PDA

View Full Version : 225VRS loss of power question

nashvillematt
02-22-2005, 11:24 AM
I fired up the MC yesterday for the first time this year. I decided to make a long run up the lake and back (about 50 miles) to see if anything was going to misfire / break on the test run. I did not have any problems on the way up. But, coming back, I had it in the wind and running about 4500rpm (45mph) and the engine made a tone adjustment and the speed went down by about 4-5 mph. It felt like I lost some of the power. After throttling down and then back up it was fine.....but did it again later.

I was thinking that it could be the thermostat stuck open. My guage reads 125 degrees continiously. I was thinking that it shoudl be in the 140-150 range.

Any thoughts on this?

Jorski
02-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Take a look at the fuel filters...I had a similar problem ans it turned out to be stuff stuck on the intake screen of the fuel pump.

Thrall
02-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Probably what Jorski said, some restriction in the fuel path that "caught up" to sufficient fuel again when you throttled down.
You should be in the 160 deg range for water temps, maybe thermostat stuck open??

tim5955
02-22-2005, 09:13 PM
I have a 1997 225, I was wondering how may hours and what if any problems you have had with yours. I have around 350 hrs and only minor problems such as the altenator bracket, belt, seat skins, etc. Mine looks like new, has been garaged all it's life, I added a tower stereo and it all works fine. But I'm considering a new or new model X Star. Not sure what I can expect in the way of problems with the age of my boat. What kind of history have you had? Your comments are appreciated.

nashvillematt
02-23-2005, 10:58 AM
I actually cant give you ANY advice.

I bought mine last year (1995 VRS 225) with 14 hours on it. Some super wealthy fellow bought it to run on his private lake. It was always garaged and was as good as new when I got it. Dealer stood behind it and had all of the service and winterization logs. I got it for a good price and have loved everything about it.

If I were trading up, I would not focus on the x-series. I would go get a 230 Maristar and add a tower and ballast. Have you seen one done this way? Baddest boats that I see around and it has the luxury feel of a nice car.

Sorry that I can not help you. But, anything that you can tell me about yours is greatly appreciated!

MS

Leroy
02-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Matt; That is a lot of sitting, 95 with 14 hours! Clearly not good for the engine to run that cold, first problem to attack. Could be a partial fuel blockage or weak fuel pump. If it only did this twice in 100 miles, I would be tempted to keep running, could be lumps of gas going through.

Congrats on the NEW boat!

tim5955
02-23-2005, 10:35 PM
Matt,

One or two suggestions. Make sure you keep a conditioner on the seats after cleaning as they will drt out anc crack in the seams if you do not. If you do not have a brand I can makea recomendation or my buddy uses a product called 309.
Do you have a tower? Do you paln to put one on? If so, let me know. I can send you photos of mine, It looks great, but it's not the most sturdy one I've seen. Of course I also hand an airchair, boards, etc on it.
Tim 614-324-2846

nashvillematt
02-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I have had the boat for a year and do have a tower. Monster tower to be exact...best around for the buck.

I will start taking better care of my vinyl and plan on conditioning it this year.

Last year was all about learning...
I learned that vinyl will tear after placing a wakeboard fin on it.
I learned that when coming off plane when the tank is low....you are truly out of gas.
I learned rocks and stumps bend props, but they can be easily fixed.
I learned....when out by yourself dont freak out if your boat wont start...put the kill switch back on and look around to see if anyone saw you freaking out.
I learned plugs are a good thing, and a buddy with good ears is also a good person to have pulling the trailer back up the ramp.
I learned that if water is coming in the boat fast...its the exaust hose that slipped off.

Yeah....2004 is all about learning. 2005 is all about learning inverts.

MS

lakes Rick
02-24-2005, 05:58 PM
I have had the boat for a year and do have a tower. Monster tower to be exact...best around for the buck.

I learned that when coming off plane when the tank is low....you are truly out of gas.

MS

This could be your problem.. Running out of gas can damage or ruin your fuel pump.. ( I think mine is bad) Do a fuel pressure test....

And leaving wet towels on your sun pad will stain lighter colored vinyl...

nashvillematt
02-25-2005, 10:36 AM
I only ran out one time.....It was right at the marina, and didnt try to turn it over anymore. That was the same month that I bought it...and I didnt have any problems until about the end of the season...

I am thinking its the fuel filter.

Thanks for the vinyl warning though....Thats all I need!

greeneng
02-25-2005, 11:23 AM
If the boat sat a long time, then was started, or you put fuel in it and started it, there may have been a lot of deposits in the fuel. On my 95 PS190, the fuel filter is after the pump, and the strainer in the pump collects these. Eventually, the engine cannot get sufficient gas, and the ECM throttles it back. Take the fuel pump off and inspect inside it (do all of this very carefully). If you find a lot of gunk in the strainer, clean it out and put the pump back on. There are instructions on this board and on skiboathelp.com about doing this. If this does not help, and your fuel filter is in the tank, you may have to clean out the tank and replace that filter. The problem does sound like insufficient fuel flow.

east tx skier
02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Matt, for fuel system buildup, there's a product called Seafoam that some people, myself included have had good luck with. Warm it up, half a can in the throttle body, half a can in the tank. Shut it down, let it sit for 20 minutes. Crank it up, and drive it like you stole it.

nashvillematt
03-01-2005, 11:46 AM
When you say half a can in the throttle body.....what do you mean by this. I work on my boat all of the time and know where the throttle body cover is, but have never taken it off....Can you give me a little more help?

I plan on doing the SeaFoam this weekend. Plus, I am going to change the fuel filter.

MS

east tx skier
03-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Matt, I apologize, I was typing a bit ahead of myself that day. Since you have either TBI or MPI and I have a carb, there may be a slight difference in our installation. I'm pouring half a can slowly into the intake on my carb (just enough to not kill it, then, when I get down to the bottom of what I'm going to use, pour the rest in there until it stalls). On a TBI, I think you can go this same route. I'm far from a mechanic, so if I'm using the wrong terms, I apologize.

On a Ford forum, it was recommended that (for an F150 for example), you pull a vac intake hose and let it suck up the seafoam from a container.

I haven't played with this stuff enough to really give it the thumbs up yet, but I've spoken to several people who have had very good experiences with it. I don't think it will fix problems that already exist, but it might be good preventative maintenance. $6 at NAPA (NAPA has been the only place I've found it).