PDA

View Full Version : Women... what would you do?

Monte
07-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Well here's the story. My lovely wife has decided to have girls evening out on the boat. Just she and another friend are going to get some runs in. I think GREAT. That is until she tells me that her friend is bringing her kids for me to watch while they are out:confused: OK well ok. Now it gets good. I have been teaching her how to pull me. She has maybe 45 mins wheel time total (in her life). Saturday I was getting a run in with her driving... She was doing well... Until the kid's tube got loose and blew out (it was tied to the lower pylon). I just let go ( I didn't want to get injured in a tubing accident) expecting her to come get me first then worry about the tube. NOPE She stopped.. Me in the middle of the lake. Her 100 yards away pulling a tube into the boat.. Two or three other boats coming at pretty good clip.. I gave her a decent yet dignified lecture about priority #1 while pulling a skier... I also told her that I don't feel she has enough time under her belt. Well she emails her friend (friends husband is my best friend) tells her what I said and tells her it would be best if I drove them for the runs.. Friend gets p!$$ed and says forget it (I know this because Jay told me).. So I tell Leah were going out tomorrow for her to do it all. Undock, drive, pull (I get runs), dock.. Treaining for wed which will be happening I assume.. Am I out of line to think it is not enough time??

LakePirate
07-16-2007, 10:55 PM
I don't see why not.

They are going out on a weekday nite?

betsy&david Harrison
07-16-2007, 10:57 PM
No Monte, you are not. I have tons of drive time but when it comes to putting the boat in with the clips to unhook...I need to do it myself with my husband there to guide me...NICELY :D and I don't think one time is enough either and I am no dummy.

Monte
07-16-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't see why not.

They are going out on a weekday nite?

It is a weekday night, Wednsday to be exact. I just want to make darn sure she knows what she is doing... The docking part is my real fear, but I have reservations about her getting spooked with other boats around too...

Monte
07-16-2007, 11:09 PM
No Monte, you are not. I have tons of drive time but when it comes to putting the boat in with the clips to unhook...I need to do it myself with my husband there to guide me...NICELY :D and I don't think one time is enough either and I am no dummy.

She goes out with me and the kids a lot... BUT it is me that drives 99% of the time. I want her to have a good time, and embrace the sport. What should my main focus be on our training session??

betsy&david Harrison
07-16-2007, 11:10 PM
It is a weekday night, Wednsday to be exact. I just want to make darn sure she knows what she is doing... The docking part is my real fear, but I have reservations about her getting spooked with other boats around too...
If your boat is on a lift at the lake already? Then that is a piece of cake. She will be extremely careful because she would be very afraid to come home to a pissed off husband.

betsy&david Harrison
07-16-2007, 11:13 PM
She goes out with me and the kids a lot... BUT it is me that drives 99% of the time. I want her to have a good time, and embrace the sport. What should my main focus be on our training session??
If your boat has to be put in the water then work on all the trailering stuff. Then just remind her to stay on the right side of the lake, cross wakes with the bow up, pull up to the skier on HER side, make sure the rope is clear of the prop, protect her skier at all costs from other boaters, and I am sure I am missing sooo many others but these are important things to remember.

Monte
07-16-2007, 11:13 PM
If your boat is on a lift at the lake already? Then that is a piece of cake. She will be extremely careful because she would be very afraid to come home to a pissed off husband.

You have a point. I'm sure she will be careful arghhhhh the woes I feel:o

betsy&david Harrison
07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm feeling the woes right now, tomorrow morning I send my two little kids on an airplane by themselves to their Grandparent's house in Idaho.

LakePirate
07-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Cut her loose.

Monte
07-16-2007, 11:16 PM
If your boat has to be put in the water then work on all the trailering stuff. Then just remind her to stay on the right side of the lake, cross wakes with the bow up, pull up to the skier on HER side, make sure the rope is clear of the prop, protect her skier at all costs from other boaters, and I am sure I am missing sooo many others but these are important things to remember.

It is in the water (unless we are on vacation or I know we won't use it during a particular week) so it is mainly docking (backwards):)

betsy&david Harrison
07-16-2007, 11:17 PM
explain docking backwards??

Tomsinamerica
07-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I know I'm going to get lambasted by all you MC devotees out there but at the end of the day, are you worried about her safety or about the boat?

If it's the boat then it is after all, just a boat (albeit a very pretty one) and whatever damage she does can be repaired. If she's brining it into a boat lift then worst case scenario she pulls it along side and then pulls herself in by hand or paddles? Slow & laborious but safe for everyone!

If its her safety then that's a whole different story...

bcampbe7
07-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Personally, if my wife wanted to do something like this I would be more afraid of her hurting herself than the boat. The boat can be replaced.

My wife can launch, dock and load the boat great, but she would not go out without me just because she is not comfortable being out on the water without me.

bcampbe7
07-16-2007, 11:25 PM
I know I'm going to get lambasted by all you MC devotees out there but at the end of the day, are you worried about her safety or about the boat?

If it's the boat then it is after all, just a boat (albeit a very pretty one) and whatever damage she does can be repaired. If she's brining it into a boat lift then worst case scenario she pulls it along side and then pulls herself in by hand or paddles? Slow & laborious but safe for everyone!

You quick with trigga finga grasshopper... (We posted pretty close to the same thing) :D

jrhollow
07-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Your profile says insurance. I would think about increasing the policy and decreasing your deductible...

I wouldn't worry about her taking the boat out and hitting the dock (etc.), it can be fixed or replaced. What would worry me is her judgment to go and pick up a tube instead of the skier.

Monte
07-16-2007, 11:29 PM
explain docking backwards??

We live across the street from a kindly old lady who allows us to use her dock(she has no boat) Unfortunately she lives on the main channel. I refuse to dock on the traffic side of the dock, and the cover is too low for the tower, so it is a reverse/to right forward to left a lot sequence.... The reason for the bacwards docking is hydrodynamics... Boat gets jerked a whole lot more when facing forward.. Let me find a pic

betsy&david Harrison
07-16-2007, 11:32 PM
This is exactly how I dock my boat. She just has to make sure she is coming in very slow if she is not sure of herself. Tiny nudges to the throttle to move in any direction. She will figure it out!

