PDA

View Full Version : Oil Changed - 6 Quarts Drained

PeteS
02-21-2005, 09:49 AM
I just finished a long, but successful oil change over the weekend in my '88. You guys probably won't care as much as I did, but I thought I would share, the bozo before me who owned the boat had over 5.5 quarts of oil in it!

I just finshed reading a thread regarding the capcity being right around 4, and I managed to drain 5.75 right out of the bottom of the oil pan & filter - no pump. I wonder if that was the reason the boat wouldn't go over 36 :( ?

He had the filter on so tight I broke my filter wrench, and had to drive a 1/2 socket extension through the center to get any torque to twist it off. Sorry to whine, just venting a bit.

phecksel
02-21-2005, 01:41 PM
I seriously doubt the proper oil level is four qts. Five or six would be the proper amount. 5.5 is possible if the original engine call for a long oil filter and five qts and the owner put on a short filter.

PeteS
02-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the resopnse. This board is a great resource, because typically there is someone on here who has had the same issue as you in the past, or at least knew of someone who has.

The thread below talks about how it is very difficult to get all of the oil out when draining or pumping, and people with years similar to mine only seem to be able to get around 4 quarts. The fact of the matter is, I got almost 6 quarts out, and who knows how much was still in the bottom of the pan. But I do agree, the first time you hear 4 quarts for a 351 Ford you think twice:

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1210

Brn85ss
02-21-2005, 04:19 PM
My ford will hold about 4.5qts.Every one I talk to about this says the same about 4-4.5qts.

jimmer2880
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Are you sure it was all oil? I once had a mechanical fuel pump get a diaphram leak, which put gas into the oil.

Just something to look at/smell.

AirJunky
02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
If you had a qt & a 1/2 over, it should have blown seals or spewed out the valve cover breather or PVC valve, at least registered high on the dipstick. It's been a while since I had a 351 so I don't recall how much oil they held, but it would have been causing problems.

PeteS
02-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback! Now this is really getting concerning! I didn't notice any gas in the oil, or in the pan after draining fortunately.

The drained oil sat in the pan for about 3 hours, and if there was fuel in there you would have thought it would have seperated out by then. Plus there was no fuel odor, just stagnent oil.

You have a good point, Airjunky. I'm not sure what's going on at this point. I just know the pan was reading 5.75 quarts, and most on here are stating that this era of marine 351W's have capacities of around 4 to 4.5 quarts -- maybe it was just a the verge of spewing/overflowing. Thanks again.

east tx skier
02-22-2005, 12:18 PM
I just finished a long, but successful oil change over the weekend in my '88. You guys probably won't care as much as I did, but I thought I would share, the bozo before me who owned the boat had over 5.5 quarts of oil in it!

I just finshed reading a thread regarding the capcity being right around 4, and I managed to drain 5.75 right out of the bottom of the oil pan & filter - no pump. I wonder if that was the reason the boat wouldn't go over 36 :( ?

He had the filter on so tight I broke my filter wrench, and had to drive a 1/2 socket extension through the center to get any torque to twist it off. Sorry to whine, just venting a bit.

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but depending on filter (long vs. short), 5.5 isn't unusual. That's what I pulled out of mine last fall (dealer had done the last oil change). Zero mechanical issues last season.
-Bozo ;)

phecksel
02-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Now this is really getting concerning! I didn't notice any gas in the oil, or in the pan after draining fortunately.

The drained oil sat in the pan for about 3 hours, and if there was fuel in there you would have thought it would have seperated out by then. Plus there was no fuel odor, just stagnent oil.

You have a good point, Airjunky. I'm not sure what's going on at this point. I just know the pan was reading 5.75 quarts, and most on here are stating that this era of marine 351W's have capacities of around 4 to 4.5 quarts -- maybe it was just a the verge of spewing/overflowing. Thanks again.

http://www.indmar.com/files/manual/indmar_2001_om.pdf

Page b-2 states 5.5 qts with filter change. Now that is for the newer chevy engine, but I can't believe the 351 would be any less. I used 6 qts in my 88 tristar with a long filter. Should be the same engine.

PeteS
02-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Please help me, BrianM! I'm getting eaten alive over here :uglyhamme ! Could it be that maybe I was wrong for jumping to conclusions? My world is crumbling to pieces ;) !

east tx skier
02-22-2005, 12:40 PM
We had this discussion a little while back. I checked with a Mastercraft dealer who told me that with the long filter, 5.5 quarts was normal for a Ford 351.

PeteS
02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
The only thing I'm thinking is I remember seeing discussions of the difficulties people were having getting all of the oil out of the pan. I think even at one point someone talking to an Indmar rep, who confirmed that it is very difficult to accomplish that.

I was able to successfully drain just about 6 quarts. Not to mention I had to drain it out of my bilge, without a drain kit (hose), in my cold MI garage. The used oil was quite viscous, and that also leads me to belive there was still some left in the motor beyond the 6 that came out. Catch my drift my main man, Tx? :)

east tx skier
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I gotcha. I used a pump to get the 5.5 out. I do it in the fall and run the boat up to temp on a hose before I change it. Whether I got it all, I don't know. I hope so.

BrianM
02-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Here is what I end up with. I did an oil change a couple of months ago and this is what I do and get. Warmed up the boat and drained through the hose on the bottom. I get out almost exactly 4 quarts of oil plus I would guess a little less than half a quart in the old filter. Changed the filter with a Napa Gold (I think this is a long filter about 6" long). Put a little bit of oil in the filter (about a pint I would guess) to avoid a completely dry start. Fill the crank case with 4 quarts of oil. Check the dip stick which usually reads above full.

I am almost positive that I get all or nearly all of the oil out of the pan. After running for an hour or two the oil looks perfectly clear so I can only assume that there wasn't much if any dirty oil left in the pan from the change.

With a little over 4 quarts of oil my dipstick reads about 1/2 inch over full. I always look at the back side of the stick because it seem sto give a better read. The front side always is smeared. I think (take this for what it is worth which probably isn't much) that the dipstick is a poor design in these older boats. They have quite a crook in the dip stick tube and I think that oil has a tendency to sit in there and give a false overfull / smeared reading.

So PeteS. I think 5.5 quarts is probably overfull by about a quart but I think that with these engines and pans that probably wasn't overfull enough to cause any spewing or damage. When you add the oil for the change add 4 quarts and then check the stick. Top off with a bit more if necessary.

By the way I use strait w30 HD dino oil. That is what the manuel calls for ad the boat has ran trouble free with it for 17 years now so why change.

PeteS
02-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the great description, Brian. We are on the same page then in terms of oil changes. I shouldn't have called the previous owner a "bozo" then, I must have over-reacted and we all make mistakes!

I used straight 40w oil, only because that is what was reccomended to me. Next time I will go with the 30w as your manual calls for, as the oil I have in there now is a little thick. I don't think it will be a problem, at least I hope not. Thanks again for all who commented!

east tx skier
02-22-2005, 03:36 PM
My manual also calls for SAE30, but I put in a call to Indmar last year, and they suggested 15W40, which is what I'm using now.

sfitzgerald351
02-22-2005, 11:26 PM
My manual calls for 10W40 in my 84 454. But I use the newer 15W40 oil since I guess they are supposed to be better designed to run at higher rpm continuously (or something along those lines)

BriEOD
02-23-2005, 07:55 AM
My 351 takes about 5ish quarts. No problems. Sometimes when you get it in the water and it sits level you can get a better reading.