PDA

View Full Version : Maristar Steering issues

jwarren01
07-16-2007, 08:25 AM
I was reading some old notes relating to a problem I am having and saw some that were right on but did not see the resolution. We just bought a 1994 Maristar and while under speed are having a binding and stiff steering issue. Any thoughts?

bigmac
07-16-2007, 09:00 AM
I was reading some old notes relating to a problem I am having and saw some that were right on but did not see the resolution. We just bought a 1994 Maristar and while under speed are having a binding and stiff steering issue. Any thoughts?Three possble issues:
rudder port needs grease - give the zerk a couple of shots (it will be hard to inject grease into it, you will probably need a lever-type grease gun). If it won't hold grease, the O rings may be shot.
lube the rudder cable - it may have a couple of grease zerks on it, or you may need to smear some lithium grease on it with the rudder cranked way over, then work it in by turning the wheel left and right
the rudder port is out of tolerance - at speed it pushes the rudder back angling it against the port and it binds. Grab the rudder and jiggle it to see if there's excessive play. It shouldn't wiggle at all. If it does, it's possible the O rings are shot, or the port/rudder post are excessively worn.
the cable is shot and not recoverable. If you do the other things and it still binds, you'll likely need to replace the cable. They sit in the bottom of the bilge and water will eventually kill them. This is probably the most likely issue.