Monte
07-16-2007, 11:33 PM

Both.... I think she'll be careful unless she gets spooked.. I need momma a whole lot more than I need a boat.. The other issue is the co driver. They have an I/O. An entirely different beast. WHEEL TIMe is my main concern... All the way around:o

betsy&david Harrison
07-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Just practice the docking...that is all I needed when I first learned.

Monte
07-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Just practice the docking...that is all I needed when I first learned.

Your advice is well taken... Thanks!:cool:

Tomsinamerica
07-16-2007, 11:50 PM
whenever I've tried to get someone new to tow me, I find that a hoptie (whatever-the-hell-you-call-them-here-kids-bouncy-toy) from walmart with a brick tied to a 2' line drifts like a real person would and doesn't get hurt when people practice pulling alongside to pick up, recover whatever...

Then just practice driving along at ski speed, throw it over the side and talk to her pulling up to it... you can throw it out whenever you want to show her different scenarios....

Just my 2 cents

Monte
07-16-2007, 11:59 PM
whenever I've tried to get someone new to tow me, I find that a hoptie (whatever-the-hell-you-call-them-here-kids-bouncy-toy) from walmart with a brick tied to a 2' line drifts like a real person would and doesn't get hurt when people practice pulling alongside to pick up, recover whatever...

Then just practice driving along at ski speed, throw it over the side and talk to her pulling up to it... you can throw it out whenever you want to show her different scenarios....

Just my 2 cents

To be honest she pulled me like a champ several times:) And she can pull me anytime, I'm kinda glad she fouled up so I could help her learn the #1 rule (protect the skier at all costs). I can be a brick myself... Ah darnit I gotta cut her loose.. I just don't want her or my buddies wife to get hurt..:o

fintek9
07-17-2007, 12:19 AM
Monte I think maybe the instincs will take over! my wife has been watching me over the times and when it was time for her to take total
control she did it, with no probs to speak of. ( S--t not looked from the bushes:o)I'm not stupid! but true, the thing that doe's freak out is the docking, can she just pull in straight, tie up and you straighten out later? or just beep you upon her coming in? I found out that all is understandable when it comes to "the girls night out" they seem to be cool with it.

OH yea, how has your vacation?

Monte
07-17-2007, 12:28 AM
Monte I think maybe the instincs will take over! my wife has been watching me over the times and when it was time for her to take total
control she did it, with no probs to speak of. ( S--t not looked from the bushes:o)I'm not stupid! but true, the thing that doe's freak out is the docking, can she just pull in straight, tie up and you straighten out later? or just beep you upon her coming in? I found out that all is understandable when it comes to "the girls night out" they seem to be cool with it.

OH yea, how has your vacation?

I know she can.. I guess the bushes are calling my name:o
Vacation was great.. We had a lot of beach time 8am til(for the kids).. AND a lot of drink time 8 pm til (for the big kids) (Daily for a week).. Oh yeah! Had a low down boil I swear took us three hours to eat (buddy's a chef). Good time for sure

fintek9
07-17-2007, 12:45 AM
sweet, ..us boated the whole two weeks, no rain, way to much sun, to much drink, it was great, kids had a great time, better then them alone for the summer brake and us to share with them! first day back to work today they all shook there head at how dark I am. nananana to them!
tell you what that was one long a-s day today.

Monte
07-17-2007, 12:54 AM
sweet, ..us boated the whole two weeks, no rain, way to much sun, to much drink, it was great, kids had a great time, better then them alone for the summer brake and us to share with them! first day back to work today they all shook there head at how dark I am. nananana to them!
tell you what that was one long a-s day today.

I'm with you! It was Monday ALL day here too.. I even had to hold the annual planning meeting for The Exchange Club of Shelby..... I is presidentz:confused: loong day......

Hell man! I stay dark!! I don't know if its a good thing, but :D

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-17-2007, 03:53 AM
Monte, Like many others have said, If you're not comfortable than no way should you let her go out by herself. Why not do something like this: 1. Have a day when you let her do everything and all you do is observe. 2. Make a check list and see if she follows every detail.

Tomsinamerica, great tip!

Kaser
07-17-2007, 04:18 AM
I'm not one to drive my dad's old boat... but the one time I did take it out by myself and my friend, we ran into one problem and another mastercraft owner came over and helped us out!

It was a great day and i learned something new!

06197ttlq9-footer
07-17-2007, 10:59 AM
I cant believe she asked to go to the lake and leave you with the kids. How long have you had her? the woman.

She does not need to be out on the boat with out you untill she has proven her ability. Just like one of your bro's that may drive for you. Untill she does the dockin, trailering, and driving so well that you dont even pay attention to how she is doing.

it just takes one little mistake. i would find a sitter bra.

peason
07-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Monte, why can't she just call you when she is on her way in and have you help dock the boat - at least you could be there on the dock. Or why can't she just pull in forward for now and then you could rearrange it later?
Luckily I don't have any of these problems, my wife is probably a better driver than me - since she spends more time behind the wheel!

Monte
07-17-2007, 11:15 AM
I cant believe she asked to go to the lake and leave you with the kids. How long have you had her? the woman.

She does not need to be out on the boat with out you untill she has proven her ability. Just like one of your bro's that may drive for you. Untill she does the dockin, trailering, and driving so well that you dont even pay attention to how she is doing.

it just takes one little mistake. i would find a sitter bra.

Eight years:) My buddy is coming over to watch his kids thank goodness. I'm going to take her out tonight for a crash course, and make her do everything.. I'm still not extremely comfortable with the whole thing, but what do you do. She was ok with me going out with them. The other girl is the one that raised a stink.. I hate that b/c it is my buddy's wife. She can drive a boat, but they have an I/O.. I'm kinda stuck:confused:

Monte
07-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Monte, why can't she just call you when she is on her way in and have you help dock the boat - at least you could be there on the dock. Or why can't she just pull in forward for now and then you could rearrange it later?
Luckily I don't have any of these problems, my wife is probably a better driver than me - since she spends more time behind the wheel!

