PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Emblems Safe?

mdthacker
07-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I am in the process of restoring the gelcoat on my entire boat. In regards to the emblem areas, is it safe to hit them with the polishing compound if I go quickly not allowing heat to build up. Or should I avoid them completely??

I am going to avoid them when I am using the fast cut and color restorer compounds. I just was not sure about the polishing compound.

mdthacker
07-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Humm... Looks like folks are afraid to touch this subject. Think I might just wax the emblems and avoid them with the polish.

shepherd
07-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Are you talking about the decals on the side and transom of the boat? If so, you should be OK - I polished over the decals on my '90 Prostar and it didn't affect them. But my new boat has the raised 3-D decals - I wouldn't polish over them.

TMCNo1
07-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Are they the flat vinyl or the drip molded type. I wouldn't take compound to either. One slip or one second too long and you may be replacing them.

mdthacker
07-17-2007, 05:05 PM
I am mainly referring to the large flat vinyl emblems on the middle of the sides.

Ric
07-17-2007, 05:07 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/images/icons/icon5.gif Polishing Emblems Safe? Is that what they are calling it now?:confused: ..... Let's just say it's alot safer than some of these gals runnin round these days !

TMCNo1
07-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Is that what they are calling it now?:confused: .....

Ya talkin' 'bout something like this,

mdthacker
07-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Gotta Luv It... :)

TMCNo1
07-17-2007, 06:28 PM
I am mainly referring to the large flat vinyl emblems on the middle of the sides.

You can always tape out the edges and get as close as possible w/o burning the emblems.

mdthacker
07-17-2007, 07:37 PM
That's a great idea because I do want to get as close as possible.

In general, I am VERY pleased at the ease of restoring the color to the gelcoat surfaces. My boat trailer fenders looked horrible! I spent roughly 2 hours on each and they look great. I was getting some experience on those before I touch the boat.