PDA

View Full Version : Look what Fedex brought today! ZIPSLED!!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
OK! Fedex truck brought me a zipsled today! Yee haw!!! brightened up my day! I gave it a quick wash and ripped off the fedex stickers and she is good as new! :) OK, heres the deal: a have a few friends that have kids and they dont know how to water ski. SO I figured a zip sled would entice them to try. at least they can get acclomated to the water, being towed by the boat, etc... but my real motive for getting a zipsled is this: Two of the kids I want to teach are hearing impaired. Their father who is one of my best friends would love to have me teach them to ski as he has loved waterskiing since he was a child. But we have logistics problems.... The kids cant wear their hearing aids in the water, and they cannot hear without their hearing aids. so teaching them to water ski is very difficult as they cannot hear you speaking commands & advice once they are in the water. So I figured if I could start them on the boom with skis or a skimmer after they are used to the zipsled, I could attach the zipsled on a short line on the boom where I could sit on it & ride right next to them, that way I could shout commands to them so they could hear me. If you are near them and shout, they can hear you. Thats my plan. I dont know if it will work, but I am sure going to try. Its the only way I could think of to have them hear me when they are in the water. Once they get the basics on the boom, they should be able to take it from there to shortline and longline.

Thanks Johnny! You are just too cool man! I really appreciate EVERYTHING you did with this zipsled deal. THANK YOU!!!! I think you are going to help two kids learn to ski! This board is an amazing place.

Don

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/sled2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/sled1.jpg

03 35th Anniversary
07-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Sweet......... I am glad to see that you got it. The story about the kids make me feel even better about sending it. I wish could have gotten it to you sooner. Just think that thing was just a couple of days from going in the trash........ You got to post pics. for me their first time out.....

Johnny

Flatwaterfooter
07-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Great story best of luck to you. It is the small stuff like that that is really fun for all involved.

roddydog
07-18-2007, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE= Two of the kids I want to teach are hearing impaired. [/QUOTE]

ASL is an amazing thing.

You can "talk" to the kids 75' behind your boat and they will get it.

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
UMP, that's a cool story! But, why is the Zipsled wet? You been riding it around a wet yard being pulled by the Ester?:woohoo:

ProTour X9
07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
UMP you are one cool dude

pq2
07-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Congrats UMP, let us know how the process go. Good luck!!!

btw, i think it also has something to do with capes and super heros.

atlfootr
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Looks like ALOT of FUN, now get on it and USE IT :D
We want pictures!!!!!!!

07-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Sweet......... I am glad to see that you got it. The story about the kids make me feel even better about sending it. I wish could have gotten it to you sooner. Just think that thing was just a couple of days from going in the trash........ You got to post pics. for me their first time out.....

Johnny
Johnny, you da man! :worthy: Thanks again!! I hope to repay the favor one day. I think the kids will love this! :) I will post pics when I get the kids out on it.

07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
ASL is an amazing thing.

You can "talk" to the kids 75' behind your boat and they will get it.
you mean sign laungage?? they never had to learn it because of their hearing level I guess. I dont really know..... with hearing aids, they can hear normal so they werent made to learn it. :confused:

07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
UMP, that's a cool story! But, why is the Zipsled wet? You been riding it around a wet yard being pulled by the Ester?:woohoo:
Just washed it Harold! :D all set for a rope and in the truck it goes ready for the lake!

atlfootr
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Johnny, you da man! :worthy:
Thanks again!! I hope to repay the favor one day.
I think the kids will love this! :)
I will post pics when I get the kids out on it.That's MADE FOR BOAT pulling, right! :cool:
Thought maybe just for snow, but what do I know?
I'm jus'a good 'ol Southern :wavey:

east tx skier
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM
Awesome, UMP! That's actually a Bob Sked, which I think is preferable to the original zip sleds. Also, that's a cool orange version without the hood. Nice find!

ski_king
07-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Way to go Don and Johnny! Thats what I like about this site!

Here is a old ad for one.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=445&stc=1&d=1122083621

07-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Awesome, UMP! That's actually a Bob Sked, which I think is preferable to the original zip sleds. Also, that's a cool orange version without the hood. Nice find!
Cool, Bob sked, OK. I see. I didnt know the difference. THanks East!:) :wavey: eitherway, It will do the job fine! This is just like the one I had when I was a kid. :D

03 35th Anniversary
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Johnny, you da man! :worthy: Thanks again!! I hope to repay the favor one day. I think the kids will love this! :) I will post pics when I get the kids out on it.

Don't worry about repaying the favor. I have to do a good deed every so often to get rid of some of the bad ones....:D 8p You posting pics. of these kids getting some good use out of it is enough for me........

6ballsisall
07-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Very cool Ump!!! I noticed you used Fedex this time. Were you worried about a repeat with UPS???? :D :D

07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Very cool Ump!!! I noticed you used Fedex this time. Were you worried about a repeat with UPS???? :D :D
OH hardee har har Randol! 8p NO more USPS for me! UPS or Fedex all the way bay-bay! :D But Johnny was so cool to send it to me that I wasnt going to be choosey on shipping options.

