PDA

View Full Version : D3 Nomad vs. Goode 9800

jwroblew
07-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Any one have any thoughts about the D3 Nomad vs the Goode 9800. I am in the market for a new ski, personal best is 5 @ 28 off, 36 mph, looking to get into 32 off this year and 35 off next year?

betsy&david Harrison
07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
They are both incredible skis. Pretty much an East Coast/West Coast preference. Since you're in the middle...take your pick! I'm pretty sure you can demo them...better yet, come out to the Waterski Nationals in Arvin, Ca this August and you can demo them both for free (I know the D3's will anyway). Goode is always out there too. They bring their top reps out every year.

André
07-18-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm on a new Nomad RC and always been on Dennis Kidder skis and always found them very nice right out of the box.I'm no tech guru with skis so i prefer a ski with inserts then use velcro and hardshells bindings.
A friend came with a new 9800 when i got my D3 and the fit and finish wasn't even close to my Nomad for what it's worth...
Tried one hole forward this morning and and not sure of it...
I ski at 34 mph,28-32 off so maybe the ski is acting better,my guess,at 36 mph.
Overall,i'm a better skier on the Nomad then i was on my KD 7000...
Good luck!:)

BrianM
07-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Both great skis. What are you on now?

Order one of each and demo them both. Send the one back you don't like. Both have good demo programs

jwroblew
07-18-2007, 12:25 PM
I am on an HO Phantom Truth, I know everyone thinks the ski sucks so that is why I did not even put it in my original post, it is also to big for me, I weigh 190 ~ 200 lbs and it is 70 inches long. Accordiing to the D3 web site I am between a 67" and a 68" ski and according to the GOODE amp chart I should be on a 67.25" ski. If I demo the D3 should I go bigger, 68", or smaller 67"?

bstrom-tt
07-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Since your 36 MPH, go with the 67". If you were skiing at 34 mph, I'd say the 68" was the right size. I'm 195 lbs, similar to you, right on the weight bubble.. Nomad RC is a fantastic ski.

BrianM
07-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I am on an HO Phantom Truth, I know everyone thinks the ski sucks so that is why I did not even put it in my original post, it is also to big for me, I weigh 190 ~ 200 lbs and it is 70 inches long. Accordiing to the D3 web site I am between a 67" and a 68" ski and according to the GOODE amp chart I should be on a 67.25" ski. If I demo the D3 should I go bigger, 68", or smaller 67"?
I was just asking to see what 'style' ski you were on. The HOs generally ride a little on the tail. D3 not so much. Goode I think is relatively neutral. Going to either ski is going to be a big change from that HO. If it were me I would go with the D3. I liked my old KD7000 and D3s are known for being very predictable and semetrical. Also they have inserts. I won't buy or try a Goode for that one reason. You have to drill holes and then constantly deal with loose screws or use Velcro and Powershells. I don't want to do either so I will stay away. Many people swear by them though.

Oh and skiing 36 mph I would go with the 67" D3.

jwroblew
07-19-2007, 11:07 AM
So, last night I was skiing and I have it a slump so I decided to slow the boat down and work on some things. I got deep around three ball and was not expecting the pull from the boat, the handle snaps out of my hand and puts a dime size gouge out of the tip of my old HO ski. Reparable but it gives me a reason to by a new ski. The week of nationals D3 is offering a 15% discount, I am going to try and call them and see if the maybe able to help me out a little bit earlier....

bdecker
07-19-2007, 11:42 AM
I made the switch from a Phantom to a D3 X5 and easily added 6 + buoys with the help of some coaching as well. I went from barely running 28 to consistently seeing 35... Just switched to an F1 this year and have just now gotten back to where I was. I think the F1 will take me further down the line, but it has taken me many sets to get used to it.

I strongly endorse the D3. Skied well on it right out of the box. Would have gone with the new Nomad except Connelly has a much better EP program (ie- they have one...) so the finances were vastly different. Lots of great skiers on the Goode too, but even more $$$'s

jwroblew
07-19-2007, 12:42 PM
I tried an F1, 67", a couple of weeks back, only tried it for three sets and it seemed like I was working my but off in the course. After each pass I was out of breath and I had trouble getting into 22 off, maybe if I tried a 68" it might be a different story. The ski did turn, but seemed slow cross course...

shepherd
07-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Both great skis. What are you on now?

Order one of each and demo them both. Send the one back you don't like. Both have good demo programs

Brian,
Where would one go to try their demo programs? To D3 and Goode directly? Their web sites? We don't have a local pro shop here.

BrianM
07-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Go to each of them directly. There is info about each of the programs on the websites.

