PDA

View Full Version : Boat just died on me this weekend, thinking electrical

hz900
07-17-2007, 01:12 AM
'92 Prostar 205 w/ ~400 hrs.

I was idling waiting on my wife to back the trailer down to load it and the boat just died on me (thankfully about 20 ft off the dock so I could just swim it in). I can smell fuel, and also just to make double sure squirted a hint of starter fluid into the carb and it will do nothing except turn over. I pulled one of the plugs and it is clean and light brown colored. I then pulled got my wife to crank the boat while holding a screw driver next to a plug boot and no spark jumped. Also took the plug going from the coil to the cap off and no spark when the key was turned.

I am assuming the coil went bad, does this sound right to all of you? I tested with an ohm meter and got ~1.5 across the two terminals, which is not right from what I googled.

Also is there a difference between this coil and one from a 351w ford truck motor? Advance Auto shows one in stock for the truck motor. If not anyone know the correct part number to order from the parts store?

Thanks in advance, I really need it fixed by Sunday.

pkskier
07-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Check your gauges while you are trying to crank it, if they are dead check you kill switch.

kentro
07-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah, I vote for kill switch too.

etduc
07-17-2007, 02:15 PM
'92 Prostar 205 w/ ~400 hrs.

I was idling waiting on my wife to back the trailer down to load it and the boat just died on me (thankfully about 20 ft off the dock so I could just swim it in). I can smell fuel, and also just to make double sure squirted a hint of starter fluid into the carb and it will do nothing except turn over. I pulled one of the plugs and it is clean and light brown colored. I then pulled got my wife to crank the boat while holding a screw driver next to a plug boot and no spark jumped. Also took the plug going from the coil to the cap off and no spark when the key was turned.

I am assuming the coil went bad, does this sound right to all of you? I tested with an ohm meter and got ~1.5 across the two terminals, which is not right from what I googled.

Also is there a difference between this coil and one from a 351w ford truck motor? Advance Auto shows one in stock for the truck motor. If not anyone know the correct part number to order from the parts store?

Thanks in advance, I really need it fixed by Sunday.

Are you getting voltage to the coil?

Your ohm reading is about right, depending on manufacturer. Since the engine was running... I'd look at kill switch, ignition switch, broke wire, etc.

hz900
07-17-2007, 11:57 PM
Wow... Thanks guys.

I didn't even think of the kill switch because this is the first boat I've had that had one. Although the kill switch wasn't pulled loose, I checked the wires behind it and one of them has somehow got caught up in the throttle linkage and pulled loose. Put it back on and fired right up. I'll zip tie the wires before taking it out again.

Once again thanks, I would have been tracing wires for days.

BTW anyone know if there is a mechanic's manual for these boats. Every car I've owned I've had a Helm's manual for.

JimN
07-18-2007, 12:29 AM
Why do you need a manual when you have TMC?