She probably will call me. I have a feeling I'll be uncovering, loading, docking, and recovering...:o

wakolman
07-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Practice practice practice. My wife is about at the same level as yours, and I know she would never ask to take it out without me. So, since you have already crossed that bridge, I guess I would take her out and have her prove to both of us that she can manuver the boat off the dock and back in a good half-dozen times. I always have to remind my wife to work the boat in and out of gear, since she usually has it in forward at an idle and is going too fast for either coming into the dock or taking the slack up in bringing the rope around to the skier.
Try to get out a couple of times between now and the dreaded day. If she is competent, then she has proven herself, but she also has to be realistic and admit it if you say she isn't there yet. Good luck!

03 35th Anniversary
07-17-2007, 11:27 AM
She can drive a boat, but they have an I/O.. I'm kinda stuck:confused:

We all know........I/Os and direct drives handle totaly different. I would tell your buddies wife, My boat my way.:mad: I don't like to be an ars like that but sometimes thats what it takes. Just work with your ole lady it sounds like she is coming along with it pretty well.
I am just starting to train my ole lady, she drove the boat for the first time last Sat.

TMCNo1
07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Patience, patience, patience!

Maristar210
07-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Monte,

Might I remind you of this dilemma I faced a few weeks back.

Sensei says: Answer inside :http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16971

RexDog1
07-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Wow

This is a hard one????:confused:
What would I do? Well your wife has a good head on her shoulders8p
She marred you right…LOL

I would go out just you and her; she drive and dock 3/5 or so times
With no help from you, bite your tongue, and help her, with commits like
“I would have” or “next time you might try”
She is smart, and after she drives with you, and she feels uncomfortable
And you both talk about it… after the drive, how she did? she will know if she is ready to go out
And with the docking the boat have her pull it in bow first and you can come back and turn it around for her

Safety if the big thing, and if you don’t think she is ready to do it… tell her straight out:(
You can work with her, and what is the rush to do it by herself, she can go out when she is ready, and you feel she is ready?

Monte
07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Monte,

Might I remind you of this dilemma I faced a few weeks back.

Sensei says: Answer inside :http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=16971

I had the exact same thoughts.. And did remember that thread:D

Maristar210
07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Monte,

My friend....

It's just a bote :D

Besides Eric is dying to sell you that 35th Anny boat :D

Monte
07-17-2007, 11:47 AM
I would tell your buddies wife, My boat my way.:mad: I don't like to be an ars like that but sometimes thats what it takes. .

Believe me I wanted to tell her that.. But she already thinks I'm anal:( I don't want her to become so pi$$ed at me that I loose one of my main pullers/ riders/ buddies (he's the only one I can get up at 6 am for runs too) Women can make life hell if they don't like your friends....

KnoxX2
07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Monte

1. You need to have faith. Remember better to have a wife that loves the water as much as you than a wife that hates to go out.

2. Remember when you were new to boating! I remember when I got my first boat and had no one around to show me. Handle her with kid gloves.

3. Take a afternoon and just let her work on docking and speed control pulling up to the dock. Give her confidence don't take it away or scare her.

Just my 2 cents!!!!!!!

When you coming to Knoxville?

Monte
07-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Wow

This is a hard one????
What would I do? Well your wife has a good head on her shoulders
She marred you right…LOL

I would go out just you and her; she drive and dock 3/5 or so times
With no help from you, bite your tongue, and help her, with commits like
“I would have” or “next time you might try”
She is smart, and after she drives with you, and she feels uncomfortable
And you both talk about it… after the drive, how she did? she will know if she is ready to go out
And with the docking the boat have her pull it in bow first and you can come back and turn it around for her

Safety if the big thing, and if you don’t think she is ready to do it… tell her straight out:(
You can work with her, and what is the rush to do it by herself, she can go out when she is ready, and you feel she is ready?

The only other fear I have is the friend. I think I can train Leah;) .. Leah will have to train Marie:o :confused:

Monte
07-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Monte

1. You need to have faith. Remember better to have a wife that loves the water as much as you than a wife that hates to go out.

2. Remember when you were new to boating! I remember when I got my first boat and had no one around to show me. Handle her with kid gloves.

3. Take a afternoon and just let her work on docking and speed control pulling up to the dock. Give her confidence don't take it away or scare her.

Just my 2 cents!!!!!!!

When you coming to Knoxville?

I'm working on the faith.. I think she can do it.. You're right about the confidence thing.

We are plotting out weekends as we speak.. I am looking forward to it.. I won't know much until the end of July..

KnoxX2
07-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Sounds good can't wait to get some friends out on the lake with us from CSM.

You have a great wife who is taking an liking to your passion. Remember she could have devoriced you when you got her the wakeboard for X-Mass! She will do fine...........

You on the other hand will be a wreck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tommcat
07-17-2007, 12:09 PM
i would be fine with the wife driving my boat (after a bunch of training) but you said they were going out skiing. does that mean your wifes friend will be driving your boat? i dont think i could handle that

RexDog1
07-17-2007, 12:11 PM
The only other fear I have is the friend. I think I can train Leah;) .. Leah will have to train Marie

I have a hard time with one women…LOL
But two?? 8p 8p Good luck my friend…:rolleyes:

Monte
07-17-2007, 12:15 PM
i would be fine with the wife driving my boat (after a bunch of training) but you said they were going out skiing. does that mean your wifes friend will be driving your boat? i dont think i could handle that

That is what it means... She will be driving...:o

Don't get me wrong Jay tells me she can drive and he's always straight with me. She is just used to an I/O. I'm probably over-reacting. Darn the worrysome thoughts:(

Maristar210
07-17-2007, 12:16 PM
I have the answer Monte,

I'll drive :D

j/k

Love the boat BTW

Monte
I have a hard time with one women…LOL
But two?? 8p 8p Good luck my friend…:rolleyes:

So................ You see my predicament8p

Maristar210
That is what it means... She will be driving...:o

Don't get me wrong Jay tells me she can drive and he's always straight with me. She is just used to an I/O. I'm probably over-reacting. Darn the worrysome thoughts:(

Driving yes, docking no. Let Leah do that......

or read the post above...... :D

Monte
07-17-2007, 12:19 PM
I have the answer Monte,

I'll drive :D

j/k

Love the boat BTW

You are a BRAVE man:D

Thanks for the compliment:cool:

Maristar210
07-17-2007, 12:21 PM
You are a BRAVE man:D

Thanks for the compliment:cool:

Little ones up on the board yet?