Goode gives you 2 weeks and costs $100 if you drill the ski for your bindings.
http://www.goode.com/wskidemo.htm

D3 gives you 30 days and only charges you $40 if you decide you dont want it.
http://www.d3skis.com/about/guarantee.htm

BrianM
07-19-2007, 04:31 PM

bdecker
07-20-2007, 08:36 AM
I tried an F1, 67", a couple of weeks back, only tried it for three sets and it seemed like I was working my but off in the course. After each pass I was out of breath and I had trouble getting into 22 off, maybe if I tried a 68" it might be a different story. The ski did turn, but seemed slow cross course...

I've found it to be plenty fast, but it has taken me a long time to get truly comfortable letting the ski cast out on my offside- 2,4,6. When I trust it to due it's job, I'm amazingly early for the next buoy. Not sure why it has taken me so long to get dialed into the ski, but now that I'm there I'm confident I can run more buoys on it. I missed lots of 22's and 28's getting used to the ski and getting the settings right.

X-2
08-04-2007, 03:43 PM
jwroblew..........I have a Goode 8000 available in the marketplace on page 2. I don't know if you were considering one of these for a great price. Just so you know it's there, that's all! Not a thing is wrong with it, I just wakeboard and wakesurf more than I ski. It has been in it's bag, very well taken care of since I took up wakeboarding and surfing. Thanks for looking.

uawaterskier
08-05-2007, 07:44 PM
The week of nationals D3 is offering a 15% discount, I am going to try and call them and see if the maybe able to help me out a little bit earlier....
good luck with that. When I bought my d3 trick I tried to get them to come off the price for collegiate skiing, since we all know how much money college kids have. They wouldn't come off anything, didn't even offer to pay for shipping even though I was throwing down some serious cash. I love their ski, and am planning on getting a Nomad one day if I very get enough cash saved up:D .

BuoyChaser
08-05-2007, 08:23 PM
i've got a Goode 9736 200amp 67in for sale, helped me consistently get into 22 and 28, but i've dropped some weight from 200lbs this winter now down to 170lbs, good for me but bad for my ski...love the 67in but according to amp chart should be on a 65.5 so check it out on Ski-It-Again.com http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&postid=SIA04715

where are you in the midwest, could work out a demo for you if you're serious?!?

think twice about the 9800, lots of people say for 36 the 9700 is the way to go, even at 34 which is why Goode is releasing a different ski at Nationals...certainly short money at $500, compared to $990 new!!!

BuoyChaser
08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Any one have any thoughts about the D3 Nomad vs the Goode 9800. I am in the market for a new ski, personal best is 5 @ 28 off, 36 mph, looking to get into 32 off this year and 35 off next year?

some things to consider on the D3, the 2006 Nomad is a very STIFF ski, too stiff for a lot of people...any of the 04/05 X5 tend to be very soft and forgiving, allowing great buoys counts but also making it easier to force the turn, not necesarrily helping your buoy count in the long run...

the new 2007 Nomad RC is suppose to be a happy medium with the X5/Nomad blend...i haven't tried either, except for a 2004 & 2005 X5 67.5" which i loved and best count in a tourney with it was 5 at 36-28 but was very inconsistent in practice...

the Goode 9736, even with ankle injuries (learning the Fogman Hardshells) i've been more consistent 34-22 and 36-22 in practice...

BuoyChaser
08-05-2007, 08:43 PM
I've found it to be plenty fast, but it has taken me a long time to get truly comfortable letting the ski cast out on my offside- 2,4,6. When I trust it to due it's job, I'm amazingly early for the next buoy. Not sure why it has taken me so long to get dialed into the ski, but now that I'm there I'm confident I can run more buoys on it. I missed lots of 22's and 28's getting used to the ski and getting the settings right.
the 2007 F1 is a great ski, the rocker and flex pattern changed from 2006 making a world of difference...still some changes are in the works for 2008 which is what JB ran his world record pass with, at least a softer flex from what i've heard...but with the F1 it works best at 28 off and beyond and has a small sweet spot, so until you find that it can be a struggle...i tried a 66" and a 67" and my style had a tough time at 22' 36, but part of it was not letting the ski turn and wanting to force my turn like i could on my x5...

Cottonwood
08-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I've skied both the Nomad RC and 9800 for a couple of months this season. I found the smaller 9800 worked best (66.5" / 195lbs). The 67.25" 9800 is too big for most. The 68" Nomad felt big but the 67" felt small. Fastest D3 ever but still not as quick as the 9800 and doesn't have the carry out off the 2nd wake like the Goode.

Dave is coming out with LFF and RFF specific skis. They look the same other than a "dimple" on the front/top of the ski. I would try one if you are in the market but if on the bubble with regard to weight / length, go w/ smaller.

jwroblew
08-14-2007, 10:44 PM
It's the week of nationals so I ordered a Nomad RC, actually since I was on the bubble I ordered the 67" and the 68", hopefully it will be here next week. I also had a friend looking for a new ski and the 68" Nomad would fit him perfect, so he agreed to split half the demo fee with me.

