PDA

View Full Version : 88 PS190 Removing front center floor panel for carpet installation?

djpruitt
07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Does anyone have any good tips or advice on removing the front center floor panel on a 1988 PS190 so new carpet can be installed? There are only a few screws holding the panel to the floor and I know you have to remove the ski pylon but what I am concerned about is the fact the passenger seat base/frame sits over this panel and cannot be removed without taking the entire top deck off. The floor panel is U shaped toward the bow to go around the battery and front air intakes so you cannot slide it out to the left or right even if there is enough flex in the passenger seat frame. You cannot slide the panel to the rear because of the engine. Sooooooo...... should you just leave it in place and cut the carpet along the seams which might cause it to roll up over time, carpet over the seams, or what? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
Check out this thread and talk to the people who have actually accomplished the task, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14857

There are several other threads covering this, do a advanced search, using "floor panel" as the key words.

djpruitt
07-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I have searched and didn't find any threads relevant to my specific problem. The one above started out looking good but didn't go far enough. It appears the battery box and the housing where the air intake hoses and steering cable pass through are all part of this panel. So it appears you would have to remove all the hoses, steering cable, battery cables, etc. to remove this panel. Has anyone done this?
I have an image file but do no know how to insert it. It keeps asking for the URL of the image.

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 02:14 PM
I have searched and didn't find any threads relevant to my specific problem. The one above started out looking good but didn't go far enough. It appears the battery box and the housing where the air intake hoses and steering cable pass through are all part of this panel. So it appears you would have to remove all the hoses, steering cable, battery cables, etc. to remove this panel. Has anyone done this?
I have an image file but do no know how to insert it. It keeps asking for the URL of the image.
Somewhere there is a post about cutting the floor panel right behind the battery and taking it out in 2 pieces. The rear piece will have to come out from under the observer base, by jacking up the dash off to the side and forward of the panel and sliding it out when the observer base rises with the dash.
Ask Shepherd how he did his when he recarpeted his '90.
I think most people just carpet over that panel and don't worry about it, because it's such a PITA!

djpruitt
07-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Update to last post.... I did find a panel on the back which when removed reveals a slot to allow the cables to remain connected. I did have to disconnect the battery cables from the engine and remove them to avoid having to cut off the built in terminal connectors which were too big to pass through the holes in the battery compartment. As soon as I get a reply from the webmaster on how to insert images I will post some pics.

TMCNo1
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Update to last post.... I did find a panel on the back which when removed reveals a slot to allow the cables to remain connected. I did have to disconnect the battery cables from the engine and remove them to avoid having to cut off the built in terminal connectors which were too big to pass through the holes in the battery compartment. As soon as I get a reply from the webmaster on how to insert images I will post some pics.

Posting pictures, see this thread, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17477 and the FAQ section under General Discussion, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427

djpruitt
07-18-2007, 10:19 PM
I finally managed to get the front floor panel removed by sliding it back and to the drivers side enough for the left edge to drop down and then rotate counterclockwise a little and was able to pull it out on the driver's side with a ton of maneuvering. Now the trick will be to see if I can get it put back in place after the new carpet is installed.

Monte
07-18-2007, 10:27 PM
I finally managed to get the front floor panel removed by sliding it back and to the drivers side enough for the left edge to drop down and then rotate counterclockwise a little and was able to pull it out on the driver's side with a ton of maneuvering. Now the trick will be to see if I can get it put back in place after the new carpet is installed.

Man.... I've been there.... Now the fun begins:) :cool: Look forward to seeing the end result:)

hole shooter
07-18-2007, 11:57 PM
thanks for posting this thread / pic / procedure. i have to do this soon too - just inherited a 1989 prostar that hasn't been wet for 18 months. im sure ill have my share of visits to this site for reference. THERE IS GRASS GROWIN OUT OF THE CARPET!!! oi vey! from what ive read so far you guys are a really good knowledgeable network, passionate about these here mastercrafts. humbled and relieved to be here. =)

btw how many of the 1989 prostar 190's have you guys seen with the black on white with yellow trimlines...i only see the blue and maroon ones around in the pics , at least that vintage. just curious are they a common color too?

kbulava85
08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
btw how many of the 1989 prostar 190's have you guys seen with the black on white with yellow trimlines...i only see the blue and maroon ones around in the pics , at least that vintage. just curious are they a common color too?