03 35th Anniversary
I got it, tell them your boat it broke down..............:D :D :D This will buy you enough time to think of or do something..........Remember the safty of your MasterCraft is on hand here..........

Rich_G
My wife throws an end-of-school lake party for all her girlfriends every year. It's a ladies day for all the moms before the kids get out of school.

My wife can handle the boat fine, but she would rather not be in charge, and just have fun with her friends. I am the designated driver. I take off the afternoon and I am strictly there to take care of everybody. I'm a fairly good instructor and have taught several ladies how to ski and wakeboard. I am the only guy present and I love it.

The party is split between the dock and the boat, so I think they have plenty of ladies only chat time. I try to be in the background and just take care of the skier / boarder / tuber, etc.

You might offer up this option but it has to be her choice.

Monte
07-17-2007, 12:29 PM
My wife throws an end-of-school lake party for all her girlfriends every year. It's a ladies day for all the moms before the kids get out of school.

My wife can handle the boat fine, but she would rather not be in charge, and just have fun with her friends. I am the designated driver. I take off the afternoon and I am strictly there to take care of everybody. I'm a fairly good instructor and have taught several ladies how to ski and wakeboard. I am the only guy present and I love it.

The party is split between the dock and the boat, so I think they have plenty of ladies only chat time. I try to be in the background and just take care of the skier / boarder / tuber, etc.

You might offer up this option but it has to be her choice.

I offered, Leah was ok with it. Marie didn't appreciate it:confused:

JohnE
07-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I hope you like Jay's next wife a lot more.....;)

I'm really on the fence with this situation. On one hand, I'd be thrilled that Leah has the confidence to try this on her own. (But does she, or is she just listening to her over confident friend?) On the other hand, I Know I wouldn't want the friend driving my boat without me being with them at least once. Just as I wouldn't give my boat to one of my buddies without giving him a get acquainted session. I'd also be skeptical about the friend pulling my wife from a safety standpoint. Do you know that she will have the awareness to keep everyone safe? Probably won't be any coicktails in the mix to further cloud the judgement, right?

Seems like the situation isn't with Leah at all, but with the friend. You are not in an enviable position.

Why don't you just have them board behind the I/O!? Half of the problems are then solved.:D

Good luck!

tex
07-17-2007, 01:07 PM
You could always fly me in to drive for the evening!

Monte
07-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Little ones up on the board yet?

Not yet.. I may have to get a boom soon. He get's out, he just cant get it yet.. we're working on it though:)

Maristar210
07-17-2007, 01:25 PM

I offered first Tex, You''ll have to get in line :D

tex
07-17-2007, 01:28 PM
But I can't ski and would not take away sets from the ladies!

Monte
07-17-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm really on the fence with this situation. On one hand, I'd be thrilled that Leah has the confidence to try this on her own. (But does she, or is she just listening to her over confident friend?) On the other hand, I Know I wouldn't want the friend driving my boat without me being with them at least once. Just as I wouldn't give my boat to one of my buddies without giving him a get acquainted session. I'd also be skeptical about the friend pulling my wife from a safety standpoint. Do you know that she will have the awareness to keep everyone safe? Probably won't be any coicktails in the mix to further cloud the judgement, right?

Seems like the situation isn't with Leah at all, but with the friend. You are not in an enviable position.

Why don't you just have them board behind the I/O!? Half of the problems are then solved.:D

Good luck!

BINGO!

Unfortunately, They would have to trailer their boat... Mine is in the water:confused:

Monte
07-17-2007, 01:30 PM

That'd be lovely;) I can't wait to tell her..

"Since ya'll don't want me out there I'm flying a guy in to drive"

I would duck shortly thereafter;)

trickskier
07-17-2007, 01:38 PM
That'd be lovely;) I can't wait to tell her..

"Since ya'll don't want me out there I'm flying a guy in to drive"

I would duck shortly thereafter;)
Since she KNOWS me................I would be happy to volunteer.............Just tell her I'm there to help give skiing instructions..............;) AND LOOK FOR MY HAT..................:D

PendO
07-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Monte ... you are in a no win situation ... go out and make it so the boat won't start (i.e. disconnect the fuel pump) ... wave as she leaves to go, smile when the phone rings:)

Ric
07-17-2007, 01:43 PM
aw what the hell Monte, you weren't using it anyway. And now you can babysit too, so that's cool.

Well here's the story. My lovely wife has decided to have girls evening out on the boat. Just she and another friend are going to get some runs in. I think GREAT. That is until she tells me that her friend is bringing her kids for me to watch while they are out:confused: OK well ok. Now it gets good. I have been teaching her how to pull me. She has maybe 45 mins wheel time total (in her life). Saturday I was getting a run in with her driving... She was doing well... Until the kid's tube got loose and blew out (it was tied to the lower pylon). I just let go ( I didn't want to get injured in a tubing accident) expecting her to come get me first then worry about the tube. NOPE She stopped.. Me in the middle of the lake. Her 100 yards away pulling a tube into the boat.. Two or three other boats coming at pretty good clip.. I gave her a decent yet dignified lecture about priority #1 while pulling a skier... I also told her that I don't feel she has enough time under her belt. Well she emails her friend (friends husband is my best friend) tells her what I said and tells her it would be best if I drove them for the runs.. Friend gets p!$$ed and says forget it (I know this because Jay told me).. So I tell Leah were going out tomorrow for her to do it all. Undock, drive, pull (I get runs), dock.. Treaining for wed which will be happening I assume.. Am I out of line to think it is not enough time??

milkmania
07-17-2007, 02:13 PM

cut her loose...
if she messes up, just show the second feature of the motor cover:rolleyes:

beatle78
07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
I would let her go, she's a big girl now.... although her overconfidence with lack of experience is a little troubling.... be humble....

every day I'm still learning how to be a better driver.... when you think you've learned everything you're doomed.

