PDA

View Full Version : pink trans fluid

handymantotherescue
07-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Does this mean i can still save the tranny, i guess water has entered the fluid system please help.what is the the proper way to get the bad fuild out ?

tommcat
07-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Drain the system completely and refill, do it again and again until you get perfectly clean fluid.
or if you know any auto techs you can use a transmission flushing machine. i use ours on my boat and it works great

jeverett
07-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Replace your tranny cooler, cheap insurance

Farmer Ted
07-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Replace your tranny cooler, cheap insurance

better yet, check that your bilge pump is working

what year/model is your tranny?

JimN
07-17-2007, 09:34 AM
handyman- what year is the boat?

Remove the oil cooler, have it pressure/vacuum tested and repaired. A radiator shop can do this. Drain the transmission and buy a few gallons of ATF. It's not that expensive and should be cheaper in gallons, anyway. Fill it, couple the lines that were connected to the cooler and run it, to cycle the ATF through the transmission, several times. There won't be a heat problem, because it's not going to be under load. Change the ATF until it comes out clear, and when you think it's good, save a sample of it and let it sit for a couple of days, so you can see if any water settles out or foam comes to the top. Watch it like a hawk after this and change it after running it on the water.