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks. I think its a pretty sweet looking boat. I'm trying to win my wife over. She's not sure about having an OB. I think it would be less maintence.

pilot02
07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
In one of the other posts about the Powerstar 200 it says that it has a tracking fin?

I could have my models confused but I'm fairly certain the Powerstar did not have tracking fins. There's a thread here somewhere which discusses the specific differences between the three models..

BriEOD
07-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I am pretty sure it did not have fins. I believe they made them in 98 and 99.

krbaugh
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I can gurantee you that they The PowerStar did have tracking fins.
I owned 2 of them. I drive one before they had tracking fins and they would not trun around in a football field

schwartz36
12-07-2007, 06:32 PM
I have a 1998 Powerstar 200 and it has tracking fins.

BrianM
12-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Powerstars had tracking fins

Prostar 200 had tracking fins

Barefoot 200 did NOT have fins

uawaterskier
12-07-2007, 07:05 PM
i want one...thats such a cool looking boat

C36
12-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Capone:

When we were considering buying our new-to-us MasterCraft I spoke with our local marine mechanic (40+ years of experience with all different kinds of boats). This guy is very straight forward and I asked/trusted him to do the pre-purchase inspection on what is now our boat. Before I put the conditional offer in our boat I asked him to rank all the different types of drive trains he works on from most reliable to least reliable - here is how he ranked them:

1. inboard - direct drive
2. inboard - V-drive
3. outboard - 4-stroke
4. I/O
5. outboard - 2-stroke

My Dad was pretty happy to learn that his boat was at the bottom of the list :mad: and our boat was at the top of the list :) . ;)

Just passing this along for your consideration. Good luck with your boat search! I hope you find a great boat for your family.

C36

Thanks. I think its a pretty sweet looking boat. I'm trying to win my wife over. She's not sure about having an OB. I think it would be less maintence.

88 PS190
12-07-2007, 07:40 PM
1. inboard - direct drive
2. inboard - V-drive
3. outboard - 4-stroke
4. I/O
5. outboard - 2-stroke

My take on this.

Inboard DD- Simple straight forwards utilizes a V8 engine that most every mechanic in the united states is used to. The trans is also a straight forward unit. Maintainance falls into the same catagories as is does for an automobile engine - change oil at interval and check between changes, same for trans. Winterizing the engine does require perhaps more tinkering than it does on an outboard.

2. V-drives, similar to DD engines mounted flipped around backwards. And the trans therefore has another set of gears to accomplish the V portion of things... otherwise same thing, but less space to do it.

For the rest of them, sterndrive I/O boats have the same engine work to do, but you also have to take care of the lower unit, this requires greasing the gimbal, which on most you should actually be removing the lower unit in order to accomplish this task. Its a bit of a pain in the butt, will take a normal person about an hour and a half to pull the thing off, clean out old grease, inspect the bearings and the bellows regrease the zerks and put it back together. That's a pain and if water does get in there and ruin it you'll start having terrible throb and eventually failure. You have to do the fluid change in the lower unit, its hypoid fluid type stuff which is nasty and smells like snot. also you need a pump to get fluid back into the top of the thing... so I/O's are a pain. They also ski like total butt

Outboards, well you have easy access to everything, and the kind of self winterize. 2 cycles are just like other 2 cycle engines, you need to have oil either mixed or on engines the size and age of these injected which means make sure the res. is full. You need to change fluid in the lower unit just the same as with sterndrives.

4 cycles are nice because they are quieter, better for the environment, and have valves etc. which make them easier to start cold or what not.

But then on the otherside of thing there is what it takes to rebuild these things when something does go wrong, I would say I/O's are the worst, the sterndrive units are expensive to repair/replace.

Myself, I would not buy a barefoot/powerstar unless I did barefoot as my main sport. Its harder to hold speed in them, they have a prop on the back, and not a full width swim platform, which makes it harder to get your stuff on, and the rear of the boat becomes less accessible. They are ready made for footing. The speed you need, lots of room in the boat to walk around and make a fool of yourself.

But for skiing, and particularly if you have kids in the boat and want to talk etc. you want an inboard.

SunCoast 83
12-08-2007, 12:39 AM
Used to ski behind Barefoot 200's in Barefoot tournaments...it a tight little boat.

Never2old
12-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I also have a 1998 Powestar200 it has two tracking fins located just under the pylon. I think it's a great boat, have raised four kids on it and have taught countless teenagers how to wakeboard and slalom. I added perfect pass and a tower which made all of the diference for wakeboarding and getting a decent pull myself. I love the space it gives you to carry people and coolers without having to climb over everything.

JohnnyB
12-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what model of MasterCraft has an open bow with an outboard motor. I email MC and all they could tell me was the last year they made one, which is 1999. Does anyone know? Does anyone have any experience with them as far as their performance is concerned? I would want one for Tubing, Kneeboard, skiing etc...

Please bear in mind that this is my opinion.....

Given your uses being skiing, kneeboarding and tubing, I think i'd consider an inboard. Like others said, you get the full swim platform, better holding at speed, less exposure to the prop, etc. Also, if you have kids, chances are you'll be pulling a wakeboard from time-to-time and in that case, you'll be happier with an inboard.

Also, with your uses in mind, consider a V-drive as you'll get more seating room.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've owned outboards and loved them. However, you're talking about spending a similar amount of money and an inboard will serve your needs better.

If you buy an MC, you'll be happy with whatever you buy :D

Let us know what you choose and post pictures when you get it. :cool:

atlfootr
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Please bear in mind that this is my opinion.....

Given your uses being skiing, kneeboarding and tubing, I think i'd consider an inboard. Like others said, you get the full swim platform, better holding at speed, less exposure to the prop, etc. Also, if you have kids, chances are you'll be pulling a wakeboard from time-to-time and in that case, you'll be happier with an inboard.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've owned outboards and loved them. However, you're talking about spending a similar amount of money and an inboard will serve your needs better.

If you plan to do ALL THE ABOVE -- BUY INBOARD!
Right now, you have NO IDEA how much BETTER OFF you'll be!

It's a MAJOR PITA (no need to spell it out for you) climb'n in and out of a BAREFOOT 200 w/ ski's and all that other crap, that's why I don't allow 'em on my boat :rant:

WE JUS' FOOT!!

Ole & Bonnie
04-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Any chance you'd consider selling your Powerstar?? I'm a cash buyer, been searching for the "right one" for some time now. If ever interested in selling, let me know. I've been to both coasts to look at two in the recent past, but both were pretty heavily used. Thanks for any interest you might have.
Pat Doyle
ptdoyle@charter.net
(920) 267-2398

wakeX2wake
04-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Capone:
i've got a '93 maristar 225 vrs for sale... it had very low hrs on a new engine which runs great... also low hrs on the hull as well... i cleaned it up this weekend... the interior/upholstery is practically spotless w/ very minor nicks... i cleaned it to look like new... it's a 23 footer so it's a GREAT family boat w/ room for everybody to stretch out (i've had like 12 or 13 people in there before and was pulling skiers and wakeboarders)... and drives like a dream w/ good wakes for skiing and wakeboarding