Pendo, I like the way you think :)

Monte
07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Monte ... you are in a no win situation ... go out and make it so the boat won't start (i.e. disconnect the fuel pump) ... wave as she leaves to go, smile when the phone rings:)

That would be funny... For a few minutes:o

Monte
07-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Since she KNOWS me................I would be happy to volunteer.............Just tell her I'm there to help give skiing instructions..............;) AND LOOK FOR MY HAT..................:D

I'm afraid the peacocks would swarm you all:noface:

trickskier
07-17-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm afraid the peacocks would swarm you all:noface:
If I ever find that peacock..........................:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-17-2007, 11:12 PM
You babysit??? Do you do windows and dished too??:rolleyes:

From an outsiders perspective, not having read every post here. There seems to be a lack of experience. And with that, it's a no go. Jus' Sayin'
I don't care what type of pressure is applied from an outside source. If you don't think there is enough experience of every aspect of this adventure. Make it another time.

Leroy
07-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Monte;

I would let her go at it and watch the kids or whatever it takes to have her do this. I bet she will do just fine and have a lot of fun with her friends. Even with a little boo-boo, who cares, we all have to go through a learning process. I'm sure she will feel bad even scratching you nice Maristar.

We all had to learn!

Leroy

Doug G
07-17-2007, 11:25 PM

Yes but she is FAMILIAR with me since we were involved in getting her up on a wakeboard so I will volunteer to bear the burdon.

1. Trust her and appreciate what you have. My wife does not want to drive. Can't get her to do it , just not her thing. Furtunately my brother and son do not suffer from the same affliction.

2. Ask her how she feels about it and what she is uncomfortable with. I am sure she is just as worried about parts of it. Then practice whatever she want's to practice.

3. Then reassure her that she is more important than the boat and to have a good time.

4. Drink alot

Did someone say there is an invitation to go gator hunting?

Monte
07-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Update... We didn't get the crash course in... T-storms yesterday evening prevented it. So... I will be undocking her, sending her on her way, and redocking her when she calls me.. She'll do fine.. I hope.. drinking (by me) will be a given..

Maristar210
07-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Update... We didn't get the crash course in... T-storms yesterday evening prevented it. So... I will be undocking her, sending her on her way, and redocking her when she calls me.. She'll do fine.. I hope.. drinking (by me) will be a given..

It'll be fine. Quit worrying :rolleyes: :D

Leroy
07-18-2007, 08:54 AM
Didn't you just go through the same thing Steve?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, but what if......
Speaking of this subject "Mr. I am at work and my wife is taking the boat out because it's now on a lift and I am shaking like a leaf" ....:rolleyes: 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Didn't you just go through the same thing Steve?
You type faster than I...;)

Maristar210
07-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah, but what if......
Speaking of this subject "Mr. I am at work and my wife is taking the boat out because it's now on a lift and I am shaking like a leaf" ....:rolleyes: 8p

You both are exactly correct. It also worked out fine if you will recall.

On the other hand my wife was the only driver.....

trickskier
07-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Sit back and relax.................She's responsible everything will be just fine................:D

Hey, I give the keys to my 17 year old daughter & 15 year old son...........You've gotta trust them sometime, and hope that you've done a good job teaching them.............;)

Monte
07-18-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm not so worried now... Especially since she is not docking.. I hope they have flat water and get some good runs in...

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't know if this is a public or private lake we are talking about.
But if it's public, it's a whole new ball game. Inexperience will get someone hurt. If its just driving a boat, that's one thing. But having someone in tow, regardless of what its on, is dangerous if they aren't used to being on constant watch and being the "driver". The driver has the skier's/boarder's life in their hands as far as I am concerned, and that is nothing to mess around with.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 09:18 AM
Hey, I give the keys to my 17 year old daughter & 15 year old son...........You've gotta trust them sometime, and hope that you've done a good job teaching them.............;)
I've let kids drive the boat from 3yrs - 17yrs, doesn't mean I'd let them give someone a pull if I didn't honestly think they were ready.

trickskier
07-18-2007, 09:19 AM
But if it's public, it's a whole new ball game. Inexperience will get someone hurt. If its just driving a boat, that's one thing. But having someone in tow, regardless of what its on, is dangerous if they aren't used to being on constant watch and being the "driver". The driver has the skier's/boarder's life in their hands as far as I am concerned, and that is nothing to mess around with.
Are you referring to my post???

Monte
07-18-2007, 09:23 AM

It is a public lake, but a very low traffic time. She has pulled me several times.. Pretty well too.. She knows how to watch for a skier.. I have had to give her some "discussion" about the #1 priority, but I think she has that one in her head. I was, and still am, a little apprehensive about the whole situation. Believe me, I was on your side of the fence to begin with. I want them to have a good time. I want her to enjoy the boat. I'm sure she'll be careful..

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Are you referring to my post???
I don't know, I was just making a comment.:confused: It's all relative isn't it?? Did I say something offensive?:confused:

trickskier
07-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I've let kids drive the boat from 3yrs - 17yrs, doesn't mean I'd let them give someone a pull if I didn't honestly think they were ready.
I agree with you 100%...........I have been teaching my kids to drive our boat for the past 5 years and they are better than 90% of the boaters on the lake at any given time..............I would not just give them the keys unless I was 100% satisfied that they were mature and responsible enough.............They have both completed a safe boaters course and have their boaters license..............They are also both Honor Students.............My son made the Preisdents List 3 out of 4 quarters last year and was MVP on the football team............Not that any of that amounts to hill of beans when operating a boat, but I am just pointing out that they are both responsible............

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive when I said I hand them the keys...........A lot of people on here know me and my family personally and have been around my kids..........We boat on a semi-private lake and the FWC does patrol it from time to time..................Not enough in my opinion...........They are always under my watchful eye when they take the boat out by themselves, and as I said earlier they are better boaters than 90% of the other boaters on the lake..............

Trust me they have been taught correctly and have enough experience behind the wheel to be out there............

I don't know, I was just making a comment.:confused: It's all relative isn't it?? Did I say something offensive?:confused:
No offense taken...................I just wanted to clarify that they were responsible boaters.........

djpruitt
07-18-2007, 10:09 AM
This may have already been covered, but just make sure she knows that if she comes in too fast to pick up the skier on her side and gets spooked that she is to turn right past the skier instead of turning left which would throw the rear and prop in the skier's direction. A friend of mine lost part of his foot and had other bad leg injuries due to an inexperienced driver turning away from him at the last second.

jclose8
07-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm hearing what I perceive to be quite a bit of arrogance and high testosterone levels in this thread....
I'm pretty lucky to have a VERY capable wife (in everything, not limited to boating) She takes the boat out by herself, with her friends, INCLUDING trailering, launching, etc...

