PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new Ski

WAT8415
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
For the past month I have been skiing about twice a day with a few days a week taken off to rest, do laundry and catch up on chores around the house. I feel I am ready to move up from my current ski, a 69" Connelly F1X. I have skied on my cousin's 68" HO Phantom and I really liked it. Last week we picked up a portable course and hopefully we will get it in this weekend and start skiing the course. I will get a better idea after this weekend if we get the course set up as to how well I can actually ski. I figured I would get some input from the group on a new ski and if anyone has one they would like to sell, let me know. My height is 5' 10" and I weight about 205.

TI Skiier
07-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I just pickled up a 68" Monza this year. I am about your size. Great ski.

H20skeefreek
07-20-2007, 07:48 AM
If you've not skied the course on a regular basis, I'd stick with the f1x for a little while before switching. get comfortable at the lower speeds on the f1x, then upgrade to a Monza/System 8 or the new Obrien SS or the world record holding Connelly F1.

dpolen
07-20-2007, 08:31 AM
I really like my 67" HO Triumph...its a nice ski for someone who likes to free-ski and try to get through the course. The shaped skis make turns a lot easier, but they are designed to ski under 32mph.

cm02WS6
07-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I'm on a D3 Nomad, and I really love it. Myself, as well as everyone I know on a D3, has really liked their D3's right out of the box. Some skis will need a lot of fin tweaking to get right, but the D3's don't need much (if any) of that to ski good.

BrianM
07-20-2007, 09:22 AM
If you've not skied the course on a regular basis, I'd stick with the f1x for a little while before switching. get comfortable at the lower speeds on the f1x, then upgrade .

What he said about staying on your current ski until you get somewhat comfortable skiing the course at slower speeds.

WAT8415
07-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the feed back. Wow talk about making slalom skiing fun! Got the course in on Friday (skipped work), skied Friday, Saturday Morning, Sat afternoon, Tue night and this morning. I started out at 28 mph @ 15 off to get use to the course. I have bumped it up to 30 mph @ 15 off this morning.

I have gotten two different pieces of advice, one start cutting rope and stay at the slower speed, or two keep at 15 off and work up to 34 mph. Any advice here?

I just picked up a 2006 D3 Nomad 67" for $450, no boots. I was just thinking of using the stokers off my F1X until I can get some new bindings. I have skied in the HO Animal's and I like them, any suggestions?

cm02WS6
07-25-2007, 03:33 PM
There's a couple schools of thought there, but I'd say get to your max speed before cutting the line. I just think that the high-end skis work better at the higher speeds. At your weight you'll tend to sink in the turns, which can induce some bad form. Then when you are working on a new pass, maybe drop the speed down a little to help you get used to it, like 1 mph just for a little help.

dmayer84
07-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Why are you taking a thread about looking for a new ski and turning it into a class action suit against mastercraft? If you even bothered to look at anything first youll see that he has a 91 PS 190 definately not a v drive. Remember this is a MC owned board, the way you are talking I dont see you being around too much longer

H20skeefreek
07-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Dmayer,

Why? Because he's a troll, though not a typical troll. He's actually got a history on the board.....a history of complaining and swearing and being belligerent. Anyone considering suing someone, who has ACTUALLY spoken to a lawyer would know that you don't go around blabbing your intentions on a web forum being unprofessional and rude and screaming out threats. He's simply trying to scare his dealer. Furthermore, he knows NOTHING about class action lawsuits, as you have to actually have more than one person to pursue it.

WAT,

If you are going with rubber bindings, get the Animals or Wiley's. The new Animals are GREAT with the leather/leatherette material which are MUCH less likely to tear.....they look cool too.

TMCNo1
07-26-2007, 09:09 AM
I see a Closed/Deleted thread and some serious PM's in the near future.

Looks like TMC/TT Admin and the Moderators will be busy again today!

I've got some serious things to do today, so I think I'll let this play out and see the results later. This stuff is getting old, so everyone go to the principles office, (((NOW)))!