Rockman
07-19-2007, 09:38 AM
UMP,

Bring it to Minoqua next week. I'll do step offs from it. ;)

07-19-2007, 09:44 AM
UMP,

Bring it to Minoqua next week. I'll do step offs from it. ;)
HA! OK, but dont wreck it! I was going to lend it to Erk to haul frozen chicken around at MM3.;) :D

Jkelly
07-19-2007, 09:49 AM
That's cool, the kids will be smiling from ear to ear.

east tx skier
07-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Cool, Bob sked, OK. I see. I didnt know the difference. THanks East!:) :wavey: eitherway, It will do the job fine! This is just like the one I had when I was a kid. :D

We've always called them zip sleds by default. But as the difference goes, the blue thing my little boy is riding is a zip sled. The orange and yellow ones with the handles on the side are bob skeds. I always prefered the bob skeds.

07-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Whats the easiest way to hook them up East?? give them a dedicated rope? or sling teh ski rop handle to it somehow?? :confused:

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 11:54 AM
OH hardee har har Randol! 8p NO more USPS for me! UPS or Fedex all the way bay-bay! :D But Johnny was so cool to send it to me that I wasnt going to be choosey on shipping options.

Was Dale Jarrett driving the UPS truck?:rolleyes:

tex
07-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Ump-Have you thought about doing a jump out barefoot start off the zip sled/bob sled?

chudson
07-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Ump-Have you thought about doing a jump out barefoot start off the zip sled/bob sled?

Yea that's the ticket, wear the wet suit and sit forward so you don't porpise and hang your legs over the side.

07-19-2007, 10:19 PM
NO WAY! that sled is for the kids. I aint gonna wreck it with my fat arse on it!

BTW, I got it all rigged up to tow! I bought a ski rope on sale today from a local SG store. $15. I got it set up just like my old one was back in the day. :) I am hoping for weather to use it this weekend.

BriEOD
07-19-2007, 10:28 PM
We've always called them zip sleds by default. But as the difference goes, the blue thing my little boy is riding is a zip sled. The orange and yellow ones with the handles on the side are bob skeds. I always prefered the bob skeds.
Thanks Cliff (Claven)! I have a bob sked as well. Cody has been training with it. Hand-over-hand across the pool.

tex
07-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Yea that's the ticket, wear the wet suit and sit forward so you don't porpise and hang your legs over the side.
No, standing jump out!

east tx skier
07-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks Cliff (Claven)! I have a bob sked as well. Cody has been training with it. Hand-over-hand across the pool.

Sure think, Nick Tortelli (you'll recall that Nick was Carla's husband).

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/ZipSledAd.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/BobSked.jpg

03 35th Anniversary
07-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Sure think, Nick Tortelli (you'll recall that Nick was Carla's husband).

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/ZipSledAd.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/BobSked.jpg
Looking at the ads I had no idea that thing was that old...............

east tx skier
07-20-2007, 10:45 AM
They haven't made the Bob Skeds since the late 70s early 80s. The blue ones (Capt./Admiral Zip Sleds) have been selling for over $300 on ebay this year, which is insane. I believe they were made until the late 60s. The Bob Skeds can be had for $20 (at least that's what I paid for mine). Probably because people search for "zip sled" but omit other terms that will yield results. Neither of the ones I found was listed as a zip sled.

03 35th Anniversary
07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
They haven't made the Bob Skeds since the late 70s early 80s. The blue ones (Capt./Admiral Zip Sleds) have been selling for over $300 on ebay this year, which is insane. I believe they were made until the late 60s. The Bob Skeds can be had for $20 (at least that's what I paid for mine). Probably because people search for "zip sled" but omit other terms that will yield results. Neither of the ones I found was listed as a zip sled.

After reading this when I get back home in a couple of weeks. I am going to go out to the barn and dig out all the old boards I got, and see what they are. There is 4 or 5 old boards out there and one of them is blue and they are all old...........

07-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Too cool Johnny!:cool:

east tx skier
07-20-2007, 03:34 PM
After reading this when I get back home in a couple of weeks. I am going to go out to the barn and dig out all the old boards I got, and see what they are. There is 4 or 5 old boards out there and one of them is blue and they are all old...........

The blue one is either the captain or the admiral ZS. My father in law has the "Admiral." I've only seen one Catain. It didn't have the channels on the bottom, but had some foot gripping molding on the rear.

fintek9
07-20-2007, 06:00 PM
UMP, DO NOT FORGET THE CAMERAfor the maiden voyage! a must see.

07-20-2007, 06:44 PM
UMP, DO NOT FORGET THE CAMERAfor the maiden voyage! a must see.
NO problem man!!!:D

03 35th Anniversary
07-21-2007, 10:00 AM
UMP, is today the big day for those kids????????