I guess the biggest question going through my mind as I read this thread is "where did all you expert boat drivers get YOUR experience???" She isn't new to boating... The only way she will get experience is by doing it.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 10:22 AM
I am not sure how many of you get this......
"You didn't tell me............"
I suppose that last example could be one of them.
Or you didn't tell me there was a rock there and that bouy was a marker for it... You didn't tell me I couldn't nose the boat (197) into a 4' wave, you didn't tell me we could use the wakeboard rake as a tow point, you didn't tell me the reason not to have cheesy poofs on board.....:rolleyes:

At times I have to ask, is there a way to teach common sense?

Monte
07-18-2007, 10:27 AM
This may have already been covered, but just make sure she knows that if she comes in too fast to pick up the skier on her side and gets spooked that she is to turn right past the skier instead of turning left which would throw the rear and prop in the skier's direction. A friend of mine lost part of his foot and had other bad leg injuries due to an inexperienced driver turning away from him at the last second.

Here is what I have taught her about pulling.

1. The skier is priority #1

2. Make sure the skier knows the hand signals, and gives the go before starting.

3. Pay attention to hand signals of the skier.

4. Look out for debris in the water. Stay away from it.. If you cannot steer away enough to get it out of the skiers area/path.. Point to it so the skier can steer themselves away.

5. Go in a staight line unless turning around. (signal when you do)

6. When the skier goes down drop to idle (unless skier is in distress) turn around, at idle, drive back to them at idle. Keep skier on the drivers side

7. Turn the prop (hell for that matter) the boat OFF when you get there

8. If the skier is in distress or harms way get back quickly, but safely. If there is another boat coming in and you can tell they are not paying attention, get between the adverse boat and the skier as quickly as possible.

9. Skier is priority #1

Let me know if I missed anything... Or said something wrong..

tex
07-18-2007, 10:27 AM
I agree with you 100%...........I have been teaching my kids to drive our boat for the past 5 years and they are better than 90% of the boaters on the lake at any given time..............I would not just give them the keys unless I was 100% satisfied that they were mature and responsible enough.............They have both completed a safe boaters course and have their boaters license..............They are also both Honor Students.............My son made the Preisdents List 3 out of 4 quarters last year and was MVP on the football team............Not that any of that amounts to hill of beans when operating a boat, but I am just pointing out that they are both responsible............

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive when I said I hand them the keys...........A lot of people on here know me and my family personally and have been around my kids..........We boat on a semi-private lake and the FWC does patrol it from time to time..................Not enough in my opinion...........They are always under my watchful eye when take the boat by themselves, and as I said earlier they are better boaters than 90% of the other boaters on the lake..............

Trust me they have been taught correctly and have enough experience behind the wheel to be out there............

No offense taken...................I just wanted to clarify that they were responsible boaters.........
Sounds like you have great kids-Man would Gene be pissed!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 10:36 AM
"where did all you expert boat drivers get YOUR experience???"
I've been in boats since I was born, and was taught by "professionals".
Got hundreds of hours in fishing boats with trolling motors as a youth, and the motors and boats increased in size accordingly, if I recall, I went from said trolling motor boats, to a fishing boat and others with a good ol' 9.9 on it. Took me a few years to get behind the wheel of the 135 Johnson...:D
Now, I can't exactly say where the "professionals" got their experience to teach me...;)

I guess I took this initial question the wrong way. I assumed there was some hestitation because there may have been some questionable experience. Not so much driving a boat, but pulling a skier/tuber/wakeboarder. And most of the lakes we go to, tend to have ALOT of boats/jetskis. So I am probably out of place here commenting to begin with.

You should be very proud of your significant other. I have become very proud of mine since she was introduced to boating much later in life. But I for one, would rather take the time to do my best at teaching then let them learn the hard way. I don't want anyone getting hurt, that's all.

trickskier
07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm hearing what I perceive to be quite a bit of arrogance and high testosterone levels in this thread....
I'm pretty lucky to have a VERY capable wife (in everything, not limited to boating) She takes the boat out by herself, with her friends, INCLUDING trailering, launching, etc...

I guess the biggest question going through my mind as I read this thread is "where did all you expert boat drivers get YOUR experience???" She isn't new to boating... The only way she will get experience is by doing it.
I can't say that I agree with everything you've said above...............However, I agree that there is no substitute for experience..............;)

Monte
07-18-2007, 10:44 AM

I don't think it is arrogance. I was concerned that my wife, a very capable PERSON, does not have enough wheel time to be out without me. Yes, I had to learn, But my family and friends have been around boats a large portion of my life. Before I bought my boat, she really didn't go with me much. I went out for rides with buddies. She has 45 minutes of WHEEL time. don't want her to get hurt or hurt anybody. The general consensus via the board is to let her go out and don't worry about it. I was not attempting to be arrogant. I hope it did not come off that way. She is going to go, she will get some valuable experience..

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 10:45 AM
X2momma's line seems to be appropriate here......."Whatever"...:rolleyes:

RexDog1
07-18-2007, 10:48 AM
X2momma's line seems to be appropriate here......."Whatever"...:rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing :D

trickskier
07-18-2007, 10:52 AM

2. Make sure the skier knows the hand signals, and gives the go before starting.

4. Look out for debris in the water. Stay away from it.. If you cannot steer away enough to get it out of the skiers area/path.. Point to it so the skier can steer themselves away.

6. When the skier goes down drop to idle (unless skier is in distress) turn around, at idle, drive back to them at idle. Keep skier on the drivers side

8. If the skier is in distress or harms way get back quickly, but safely. If there is another boat coming in and you can tell they are not paying attention, get between the adverse boat and the skier as quickly as possible.

9. Skier is priority #1

Monte..............Looks like you taught and covered everything well.........She should be fine...............:)

André
07-18-2007, 10:56 AM

9. Skier is priority #1

Maybe be sure that the rope is tight and that the steering wheel is in the right position before hitting the throttle but you said the she already pulled you before so maybe she's aware of this...