I know of two, in Fox Lake/Antioch, IL area. I own one and the other is sitting on a trailer in front of Steitz's marina on Grass Lake Road. Mine docks at Inland Harbor Marina on Fox Lake off Grass Lake Road.

Mine was actually abandoned and has been sitting for about 5 years at Inland, where I work. So we got the junk title and I purchased it for $300 as is. Had no idea if the engine had been winterized or anything but I figured hell $300 I could just part out the good pieces and it was worth it. I changed the points, condenser, rotor, distributor cap, plugs, wires, did an oil change, drained all the gas put fresh gas in, changed the impeller, got a new battery and it fired up. Runs ooookay, but I only spent about $300 on parts so far. Everytime you get on it real fast it wants to die out, friend said that was the accelerator pump. So I just bought a carburetor rebuild kit, fuel filter, pcv valve. Gonna do all that this friday and a transmission flush and that should be it until the seasons over in October.

Mice got in and ate the passenger side panel up a bit, so I just removed the panel. Other than that the interior is tolerable until the winter when I'll have lots of time to restore everything. It's definetly going to be a big project boat this year. As I said I work at the marina so parts are at cost, and I paid next to nothing for the boat so I have some extra money to soak into it. Might as well take advantage of the resources I have. I would actually like to do some serious work to it in storage:
Pull the engine, completely overhaul and detail it.
Gut all the interior, do some fiberglassing to entail a $1500 stereo and upholstery work and make the little bastard an open bow.
Change the colors to a deep silver with a lighter silver to contrast it.

Maybe a lot of this is wishful thinking but I figure I'll have the time, resources and knowhow by then...prrobably just not the money haha. But it would be nice. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Here's mine.
http://a855.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/125/l_1cd782ca00c2d0c309ea8d88a2eeb706.jpg

Kevin 89MC
08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
thanks for posting this thread / pic / procedure. i have to do this soon too - just inherited a 1989 prostar that hasn't been wet for 18 months. im sure ill have my share of visits to this site for reference. THERE IS GRASS GROWIN OUT OF THE CARPET!!! oi vey! from what ive read so far you guys are a really good knowledgeable network, passionate about these here mastercrafts. humbled and relieved to be here. =)

I've never seen any '89's with yellow striping, but remember seeing in a brochure that the available colors that year included black with yellow striping and gray with yellow striping. My '89 is gray, but no yellow striping. Interior is gray & black. Overall kinda drab. I may incorporate some red accents when I get around to working on it.
Sounds like you got a good deal, these boats are awesome!
Good luck,
Kevin

kbulava85, nice looking boat!! Let's see some more pictures!

O2BESOHUGE
08-15-2007, 11:31 AM
I Have An '89 Thats Black And White With Yellow And Gray Striping

O2

SappDad
09-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I also have an '89 black on white that looks like the pictures, and I also am going to have to replace the floor section. I'll be looking to see how this turns out.

How do you propose to turn the 190 into an open bow? My family really wanted an open bow, just couldn't afford it right now. That sounds very cool!

zepdog
10-12-2007, 08:38 AM
I have a 1987 prostar and i just started pulling the carpet out last night and got as far as the front floor panel your picture on how to get the front floor panel out sure will help out! A couple questions; my carpet seem to comming off pretty easy i am going to try and get it off in one piece and use it as a templet ,were you able to do this and did you have to seam the new carpet down the center under the bow?
second, from some of the posts i read everyone seems to be concerned about getting the floor really clean before laying the new carpet, some of the carpet sites say don't be so concerned about getting it so clean any thought on this?
Zepdog

89GrayStar
09-22-2009, 04:16 PM
So, how did the carpet come out? I have a gray and black 89 with yellow pin stripes. I'm looking to replace carpet, and am trying to find out how much it will take.