07-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Johnny, as promised, pics of the Bob sked IN USE! we had a blast yesterday! The Mayor's daughter was all about learning to ride the sled. Here is her progression. but first, The mayor had to try it to show her the routine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1227.jpg

the start

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1234.jpg

She is getting courage now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1238.jpg

07-22-2007, 10:54 AM
a little more courage!!! I think I can!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1241.jpg

i know I can!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1245.jpg

VICTORY!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1250.jpg

07-22-2007, 10:56 AM
LOOK DAD! its easy!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1254.jpg

Here she is waving to her Mom. what a pro!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1261.jpg

Here is the Mayorial water vessel.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/guitarzan1972/IMG_1265.jpg

07-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks again Johnny! That sled wont go to waste! We will certainly put it to use. Mayor said he almost had a tear in his eye watching her out there when she stood up and smiled. He was so proud of her, we all were. Keep in mind, she couldnt hear a thing out there. hearing aids were in the boat. The best part was, she told us after she wanted to try some kids skis. so that will be our next adventure. I cant wait to teach her to ski!! :)

Thanks Johnny!! :toast:

Don

BTW, all photos were curtousy of Ms. UMP from the engine cover.

JohnnyB
07-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Awesome pics UMP:D

Kaser
07-22-2007, 02:34 PM
UMP, I have a set of old old child ski's that I learned how to ski on when I was 2-4 years old behind the boat.

They're white and purple, and... last time I saw seemed kinda ruff condition.. paint chipping and what not. i'll go take alook for them right quick.

edit

If it's anything you're interested in, here are a pic of the skis.
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/834/dcfc0011sw8.jpg - top
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6146/dcfc0012ne7.jpg - bottom

as you can see there is some paint chipping but everything else is still intact and lookin good! :)

tex
07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Ump-Great pics! Love the Mayor's boat. Nothing like a drinking island to base camp from!

03 35th Anniversary
07-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks again Johnny! That sled wont go to waste! We will certainly put it to use. Mayor said he almost had a tear in his eye watching her out there when she stood up and smiled. He was so proud of her, we all were. Keep in mind, she couldnt hear a thing out there. hearing aids were in the boat. The best part was, she told us after she wanted to try some kids skis. so that will be our next adventure. I cant wait to teach her to ski!! :)

Thanks Johnny!! :toast:

Don

BTW, all photos were curtousy of Ms. UMP from the engine cover.
Those great pics. Don. Ms. UMP did a great job. Looks like the little girl is going to be a regular water bug. Keep posting them pics. and up date us on her status.:headbang:

BTW. Tell your buddy the Mayor. I think that thing has a weight limit.....:D

Mag_Red
07-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Great Pics UMP! You da Man!:worthy:

07-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks all! :wavey:

Johnny, no damage from the mayor on the bobsked. although I wont let him ride it again. he told me that sled would have been fun about 100 lbs ago. 8p he said its just too difficult for an adult to ride on. too funny though.

Kaser, PM at ya!

east tx skier
07-23-2007, 10:01 AM
UMP, awesome pictures.

pq2
07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
you must feel so proud, congratulations, looking a kid so happy is the best feeling.

TMCNo1
07-23-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks Don, for sharing the adventure and keep it up!

07-23-2007, 10:46 AM
you must feel so proud, congratulations, looking a kid so happy is the best feeling.
I feel so proud anytime I get a beginner on skis the first time, or when I get someone on one ski the first time, or anything like that. I love to teach people to ski and see them succeed. Now keep in mind that I am a NOVICE barefooter, but I even taught the mayor to successfully tumble up start. he was doing step offs but wanted to tumble up so badly as he dont like messing with the stepoff ski, and just wants to master the tumble up, so I coached him what I knew and kept encouraging him. Ms UMP and I took him out one day with nobody around, just us, so there was no pressure from spectators. I just reminded him not to rush and panic. He always tried to jam his feet in the water as soon as he twisted himself around. just in a hurry. I reminded him to relax and calm down and think. He did it no problem then. it was a cool victory for him as a footer, and me as a teacher. Fun stuff!

fintek9
07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Very cool UMP, very cool. Thanks for the pics,

Hey, was wonderin. Is the plastic slippery? Is there built in grippage? You could put some of that surfers sex wax on if it is!

07-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Very cool UMP, very cool. Thanks for the pics,

Hey, was wonderin. Is the plastic slippery? Is there built in grippage? You could put some of that surfers sex wax on if it is! Its got grippy areas for your feet so they dont slip.

Maristar210
07-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Good story Don, your a good person :cool:

Remember when training the mayor, if all else fails tie a Corona to the Boom and he'll get up :D

fintek9
07-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Its got grippy areas for your feet so they dont slip.
Kind of thought there would of been something built in! could'nt tell.

07-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Good story Don, your a good person :cool:

Remember when training the mayor, if all else fails tie a Corona to the Boom and he'll get up :D
FUNNY STORY! you mention Corona. Well his wife drink Corona. Mayor will drink anything with alchohol in it. so he was drinking some Turbo Blue (Old milwaukee light) and his wife hates Turbo blue beer. so she always drinks with one of those neoprene coozies around the bottle to keep it cool. so Smart arse mr. mayor decides to have some fun, he offers to get her a fresh beer, and takes her empty, so he hides and poors one of his Old Milwaukees into her Corona bottle. so she is drinking it and drinking it, and starts making funny faces after a drink of beer. finally she puts it together and hollars "YOU _________!!!" at the mayor and he just busts out laughing and cant stop! :D