PDA

View Full Version : Mildew!!!

wsrobert
07-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I have a Maristar 240SC with the cabin. I just noticed the other day that my hatch was leaking letting water get down in the cabin. Several blankets and pillows were wet (who knows how long). Anyway, the upholstery has mildewed some. I wiped it all down with a wet rag and got most off, but is there a cleaner that would work better. I don't want to make the mistake of using tilex or 409 or something destructive like that. Any ideas???

Thanks

vogelm1
07-17-2007, 10:16 PM
"Vinyl Finish Cleaner" works pretty well on most stains. It comes in a black and brown bottle and many marine stores carry it. You don't have to worry about damaging the vinyl - MasterCraft recommends this as a cleaner. Fantastik and dish soap are also acceptable. Someone else may have tried something more powerful with good results too. There are also some concoctions you can mix up using hydrogen peroxide...if you go to MasterCraft.com, click on "Knowledge Center" and look for the 2006 or 2007 owners manuals, the recipes are stated in there. I'm confident you'll get the rest out. Then wipe down you seats good with 303! :)

wsrobert
07-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks...I'll give it a shot!

bigmac
07-20-2007, 10:38 PM
"Vinyl Finish Cleaner" works pretty well on most stains. It comes in a black and brown bottle and many marine stores carry it. You don't have to worry about damaging the vinyl - MasterCraft recommends this as a cleaner. Fantastik and dish soap are also acceptable. Someone else may have tried something more powerful with good results too. There are also some concoctions you can mix up using hydrogen peroxide...if you go to MasterCraft.com, click on "Knowledge Center" and look for the 2006 or 2007 owners manuals, the recipes are stated in there. I'm confident you'll get the rest out. Then wipe down you seats good with 303! :)Actually, G&T (makers of the vinyl that MasterCraft and most other upscales boats use) has taken Fantastik off of its approved list - it apparently damages the protective outer finish and leads to brittleness and cracking. Dish soap is OK. Vinyl Finish Cleaner is what they recommend (they also make the stuff). I use VFC and it is indeed good stuff, better than 303 cleaner IMHO.

Matt L.
07-27-2007, 08:40 PM
For very persistent stains I use a mixture of 50:50 H2O2 (household hydrogen peroxide and Tilex Shower Spray (the clear daily stuff).

The H2O2 is an oxidizer that is at a very low concentration abd is much gentler than bleach. The Tilex shower strap has surfactants and a chelating agent (EDTA). The EDTA attacks any metal components of the stain without the harsh action of a acid.

To make it work you have to keep the surface/material wet and in contact with the solution for several days. I use a damp towel on flat surfaces.

It is slow but gentle and I've had good luck on mildew stains.

Later,

Matt.

Mike
08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I would stick with soaps not detergents and completely avoid the temptation to use any kind of kitchen or bathroom mildew remover.
I used some after a damp winter and the next year my seats cracked!

The seats would have looked better stained.