Hope that all goes well for you and her!:)

03 35th Anniversary
07-18-2007, 11:01 AM

9. Skier is priority #1

It looks like you have covered everthing. Like you said she just needs wheel time with you in the boat....

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I was thinking the same thing :D
Sorry, you were saying:rolleyes: ..... I just got back from the Swimsuit thread....Needed a double dose.......:purplaugh

And then I did a search for pink pics by Mike....Came back with nothin'....:(

RexDog1
07-18-2007, 11:32 AM
Sorry, you were saying ..... I just got back from the Swimsuit thread....Needed a double dose.......

And then I did a search for pink pics by Mike....Came back with nothin'....

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :rolleyes:

Ben
07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Tell her:

1. If ever concerned you can take the boat out of gear

2. If you're really concerned, you can turn the boat off at any time.

3. If you are worried about docking, drop one of the ladies off at the dock, get the boat "close" and have them pull you in with a rope.

4. Have fun & be safe.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-18-2007, 01:59 PM
2. If you're really concerned, you can turn the boat off at any time.
Unless it's taking on water or "instrument cluster notification".
Then decide if a shut down is in order or other.....

trickskier
07-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Unless it's taking on water or "instrument cluster notification".
Then decide if a shut down is in order or other.....
You're on a roll today aren't you???................:uglyhamme

Sodar
07-18-2007, 02:25 PM

All of you guys are such testosterone ridden PIGS!! I cannot believe that you would be concerned about you significant other taking your boat out of your sight.... JEESH!! :noface: Shame on you!! 8p 8p

To answer your question, jclose... I got my boat driving experience through 20+ years of wheel time with a knowledgable boat driver sitting/standing beside me. In my opinion, this is the only way to learn, as you can see there are guys out there who claim to have 20 years of experience, but can not drive a dinghy with a 3hp more for the life of them....

I am the BIGGEST advocate for seat time and real world experience... some one who has been "around" boats all their life and someone who has DRIVEN boats all their life are completely different. Which is why it amazes me that the US Coast Guard hands out professional captains licenses with no requirement of hands on experience. It used to baffle me how a deckhand on the ferry could work on the boat for 5 years, establish enough "sea days", take a test... all without ever touching a steering wheel!!

tommcat
07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

what does testosterone have to do with anything? i wouldnt let anyone take my boat without me in it unless i knew they had a ton of time behind the wheel, male or female.

JohnE
07-18-2007, 03:14 PM

My hesitation is with the friend driving the boat, not the wife. Never driven an inboard/ on an unfamiliar lake/ and you don't know how she is as a driver period. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't give my best friend my boat to use without first giving him a little a crash course first. No pun intended.

trickskier
07-18-2007, 03:18 PM
My hesitation is with the friend driving the boat, not the wife. Never driven an inboard/ on an unfamiliar lake/ and you don't know how she is as a driver period. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't give my best friend my boat to use without first giving him a little a crash course first. No pun intended.
Hey John,
Can I borrow your boat???......................:D

I'll bring it back with a FULL tank of GAS.....................;)

JohnE
07-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey John,
Can I borrow your boat???......................:D

I'll bring it back with a FULL tank of GAS.....................;)

I'm not sure.......;)

but your kids definitely can!:D

trickskier
07-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure.......;)

but your kids definitely can!:D
They're probably BETTER drivers than I am................Because they were taught by a PROFESSIONAL..................:D

Monte
07-18-2007, 03:50 PM
They're probably BETTER drivers than I am................Because they were taught by a PROFESSIONAL..................:D

Who taught the professional:confused:

tex
07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
I can still drive!

Sodar
07-18-2007, 03:58 PM

The professional, himself!!

trickskier
07-18-2007, 04:04 PM
On the JOB Training...............8p
Yes, you are CORRECT...............

Monte
07-18-2007, 04:11 PM

Unsolicited jab;) 8p :D

trickskier
07-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Unsolicited jab;) 8p :D
Sodar always has my back...............:D

Sodar
07-18-2007, 04:19 PM
Sodar always has my back...............:D

Every once in a while I feel bad for the "old guy". I mean you guys steal his hat, make fun of him running out of gas, make fun of the beer he drinks..... every once in a while, poor Tricker needs a break!!! ;) 8p :D

trickskier
07-18-2007, 04:27 PM
Every once in a while I feel bad for the "old guy". I mean you guys steal his hat, make fun of him running out of gas, make fun of the beer he drinks..... every once in a while, poor Tricker needs a break!!! ;) 8p :D
Oh Boy!!!

Sodar
07-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Oh Boy!!!

You are too good of a guy Rick! I just give you trouble, cause.... well, I am not exactly sure why.... I just do!!! 8p

Monte
07-18-2007, 04:32 PM
You are too good of a guy Rick! I just give you trouble, cause.... well, I am not exactly sure why.... I just do!!! 8p

Spit it out Cameron... Caus its fun;)

RexDog1
07-18-2007, 04:36 PM

Ahhhhhhh……… why? :wavey:

trickskier
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM
It's all in good FUN Cameron................That's the only reason I'm here.......;)
Oh, and to give PROFESSIONAL advice of course.............:D

YOU TOO???

Sodar
07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Because you are not around all the time!! :D

Sodar
07-18-2007, 04:55 PM
It's all in good FUN Cameron................That's the only reason I'm here.......;)

Sure is! :toast:

Monte
07-18-2007, 05:00 PM
OK gal and fellas wish her luck... I'm out to babysit!!!!

RexDog1
07-18-2007, 05:01 PM
good luck:D

JohnE
07-18-2007, 05:11 PM

You've taught more than them. I didn't even know the proper way to tow a boat back in until we met. ;) :D

trickskier
07-18-2007, 07:04 PM
good luck:D
DITTO !!!

trickskier
07-18-2007, 08:08 PM
You've taught more than them. I didn't even know the proper way to tow a boat back in until we met. ;) :D
You handled it like a Pro John...............:D

atlfootr
07-18-2007, 08:15 PM
I side for the guy :wavey:

Monte
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Job well done!!!:D Just thought I'd let you all know... She didn't even call me to help her dock:( ... Boy did I overreact. :o

Of course I do have to go fix the cover:rolleyes:

Doug G
07-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Job well done!!!:D Just thought I'd let you all know... She didn't even call me to help her dock:( ... Boy did I overreact. :o

Good to hear , and of course you overreacted, she did tell you that right?

