PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system not holding prime

hz900
07-17-2007, 12:19 AM
'92 Prostar 205 w/ holley 4010

Ever since I bought this boat it has done this, but is getting worse here lately. If I leave it sitting for more than a few days, it takes forever to start, like the fuel system has lost its prime. After it fires off the first time though it will run fine the rest of the day. Not really that big of a deal, just a pain to crank on it for several minutes before going out that day.

Only thing I know is the fuel pump, but at the price tag for them, I'd like to be sure first. Any other suggestions? Oh and which pump do I have and is it different than the automotive version?

Monte
07-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Hold the shifter down for a solid four to five seconds. Do not pump. FIRE....... try it one more time if that doesn't work.. Oh let it warm up at Idle for about 20 secs... She'll go!!!!!!!!!!

etduc
07-17-2007, 09:11 AM
'92 Prostar 205 w/ holley 4010

Ever since I bought this boat it has done this, but is getting worse here lately. If I leave it sitting for more than a few days, it takes forever to start, like the fuel system has lost its prime. After it fires off the first time though it will run fine the rest of the day. Not really that big of a deal, just a pain to crank on it for several minutes before going out that day.

Only thing I know is the fuel pump, but at the price tag for them, I'd like to be sure first. Any other suggestions? Oh and which pump do I have and is it different than the automotive version?

Probably not, fuel pump. Has carb ever been, rebuilt? More the likely, it is the Carb. accelerator pump or accelerator diafram. (Parts, that are not always included, in carb. rebuild kit.)

Also, check you static ignition timing. Fords should be 5-10 degrees btdc(warm engine) advance. For easier starting and better over-all operation set it closer to 5, than 10. As long as, it runs smooth.

If your planning to replace carb, which to Holley 4160. Much better carb.