PDA

View Full Version : X80 Wake Boarding

cfortner
07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
I am getting ready to purchase a boat and am wondering is the X80 is a good choice for wake boarding? I have found comfliting information online in regards to this question and thought I would ask in forum that would probably be able to give me the best input.

Thanks to everyone and anyone who gives honest and valuable insight!

Chris

Sodar
07-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Found this: http://www.wakeworld.com/boats/GetBoatReviews.asp?ProductID=200118

I have never done anything more than drive one of these and I loved it!! The ability to use the twin motors is sooooo much fun and anyone who says it has bad handling just has no idea how to drive a twin motor boat! If you need a big boat, that can carry an army, this boat is it! If I had $150k laying around I would get one in a heartbeat.

SkiDog
07-17-2007, 07:52 PM
If I were you, and I could afford it, I'd buy the X-45 before the X-80. There seems to be more usable room in the 45.

SDAhockey21
07-17-2007, 07:52 PM
IMO To Big to be Practical for wakeboarding. Plus a big gas Hog!! But you can't go wrong with any Mastercraft.

I personally would shot for the x45

SDAhockey21
07-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Dam I type slow

Roonie's
07-17-2007, 08:00 PM
my vote x-45 as well. Those 80's are huge!!! fuel capacity 100 gallons and at 6200 lbs with double 310's for power. All I can say is hello gas bill. If you ever have to tow the beast you need some serious pulling power as a regular truck will not suffice.

sanjuan23
07-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Maybe the cheap skate in me is coming through but if I were able to throw down that kind of money on a boat I think the gas bill would be the least of my problems just my 2.

Roonie's
07-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Maybe the cheap skate in me is coming through but if I were able to throw down that kind of money on a boat I think the gas bill would be the least of my problems just my 2.

LOL good point.

cfortner
07-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all the input. Thanks to many hard years of work the $150k and the gas are not my worries. What I am really looking at is the fact that my girlfriend (28) and daughter (9) have been wake boarding for a year and want to try and enter the amatuer competitions next year. Will this be to much of a boat for them or will the wake this boat puts out be too much.

Thanks for all your responses.

Chris

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-17-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure of the wake shape, but one things that is probably guaranteed is that the wake will be WIDE! They'll probably have to bring major stoke into the wake to get across it and I'm sure it'll be much different than anything they'd ride in a competition.

Are you wanting a big boat, are you wanting a wakeboard boat, or are you wanting a big wakeboard boat?

sanjuan23
07-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Although the X-80 is the crown jewel "yacht" for MasterCraft's line I think that it would be indeed a bit much. The X-45 might be a better fit, although if you are looking for a more "wake" centered boat the X-Star would fit the bill. Not quite as large as the X-45 but again it is the boat riders choose most.

Roonie's
07-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the input. Thanks to many hard years of work the $150k and the gas are not my worries. What I am really looking at is the fact that my girlfriend (28) and daughter (9) have been wake boarding for a year and want to try and enter the amatuer competitions next year. Will this be to much of a boat for them or will the wake this boat puts out be too much.

Thanks for all your responses.

Chris

If they actually want to compete. The 80 will be completely different in wake then anything they will ride behind in competitions. I would recommend a wakeboard specific boat like xstar. If you just want to have fun then the 80 will do that for the family.

cfortner
07-17-2007, 09:32 PM
All great feedback. I really appreciate the honesty and everyone taking the time to respond.

Sounds like the two options I hear are the X-45 and the X-Star. If there are any X-80 owners out there I would love to hear some feedback if you have any.

03 35th Anniversary
07-17-2007, 09:45 PM
All great feedback. I really appreciate the honesty and everyone taking the time to respond.

Sounds like the two options I hear are the X-45 and the X-Star. If there are any X-80 owners out there I would love to hear some feedback if you have any.
The best option I can come up with for somebody in your sitution. Is to find the dealership nearest you that has one of these on the lot and let them demo it for you, your girlfriend and daughter. Drive it and ride behind it. Demo the X-star and X-45 while your at it, then make a choice.

