PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum parts

conway400
07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Any suggestions (or warnings and cautions) about the best or worst way to clean aluminum parts on the boat (like the tower)?

Currently using the Babe's products for hull and vinyl...

Ric
07-17-2007, 12:50 PM
it's anodized, so it should be a fairly tough finish, but I would think polishing would be futile if not abrasive on the anodize.

soap and water may be the ticket

Eagle Lake Rebel
07-17-2007, 11:05 PM
I use WD40 on my tower. Keeps the shine with zero effort, bugs don't stick to it as bad, and it seems to repel/remove water spots.

dpolen
07-17-2007, 11:11 PM
I use WD40 on my tower. Keeps the shine with zero effort, bugs don't stick to it as bad, and it seems to repel/remove water spots.

Is it really safe to actually use WD40 on the tower? I ask this question just because I would have never thought to use something like this to keep things clean. I have yet to clean my tower...I know it needs it, so if this is the way to go, I'm going straight to Home Depot.

Eagle Lake Rebel
07-17-2007, 11:31 PM
I've used it on my last X30 and my new X30. No problems. Spray some on a cloth and wipe. If you want, wipe with a dry towel when done to remove excess. Works good on stainless too. WD40 has been around forever and I keep finding new uses for it all the time. Try it on a spot and let me know what you think.

dpolen
07-19-2007, 07:47 AM
I've used it on my last X30 and my new X30. No problems. Spray some on a cloth and wipe. If you want, wipe with a dry towel when done to remove excess. Works good on stainless too. WD40 has been around forever and I keep finding new uses for it all the time. Try it on a spot and let me know what you think.

I'll give it a shot on vacation this weekend/next week. Thanks for the tip.

Farmer Ted
07-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Try some 303, leaves a nice finish and makes bug cleam up easier after traveling

fintek9
07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
on mine I use "MOTHERS" chrome and alloy polish, #oooo steel wool,
shines like you would not believe!!!! does'nt harm a thing...

shepherd
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM

And it smells good too!

TX.X-30 fan
07-19-2007, 02:02 PM
on mine I use "MOTHERS" chrome and alloy polish, #oooo steel wool,
shines like you would not believe!!!! does'nt harm a thing...

She doesn't mind you using her stuff. :confused: :confused:

Maristar210
07-19-2007, 02:07 PM

:cool:

I must admit I've never polished my tower

polished off beers would be a yes....

Sodar
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I polished the tower last night... (I have been detailing it for my big trip next weekend and I want it to look GOOD!)

I used Cleaner Wax on it. It took all the bugs and grime from towing the boat right off and left a really nice coat of wax on it. You should have seen the rag when I was done, it was black!

I even polished by pole.... my ski pole that is!! :D

conway400
07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I had heard from the dealer that it came with a clear coat on it. Didn't know if that was accurate or I misunderstood. Just didn't want to hurt anything. I know aluminum is pretty tough - I don't think it will really corode, but thought it could tarnish.

fintek9
07-19-2007, 03:20 PM
why not at all!!8p
every year I polish the tower..and every time I go to one friends
lake, he's got a BU and I can't give us MCs a bad rap!! so I go with the shine in full bloom.....every time I shine it with the #0000/mothers it
gets cleaner and cleaner, shinier and shinier, real nice!