PDA

View Full Version : 2002 X-7 Steering Cable Replacement??

mdthacker
07-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Ok, I knew the steering was heavy on our X-7, but it seems to be getting harder and harder to turn. So it's my belief that the steering cable is likely failing. I believe the steering cable on this unit is one of the sealed lubrication type. First of all, can someone help me verify this?

Secondly, if I need to replace this, does anyone have any experience with this that they can share? Anyone have access to the factory service manual which might describe the procedure? A copy of that would be awesome!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Erkoehler did one. He may be able to tell you step by step.

Oh and yes, it sounds exactly like the cable is shot. Replace it, inject the necessary about of lube into the new one as often as possible.

mdthacker
07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
If anyone has access to a factory service manual for this boat or first hand experience, please offer some help. it looks like the front of the boat might not be too difficult. I removed the panel underneath the dash area. The cable leaves the steering wheel assembly, goes forward toward the front of the boat, then through the panel area I just removed. It then circles down into the lower part of the boat heading toward the engine. Not too difficult overall in the front portion of the boat.

BUT, at the rear of the boat, do I need to remove the gas tank to get proper access to the connections?? Any help would truly be appreciated.