Chief
07-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Is there anyone on the board that own's an X80?

milkmania
07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Is there anyone on the board that own's an X80?
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=2233

met him, and the boat....

standing on the platform while the boat was trailered....
I could look across the top of my travel trailer

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-17-2007, 10:45 PM
The best option I can come up with for somebody in your sitution. Is to find the dealership nearest you that has one of these on the lot and let them demo it for you, your girlfriend and daughter. Drive it and ride behind it. Demo the X-star and X-45 while your at it, then make a choice.

I second this. Where are you located cfortner?

I'd suggest you list your priorities in order of importance. You can do that in this thread and it might help us understand better what you are truly looking for.

So far we have:
1) a wife and daughter that might want to compete
2) someone(s) thinking about a 28' boat

What else and in what priority?

EDIT: Below is a pic I found of the wake. No perspective to tell how big or wide it is. I'm sure it's big and I'm sure it's wide.

Regards,
Paul

Chicago190
07-17-2007, 10:47 PM
This video has a few shots of the wake behind an X80 so you get an idea of how wide it is.

http://mfile.akamai.com/6581/wmv/wpvideo.download.akamai.com/6581/worldpub_boats2005_mastercraft_x80_242.asx

If that doesn't work try this:http://www.waterskimag.com/video.jsp?streamingLink=worldpub_boats2005_masterc raft_x80

dmayer84
07-17-2007, 10:48 PM
I would think the wake wouldnt be all that great for boarding because of 2 props. Thats my :twocents:

agua4fun
07-17-2007, 10:53 PM
I have ridden behind one. I am just a novice wake boarder, and am happy to complete wake to wake 180's, so i'm not too much help. but the X80 wake was HUGE, and seemed to crest over at 20mph which made it tough for me to hit the wake right. I couldnt clear the wake at 75'. But i am no pro, so test drive/ride each before deciding.

goplay
07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
I have an X80 ( equipped with Crusader 375HP motors no less!) and I think it is a good sport boat but I don't think it is a good wake board boat. It is hard not to create a wake that is too big, too steep or even breaks at the top at the right speed. No nice ramps.

I am happy with my X80 but not ecstatic.

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
This may or may not be true. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in, but someone told me that when boats get too big i.e. the X80 the wake isn't as firm. Thats why in competitions they usually use 23'ers.

nuckinfutz
07-17-2007, 11:05 PM
If your shooting for a wakeboard competition like boat, then defiantly look at the X-Star. The X-45 will give you a great wake, but your girls will have to adjust to a different wake when competition time comes around. Most competition minded individuals choose the X-Star for training even if they are sponsored by other boat manufactures. Pretty Bold statement to have a major manufacture loan them (or give??) a boat and they still try all of there new tricks and training behind a MC X-Star!

But most important.. You should look at a 2004 X-Star... One with the black hull, and white deck.... LQ9... Oh wait thats mine! :) Im sure your local dealer will try to get you in the right boat for you. Too bad you were not closer to San Diego area, I would give you the full demo of a X-Star.

cfortner
07-17-2007, 11:06 PM
All great input and thanks so much... I was asked to list the important benefits I wanted out of a boat and here they are:

1. Girlfriend (28) and Daughter (9) wake boarding
2. Kids tubing
3. Dependable!!!

cfortner
07-17-2007, 11:08 PM
If your shooting for a wakeboard competition like boat, then defiantly look at the X-Star. The X-45 will give you a great wake, but your girls will have to adjust to a different wake when competition time comes around. Most competition minded individuals choose the X-Star for training even if they are sponsored by other boat manufactures. Pretty Bold statement to have a major manufacture loan them (or give??) a boat and they still try all of there new tricks and training behind a MC X-Star!