I finally started to run the 28 offs on my Phantom Truth, but not very consistant, the stupid ski is not very forgiving if your form is not perfect, hopefully the Nomad RC will deliver some consistancy and get me into 32....

BuoyChaser, I think I talked with you before, private lake just north of Toledo Ohio, PM me if your ever in the area and need a pull.

jwroblew
08-14-2007, 10:46 PM
It's the week of nationals so I ordered a Nomad RC, actually since I was on the bubble I ordered the 67" and the 68", hopefully it will be here next week. I also had a friend looking for a new ski and the 68" Nomad would fit him perfect, so he agreed to split half the demo fee with me.

I finally started to run the 28 offs on my Phantom Truth, but not very consistant, the stupid ski is not very forgiving if your form is not perfect, hopefully the Nomad RC will deliver some consistancy and get me into 32....

BuoyChaser, I think I talked with you before, private lake just north of Toledo Ohio, PM me if your ever in the area and need a pull.

betsy&david Harrison
08-17-2007, 10:05 AM
The D3 Booth at Nationals has been packed! Not much action at the Goode Booth.

jwroblew
08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
So my skies arrives tomarrow I can't wait to try them, stupid FedX won't hold them at them for me, I wanted to pick them up from the local FedX distribution center so I would have them first thing, now I have to wait untill the drop them off which wont be untill around 3 :(

Take a look at the web site I started for my ski lake and let me know what you think.

www.lakeswerve.com

BuoyChaser
08-24-2007, 02:45 PM
let me know how you like the Nomad RC, great looking website - keep up the great work!!!

jwroblew
08-27-2007, 02:25 PM
So I got the skis early Sat. my buddy and I went out to ski, he went first. 10 minutes latter we were on our way to the ER so he could get 5 stitches in the back of his head, needless to say I had to wait untill Sunday to try the ski. I decided to try the 68" Nomad first, the ski is phenomenal, it turns great and is crazy fast, it hunts a little during my glide but that is probably because I am still skiing with to much weight on the tail, a.k.a. HO style. The first day on the ski I was able to get 5 at 22' off.

ski36short
08-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Nice website, looks like you you have a great lake! PM'ed you for details.

shepherd
04-13-2008, 12:43 PM
I was able to try a demo Nomad RC yesterday. Very friendly ski! Best I've skied in a couple months. I may ditch my Monza for it.

André
04-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I was able to try a demo Nomad RC yesterday. Very friendly ski! Best I've skied in a couple months. I may ditch my Monza for it.
RC or RCX?:confused:

shepherd
04-13-2008, 01:06 PM
RC or RCX?:confused:

RC. It's probably last year's model, demo. Looks pretty used...

D3skier
04-13-2008, 01:59 PM
I've got Seth Stishers '06 Nomad and debating if I want to upgrade to the RCX...

shepherd
04-13-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm heading out to try to Nomad again. What was changed in the RCX?

jwroblew
04-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Don't know anything about the RCX, but I love my RC...

André
04-14-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm heading out to try to Nomad again. What was changed in the RCX?
http://d3skis.com/products/2007Slalom/NOMAD_RCX.htm

shepherd
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm really liking this Nomad. It's got the speed of my Monza without the unpredictability in the turns (though I read the new Monza smoothed out that problem...)

Jesus_Freak
04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
....I may ditch my Monza for it.

Say it isnt so! You would never ditch that Monza, would you?:D

sk8salomon
04-14-2008, 03:17 PM
never been on a 9800 but i just bought a D3 Nomad RC this spring. so far the ski has been amazing. i finally put to rest my '03 HO Phantom so this has been a decent change. i'm a 36mph skier and last year my personal best was 4-1/2@32 off. i've skied 4 sets on my new D3 and i'm already running deep 28's. what i like best is that the ski feels so stable even when i get into trouble it never does anything crazy. it just stays in control. i'd say for the price & your line length, stick with the D3.

shepherd
04-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Say it isnt so! You would never ditch that Monza, would you?:D

Well,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes: It's kind of a love-hate relationship. The sex is great when it's "on", but I can't live with her... :rolleyes:

sk8salomon
04-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Well,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes: It's kind of a love-hate relationship. The sex is great when it's "on", but I can't live with her... :rolleyes:

so typical for a HO!!!

Ski Bum
04-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I have an 07 monza I'll sell ran 3 sets on it $400. An 07 F1 good shape $250. Both are blank

shepherd
04-19-2008, 07:10 AM
I have an 07 monza I'll sell ran 3 sets on it $400. An 07 F1 good shape $250. Both are blank

There are about a dozen Monzas for sale on ski-it-again right now. Good luck.