PDA

View Full Version : Quick battery question

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey guys, I am installing a third battery. It will be to assist my accessories (#2) battery. I was told to just run it parallel with the #2 battery. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. I leave all the accessories on battery #2 and then put positive to positive and negative to negative with the #3 battery. Now #2 and #3 should act as one big battery. Since I have a perko switch for batterries #1 and #2, how does this effect battery #3? Is it that simple? Are there any downsides to hooking it up like this?

nuckinfutz
07-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Its just that simple. Your new Battery (#3) is just a extension to #2. Just as if # 2 was a bigger battery.

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Thanks dude.

Kaser
07-19-2007, 06:10 AM
You could even look into HO Altinators.

I put those in cars with systems to give more juice to the amplifire to hit those high 150db's :)

You might not even need a 3rd battery. I don't know if they make those for water engines or not though.

ksmaristar91
07-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Your 3rd battery should be the same as the 2nd if you are going to run them in Parralell.

quincyfirefighter
07-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Why do you need a 3rd battery. What are you running on your acc battery? Is it sized right for your draw. I'm running on two Optima Blue Tops, sizes D31M, D34M. with Diesel's dual battery set up. Running three amps with no problems.

atlfootr
07-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Red = POSITIVE
Black= NEGITIVE
:uglyhamme
Good luck w/ everything else .....

TX.X-30 fan
07-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Red = POSITIVE
Black= NEGITIVE

Help like that is what makes this TT so irreplaceable. :D :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
07-19-2007, 01:15 PM
You could even look into HO Altinators.

I put those in cars with systems to give more juice to the amplifire to hit those high 150db's :)

You might not even need a 3rd battery. I don't know if they make those for water engines or not though.

Search Balmar alts. they make any size you need for marine applications. The more amps you use it will soon overload the stock 70amp. Running a Balmar from Jackrabbit marine, 150 amp but I have 6amps. :D I have never had a problem with their setup, I have 2 Kinetics for acc. and an optima just for the starter.

chudson
07-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Red = POSITIVE
Black= NEGITIVE

Good one.............

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Red = POSITIVE
Black= NEGITIVE

Ingenious! You know whats funny is my pops was helping me install the battery and he told me the same thing like 5 times. No confidence in me....hahaha.

I'm installing the 3rd batterry because my second battery is just a cheap deep cycle marine battery I bought from Kragen. Its just for added insurance for those days when I go away for three day getaways and don't get a chance to charge at night. I'm only running two amps but there are days when I play my stereo for 4-5 hour periods.

Quincyfirefighter, Ks, I know I should just get two bluetops and problem solved but I didn't want to scrap the two batteries I already have and buy two new bluetops, plus I have tons of room to add the third battery. My third battery matches also so thats not an issue.

Kaser,Tx, I'll look into a bigger alternator as well. I wasn't sure if having three batteries was gonna have an effect on the alternator. That was gonna be the next thing I looked into.

Kaser
07-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Also make sure you use the right guage for connecting the batterys.

Off the top of my head, i believe 8 guage will only allow up to around 550 watts to flow through it... and you can get alot more with 4,2, or 0 guage...

:)

Diesel
07-21-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm installing the 3rd batterry because my second battery is just a cheap deep cycle marine battery I bought from Kragen. Its just for added insurance for those days when I go away for three day getaways and don't get a chance to charge at night. I'm only running two amps but there are days when I play my stereo for 4-5 hour periods.

If you do this you will kill both your Acc batteries. When you place two batteries in parallel they should be identical, size, ratings, age, type, etc.....

TX.X-30 fan
07-21-2007, 07:01 PM
If you do this you will kill both your Acc batteries. When you place two batteries in parallel they should be identical, size, ratings, age, type, etc.....

Does that apply to agm batteries as well?? I have 2 agm batteries as acc. and they are not the same amp hr. output. In my second year with this setup without any problems. :confused:

Thanks.

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-21-2007, 10:12 PM

My two acc batteries are exactly the same. Age wise, one is about 3 1/2 months older. Would that make much of a difference?