Trick your advise may be "professional" but is it " official " ? If so Tex can start you your own advise thread and UMP can make it official ...

Oh BTW Trick, after seeing your daughter sitting up on the tower my son has adopted that as one of his favorite places to hang, so the "teaching" must be a family trait

Monte
07-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Good to hear , and of course you overreacted, she did tell you that right?

Heck No! she has no idea this thread exists.. I never said as much to her about it than I posted here... NOBODY better say a WORD!

betsy&david Harrison
07-18-2007, 11:45 PM
[QUOTE=monte72]Job well done!!!:D Just thought I'd let you all know... She didn't even call me to help her dock:( ... Boy did I overreact.

Great Job! That goes for both of you :D

Doug G
07-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Sooooo.... what's the going rate for purchased silence these days anyway?

Monte
07-18-2007, 11:52 PM
Sooooo.... what's the going rate for purchased silence these days anyway?

Don't make me call Kevin:mad: ;) :D

Doug G
07-18-2007, 11:56 PM
too late... she took a personal day today and spent time with him... not sure which movie but then that never seems to matter anyway

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Well since Dr. Hoosier is NOT in, and UMP is drink, I say that you are fine. Wax the boat, polish the woman, and fill the cooler with beer. tell the high strung female to call me, I will fix her. I am the cooler like in roadhouse. just be nice. dont provoke, dont fihgt, be NICE!!! did I mention I am taeching Ms UMP to drive boat! she towed the mayor!!! :D

Doug G
07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Somehow I don't think the Mrs was as "high strung" as the hubby was...

Monte did she clean it? I believe that is the standard set by other wives of "concerned" hubbys.

Monte
07-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Somehow I don't think the Mrs was as "high strung" as the hubby was...

Monte did she clean it? I believe that is the standard set by other wives of "concerned" hubbys.

No way it is clean.. The cover wasn't even on right when she got back.. OH well... runs for me tomorrow!!

I have to go clean it!!!!!;)

betsy&david Harrison
07-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Shoot! I always help clean the boat or do it myself if David isn't around.

Monte
07-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Shoot! I always help clean the boat or do it myself if David isn't around.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh;)

betsy&david Harrison
07-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh;)
I'm going to tell David that it's a Mans Job! next time

I cook,clean...

You clean boat!

Monte
07-19-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm going to tell David that it's a Mans Job! next time

I cook,clean...

You clean boat!

Then he gets a spare run in:D :rolleyes:

Doug G
07-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Betsy can coach her on how to use it when you aren't around.... now we're gettin a plan!

betsy&david Harrison
07-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Then he gets a spare run in:D :rolleyes:
We aren't talkin an extra "ski" set are we;)

trickskier
07-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Trick your advise may be "professional" but is it " official " ? If so Tex can start you your own advise thread and UMP can make it official ...

Oh BTW Trick, after seeing your daughter sitting up on the tower my son has adopted that as one of his favorite places to hang, so the "teaching" must be a family trait
I didn't know it had to be "Official" to be "Professional" I think you're trying to throw me a curve ball Doug.........................;)

As far as sitting on the tower...................My daughter is one that likes to be noticed....................:rolleyes:

trickskier
07-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Job well done!!!:D Just thought I'd let you all know... She didn't even call me to help her dock:( ... Boy did I overreact.

Breathing again Monte??? :D

Maristar210
07-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey Monte

Glad to see everything went well. Now you can rest easy.

Steve

beatle78
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
glad it went well.... they definately don't appreciate the boat as much as we do.

To us it's an extension to our family.... to them (most anyway) it's just a floating fun toy that magically runs and looks good everytime we use it.....

oh well, I make up for it by tracking mud in the house... hehehe I guess we're even.

RexDog1
07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Job well done!!!:D Just thought I'd let you all know... She didn't even call me to help her dock ... Boy did I overreact.

Happy all went well!!!!!!:D

You did not overreact.

You just care for your love ones:headbang:

pilot02
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
OK, 14 pages... did someone at least get laid??

Did i say that... :D

Trickskier... Met ya at CSM and sounds like you've got great kids. I see my son in the same sense and sounds like there's a lot in common between them.. My son (14 in Nov) does not pull me in the course but pulls me oftentimes barefooting. We've been all around the boat as far as safety and he's in scouts where he's gotten some knowledge of first aid etc. but I will say that after my personal experience last week he will be getting some training in just how to react under stress in a bad situation because we regardless how responsible or cautious we are, we never know just what might happen.

My exp last monday night... I'd been invited to swim at a friends house whom I'd taken skiing (her son and her roomates 2) and the owner decided to do as he'd probably done a couple hundred times before and jump off the roof of his shed (12-16ft) into the pool. Long story short, he slipped and missed. Myself and my friend were in the shallow end of the pool. He landed half in/half out with his head under water and unable to move. I immediately jumped over, lifted his head above water and then had my female friend get out to help lift him onto the side of the pool since I physically could not (big guy and was slipping down into deep water when trying). I immediately immobilized him, had another friend call 911 and then had my friend get blankets because although his pulse was steady at first it was evident he was getting a little shocky. EMT's arrived, took one look and before even checking vitals called for Life Flight! Had it not been for the fact that he probably would have drowned, I wouldn't have moved him but that wasn't an option.

Bottom line is that he's Lucky! He's still pretty screwed up and it's going to be a long road to recovery but he is alive and will recover... (Fractured Pelvis, collapsed lung, fractured ribs, and compound fracture of the right wrist) No more jumping off the shed into the pool though, I can guarantee that!!

trickskier
07-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey Pilot02,

Yes, I remember meeting you Saturday at Mike's house.............Thanks for the kind words about my kids.......And good lucky teaching yours!!!

On another note.............That guy is LUCKY you were there and knew what to do!!!.............

My daughter turned my game room into her bedroom a couple of years ago.............Long story short it over looks our pool and I was afraid the samething might happen one day, so I had a screen enclosure put over the pool..................Problem solved................

Good luck to your friend for a speedy recovery...............

beatle78
07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
figures, one guy goes and wrecks it for the rest of us grrrrr