But most important.. You should look at a 2004 X-Star... One with the black hull, and white deck.... LQ9... Oh wait thats mine! :) Im sure your local dealer will try to get you in the right boat for you. Too bad you were not closer to San Diego area, I would give you the full demo of a X-Star.

I would have loved the oppurtunity to have some fun!

03 35th Anniversary
07-17-2007, 11:10 PM

Do you sell cars?????????8p 8p 8p

P-hat_in_Cincy
07-17-2007, 11:12 PM
1) If that's the case, the flagship wakeboard boat of MC is the X-Star. It's guaranteed to pull top level competitions (sponsor dependant) as well as grass root competitions (dependant on sponsoring dealer).
2) I guess if it'll pull a wakeboarder, it'll pull a toob. I'm not sure of handling characteristics, but should be OK unweighted?
3) Aren't all MC's!?!?

dmayer84
07-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Im pretty sure it will pull a tube

cfortner
07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Now thats funny!!!!!!

nuckinfutz
07-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Do you sell cars?????????8p 8p 8p

No but I do see your point. All the sudden I want to slam my own head in a car door!

disclaimer..
This post is in no way, shape or form of demeanor to car salesman. Please do not feel a threat from myself or my statement of how I would like to deal with purchasing a car.

disclaimer to disclaimer..
the last disclaimer is no way, shape or form to cars sales persons. I would like to recognize there are female car sales people in which are successful.

disclaimer to...... Ahh forget it I didn't call you a witch in the last statement!

badams
07-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Who in their right mind would ever pull a tube behind a such an amazing piece of machinery like a Mastercraft?

nuckinfutz
07-17-2007, 11:30 PM
It pulls toobs just fine! In fact, you will jump at the moment that one of your buddies makes the statement "You cant get me off the tube".
No need to go into great detail, But... 30 mph straight and whipping hard adding more throttle did get him off in less than 20 seconds!

badams
07-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Just messing with you. Ummm, could this be your girlfriend and her daughter behind my X45? I think it just might be.

badams
07-18-2007, 12:03 AM
Maybe we can get both of them behind the X2 on a tube Wednesday night after work? Let me know and I'll take off early.:steering:

rick s.
07-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I have no experience with the x80 so I won't give an opinion here. I have an x45 and the wake intimidates beginning wakeboarders. I've not ridden behind an xstar, but as it is a little smaller than the x45 the wake may be a little more forgiving for beginners.

Vegas X-Star
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM
The X-80 is not the choice if your people are looking to get into contests. The wake is fairly wide and hard to control the shape.

The X-Star has the best wake in the game and the boat has a decent amount of room in it.

The X-45 is a great all-around boat with a great wake too. In a year or two I am trading my X-Star in for a X-45.

Naste Craft
07-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Just demo the x-80 and x-45 and get the one you like the most.

TahoeX80
08-06-2007, 04:24 PM
For what it's worth, if your main objective is for wakeboarding and in particular, competitive wakeboarding, then I would shy away from the X-80 and focus more on either the X-Star (best wake) or the X-45 larger and good wake. Personally, I own an X-80 and love it; however, without the option of a Perfect Pass and with a LARGE wake - one that is larger than you will likely ride in competition, then I do not believe the X-80 is the best choice for your purpose - IMO.

Best of Luck!

tommcat
08-06-2007, 04:35 PM
It pulls toobs just fine! In fact, you will jump at the moment that one of your buddies makes the statement "You cant get me off the tube".

i second that.

another nice move which gets the job done even quicker is nailing the throttle from about 5mhp and cutting the wheel hard. gets 'em off in about 10 seconds

Diesel
08-07-2007, 10:32 AM
without the option of a Perfect Pass and with a LARGE wake - one that is larger than you will likely ride in competition, then I do not believe the X-80 is the best choice for your purpose - IMO.

Best of Luck!

Who told you that? We have an 05 X80 STS with Perfect Pass and it works awesome.