PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Silencer

JHogins
07-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Hello - I recently Joined the MasterCraft family and purchased a 1994 VRS 225. What a great boat!!

The guy I bought the boat from said there was a small leak between the exhaust hose and the silencer on the PS. Well - the small leak has turned into a big leak from over tightening the clamps and egging out the tube.

Questions:
1) Can I buy just one - or do I need to buy them as pairs?
2) Do you really need them? - I like V8 noise.

Thanks - Jon

André
07-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Are those fiberglass Silentmaster exaust?If so,you can repair them with ...fiberglass!:D
Not hard to do and the finish doesn't need to be like a Corvette...

JimN
07-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Use something to re-expand the end to the original diameter and re-glass it. Thin-walled PVC would work and you can leave it in place. Make sure the resin is mixed properly and add a couple of layers of woven roving fiberglas. This looks like cloth, not random fibers. They're both strong but the woven kind is easier to work with on irregular surfaces.

JHogins
07-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Andre - the brand is "Ulitmate Silencer". I will go ahead and repair ilo buy new - Thanks!!!
Jon

André
07-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Andre - the brand is "Ulitmate Silencer". I will go ahead and repair ilo buy new - Thanks!!!
Jon
Follow Jim's advice and it will be a piece of cake...
welcome to the board!:)

JHogins
07-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Jim - Great to know I can repair them. Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't have thought to leave the PVC in place - but why not...
I'll get started today and post back some finished pics.

btw - nice avatar - did you see the special on Les Paul (PBS) the other night? It might have been a repeat - but very cool...

TMCNo1
07-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Jon
Apparently someone has already replaced the mufflers, OEM mufflers are "SilentMaster".

rasmithaz
07-15-2007, 04:10 PM
hey JHogins I have a Silentmaster for you out in the garage that is barely used if you need one. pm me-

planoboy
07-15-2007, 04:48 PM
I had the same problem, (also, '94 225 VRS, see pic)
As mentioned use pvc for inside diameter shape. I used Marine-Tex w/ fiberglass, built it up good, reshaped outside dia when dry. I worked the pvc pipe loose after about 30 min dry and did not leave in place.
"real men have a pink stripe on their boat" ~unknown?...

JHogins
07-15-2007, 05:54 PM
hey JHogins I have a Silentmaster for you out in the garage that is barely used if you need one. pm me-
Thanks rasmithaz - I already started reparing the one I have. If it doesn't work out I let you know - thanks again...

JHogins
07-15-2007, 05:58 PM
As mentioned use pvc for inside diameter shape. I used Marine-Tex w/ fiberglass, built it up good, reshaped outside dia when dry. I worked the pvc pipe loose after about 30 min dry and did not leave in place.
Nice Boat - Looks familar:)
I started reparing the silencer this afternoon - I'll do what you suggest and build it up then shape it down.
Thanks for the info - Jon

JHogins
07-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Planoboy - Are you in Plano, TX??
If so, any lakes up by you not flooded??
The two nearest lakes to us (Waco and Whitney) are closed from all the rains...

planoboy
07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Yep, I'm here in plain old flat lander Plano.
Most boatramps are closes as all the lakes are flooded here.
One ramp open on lake lewisville, great entertainment watching the wallys launch / trailer. pull up a beer and enjoy the show.
Did you see the pwc go over the lewisville spillway? jeez...
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=3708206&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1

KelBCx9
07-16-2007, 03:31 PM
If the fiberglass doesn't work you can use 3M panel bonding repair. Part# 08115 it is 2 part uses a mixing tube. This stuff can fix any fiberglass,plastic product. It cures with heat is able to be shaped and doesn't need an adhesion promoter.

JHogins
07-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Yep, I'm here in plain old flat lander Plano.
Most boatramps are closes as all the lakes are flooded here.
One ramp open on lake lewisville, great entertainment watching the wallys launch / trailer. pull up a beer and enjoy the show.
Did you see the pwc go over the lewisville spillway? jeez...
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=3708206&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1
Yeah - Evel Knievel wanabe...
We went to lake Buchanan last weekend - Awesome!
Have you ever been to Lake Fairfield? - thinking about it for this weekend.

JHogins
07-17-2007, 09:40 AM
If the fiberglass doesn't work you can use 3M panel bonding repair. Part# 08115 it is 2 part uses a mixing tube. This stuff can fix any fiberglass,plastic product. It cures with heat is able to be shaped and doesn't need an adhesion promoter.
Thanks KelBCx9 - I looked the 3M product up...it looks like some heavy duty stuff. I started the silencer repair a couple of days ago with fiberglass/resin - so far so good. I should have it ready to go by this weekend. I'd like to buy a tube of the 3M adhesive just to see what it can do...

JimN
07-17-2007, 09:46 AM
KelB- is that System 2000? There were problems on another ski boat brand where their "damping box" would leak and we used something called Plexus, which I assume, is very similar. Incredibly strong.

One thing about this kind of adhesive- DO NOT TOSS THE USED MIXING TIP IN A GARBAGE CAN WITH PAPER OR OTHER COMBUSTIBLE MATERIALS! Enough heat is generated to cause spontaneous combustion, so it's better to put it in a gallon of water.

JHogins
07-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Finished repairing the intake side of the silencer. Thanks for the help TM:)
Maybe not the most beautiful repair job ever...
Cost of repair - $13.50

Before pic:
After pic:

thijs
08-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Sorry to awaken this old thread, but I had to laugh that someone quoted my ol' signature.

No one did answer whether or not we can ditch the mufflers?

JKTX21
12-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I have a question about one of my silencers as well. I've noticed some leaking around the seal (towards the front) on one of my silencers. I've been debating tearing into it since it's minimal right now. Is this something that will crack and bust all of a sudden or will it slowly get worse?

88 PS190
12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
No one did answer whether or not we can ditch the mufflers?

You can surely ditch them if you want... I mean really all you'd need is either stainless pipe or flexible pipe and you could run it to the back.

Then you will have a louder exaust.

Now the question is if that is what you want.

You know when one of those boats with through hulls goes tearing off down the lake and it pisses everyone off? well atleast they do that in the middle of the day. Skiers are out in the morning... And if you have neighbors you risk them getting P/O'd and attempting to get quiet hours imposed, and you know that means you can't ski till 10 AM and the tubers will be awake and out in force when the hours lift.

Atleast people with those speedboats have captains calls so they can shut them to underwater exaust to avoid the dread DNR noise violation.

TMCNo1
12-16-2007, 04:18 PM
There are several sources including a MasterCraft dealer for replacement mufflers.

east tx skier
12-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I have a question about one of my silencers as well. I've noticed some leaking around the seal (towards the front) on one of my silencers. I've been debating tearing into it since it's minimal right now. Is this something that will crack and bust all of a sudden or will it slowly get worse?

Jeremy, if it goes the way my father in law's has gone, it will slowly get worse. A little bondo kept his at bay for a few seasons though.

Prostar Rich
12-28-2007, 05:59 PM
Had the same problem on my prostar with a leaky silent master muffler that was going bad. I ditched it and went with flexible exhaust hose from D.I.M. I ended up cutting off the elbows on the silent master muffler to route the hose. Best mod I did to the boat. Cleared up the engine bay and the sound is not too loud. No where near some of the boats on my lake with thru hull exhaust.

Prostar Rich