PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot boom tow rope

CHUCKER
07-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Hello,
I have a barefoot boom and I would like to attach a tow rope to it, I was wondering how long it should be? can you buy tow ropes specifically for barefoot booms? or do you just make your own from a regular length tow rope? I would like to start teaching some young kids how to ski off the boom, thanks in advance for your responses.

Chucker:)

captain planet
07-17-2007, 10:37 AM
I just take off the 5-foot section with the handle of my slalom rope or my wakeboard rope and use that. Anything longer will put the rider in the spray of the boat.

06197ttlq9-footer
07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
You want what is know as a barefoot Handle, not tow rope. Tow rope implies that it is more than 5 feet which is two long. a good source for barefoot handles to compliment your barefoot boom is Barefoot central. or Kieth St Onge, or Overtons. Also if you have a sectioned rope for slalom you can use the 5' section with the handle on it for learning. To add stability you can also wrap that handle around the boom untill it is much shorter but still gives the instability of the rope feel with out the risk of skiing into the sid orf the boat.

Flatwaterfooter
07-17-2007, 10:41 AM
If you are teaching kids I have found that it is easier to teach them directly off of the boom without the rope. That way they have something solid to pull the skis around with. I tried to teach my son with a rope on the boom that was only about 6", but did not work. Put him on the boom and did it in one shot. Good luck

chudson
07-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Here's what you need ..........

it's just the 5' handle section from a ski rope. You can order it or take it off your ski rope (good luck if it's been on there long).
Or a barefoot handle works good too as 06197ttlq9-footer suggested above

H20ski Dude
07-17-2007, 12:07 PM
that's a pretty nice slalom handle... it also probably doesn't float...

I would suggest as others have mentioned.. buying a barefoot handle.

they are wider and generally come with floats. if you are going to buy 1, get a "front toe handle". google, ebay, overtons, barts, barefootcentral, etc

you want something wider that floats..

you can also use a wakeboard handle as they are generally the same basic design as barefoot handles, but with bars or grab handles for wrap tricks.

also, if teaching try the first run on the boom directly, then use a handle and wrap the rope part around the boom, eventually letting it out and then they go behind the boat. it is amazing the artificial support you get from the boom and many who go from boom to long line have trouble because they are so used to the fixed bar.

chudson
07-17-2007, 12:29 PM
that's a pretty nice slalom handle... it also probably doesn't float....

Never experienced a 5' section on the boom sinking to the bottom of the lake yet!!! :rolleyes: :D

H20ski Dude
07-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Never experienced a 5' section on the boom sinking to the bottom of the lake yet!!! :rolleyes: :D
if the kid aint 5 feet then neither should the the boom!

anything to make it easier for little ones to learn has always been my motto.

I have taught kids as young as 5 to ski. at 3' nothing they can use all the help they can get and the boom should not be at the same spot as a full grown adult.

chudson
07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
if the kid aint 5 feet then neither should the the boom!

anything to make it easier for little ones to learn has always been my motto.

I have taught kids as young as 5 to ski. at 3' nothing they can use all the help they can get and the boom should not be at the same spot as a full grown adult.

OK !!! :confused: