PDA

View Full Version : I have a Slalom Question

MC G
02-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Somethings been bugging me for a while and I wonder if anyone out there knows the answer. I'm a subscriber to WSM and I notice that the majority of the pro skiers who ski goofy foot hold the handle with their left hand on top ( if holding the handle vertically ). I ski goofy foot and I hold the handle with my right hand on top, however virtually none of the pros do this. My question is, does anyone know if this makes a difference?

H20skeefreek
02-20-2005, 11:00 PM
I would imagine that it's a matter of comfort.

sfitzgerald351
02-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Interesting question...

I don't know the answer but I'm now curious as to what others do. I ski left foot forward and hold the handle with my left hand on top, like I'm holding a bat left handed. I'm probably not a good example of what to do right since I do about half of everything left handed (like tennis) and other things right handed (like golf).

wakesport
02-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Right foot back = Right hand on top
Left foot back = Left hand on top

It does make a difference. I ski right foot back and always had my left hand on top. Then I went to a clinic with Wade Cox and he sugested switching. It was strange at first but now it works much better.

H20skeefreek
02-21-2005, 12:23 AM
any reason why? an explanation would be helpful. thanks in advance for the info.

east tx skier
02-21-2005, 12:47 AM
This is sort of confusing. I'm RFF, and Right palm down. Is that what you're saying, Wakesport?

H20skeefreek
02-21-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm utterly confused now. I'm setting here, analyzing how I do it, and after analyzing it, can't figure out why either would be better than the other. Regardless, your hand that is on the handle in the turn will be palm up. so how does it matter? if it does, i certainly want to know, b/c i'm probably doing it wrong.

east tx skier
02-21-2005, 01:03 AM
In the turn? Or in the load? Example of what I'm doing. When I'm loading across the wakes onside (RFF going to ball 1, 3, or 5). My right hand is closeset to my body (outside hand) and is palm down. It is getting more pressure than my left (palm up) Going to 2, 4, and 6, my left hand is still palm up, but is my outside hand (still palm up).

This picture is a little blury (point and shoot), but this is how I go. Yes, I'm making a nice face for you.

east tx skier
02-21-2005, 01:12 AM
I'm sure there are examples to demonstrate any style you could imagine, but this was the first one I found. It's from www.drewross.com. The similarities, of course, end with how we've got our palms positioned.

crdickey
02-21-2005, 02:58 AM
LFF = Left palm down / lower hand
RFF = Right palm down / lower hand

Just like swinging a bat or a golf club.

The benefit is in the wake crossing not the reach in the turn. I keeps you much more balanced. Try and picture Andy with his plams reversed in the position. He would be holding the handle vertically and ( IMO ) would not be as balanced.

kpickett
02-21-2005, 03:02 AM
The so called "correct" way is for LFF to have left palm down and RFF to have right palm down. The reason for this, as I've been coached, is to equalize somewhat the off-side and on-side pulls. For a LFF skier, having the right palm up helps to square your shoulders to the boat on your off-side (2 to 3) pull.

That said, many skiers ski "incorrectly" - notably Natalie Hamrick and Jeff Rogers. I see it more often with LFF skiers. I am LFF and I do it "wrong." I've tried to switch, but I just can't seem to do it comfortably.

KWP

Professor
02-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Boy, been in this discussion before! I agree with crdickey and kpickett. It is a balance question. However, after several elbow problems (medial epicondylitis and cubital tunnel syndrome) I started switching my grip to compensate for any overuse/injury. It was difficult at first but over a period of time (weeks) it gets easier.

Nova Scotia Skier
02-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Interesting subject. I wondered about this for a while too until I went to Lucky Lowe's last year. I was afraid he was going to make me switch my grip since I am LFF and I ski with left palm up. Instead he made another guy with right palm up switch his grip. He said left palm up is the correct way. The guy that had to change liked it better. Lucky said it makes you pull more the same both directions. But that's only one guys opinion.

geoff faulkner
02-21-2005, 11:04 AM
A friend of mine's had some pro training and changed his grip' left foot forward right hand on top the reason given when you've completed your turn ie right side you get a more direct pull through your body because the handle is closer to your to your hip tie a rope on some thing it's true feel's strange at first but it works!!!

Mag_Red
02-21-2005, 11:23 AM

So this is correct then???

Mag_Red
02-21-2005, 11:24 AM
ops! Just saw the post.........I'm *** backwards???

Ric
02-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Chuck, that Pic of Mapple KICKS A$$!!!!

Professor
02-21-2005, 12:47 PM
So this is correct then???
Mag, not sure about the grip but the facial expression looks perfect ;)

MarkP
02-21-2005, 01:11 PM
What are you talking about?? I thought he was taking a nap:cool:

Mag_Red
02-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Just because my eyes are closed doesn't mean I'm napping! :uglyhamme I was thinking..........."Don't fall..............Don't fall!"

kpickett
02-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Since crdickey posted a pic of Andy doing it "right," here are two more world record holders doing it "wrong."

pdoppenheim
02-21-2005, 04:18 PM

This is absolutely the right way to do it. From April Cobble's school to an Andy Mapple clinic.

MC G
02-21-2005, 10:28 PM
This I think is part of my problem. I'm right handed and swing a bat and club with my right hand on top. But I ski RFF. Sounds like the learning curve for this summer just got a little steeper. Thanks everyone for all of the feedback.

stevo137
02-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Now you guys got me thinkin' too much! :confused:
Left palm down for me and also still enjoy RTP.
Whoops, that's another thread! ;)

dhcomp
02-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Left foot forward is left palm down.
YES, it makes a difference like everyone says. If you are doing it incorrectly, take the plunge and correct it.

Its easy to rememeber which is correct if you remember that a jump grip is the same as right foot forward....so the left foot forward ppl grip the handle "backwards" for jump

jimmer2880
02-22-2005, 06:50 AM
This I think is part of my problem. I'm right handed and swing a bat and club with my right hand on top. But I ski RFF. Sounds like the learning curve for this summer just got a little steeper. Thanks everyone for all of the feedback.

It's not about being what handed you are, rather what footed you are. If you usually kick the ball with the right foot, put the right one in back.

Way too much thinking going on around here - I'd better get back to work!

Jorski
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM
**It's not about being what handed you are, rather what footed you are. If you usually kick the ball with the right foot, put the right one in back.**

Actually, the vast majority of skiers and instructors would suggest that your dominant foot be in the front binding.

Mag_Red
02-22-2005, 10:53 AM
**It's not about being what handed you are, rather what footed you are. If you usually kick the ball with the right foot, put the right one in back.**

Actually, the vast majority of skiers and instructors would suggest that your dominant foot be in the front binding.So you are saying that most right handers, which would kick with their right foot, would be goofy footed?? I always heard that you see which foot you land on when you jump in the air. We should take a poll of right handed people and see the results. :twocents:

MasterMason
02-22-2005, 12:12 PM
I learned to ski on a single when I was about 5 by stepping out of a double. Since the right was on the side closest to the beach, I stepped out of that one and put my foot behind. I can get up either way, it just feels better to me with my left in front because that was how I did it from the beginning.

jimmer2880
02-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Actually, the vast majority of skiers and instructors would suggest that your dominant foot be in the front binding.

Unfortunately, I have to completely disagree with that. Your dominant foot is the power foot, and the other one is your balance foot. More power in the rear of the ski, with balance in the front.

You're going to have to show me a link that says I'm wrong before I believe this one. :popcorn:

east tx skier
02-22-2005, 12:59 PM
I kick the ball with the right foot and it's my front foot. I've always equated it to balance. Sneak up on someone and shove them. Which foot do they put out to catch themselves. For me, it's the right foot.

Farmer Ted
02-22-2005, 01:08 PM
I heard that if you stood and had someone push you backwards the foot you put back to catch yourself is the foot that goes in the toe plate.

Works for me, although I have thought about trying to ski goofy foot forward to see how I did.

Professor
02-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Hummm...hold on guys, there are a few students I can test the theories on down the hall...

stevo137
02-22-2005, 01:38 PM
I heard that if you stood and had someone push you backwards the foot you put back to catch yourself is the foot that goes in the toe plate.

Works for me, although I have thought about trying to ski goofy foot forward to see how I did.

Farmer, while I am certainly no pro and only ski for fun and excercise, I learned with some very good skiers and the standard test was a simple push as you have suggested.
It's quite simple, you will always put your dominant foot back.
The dominant foot naturally should be in the back binding, it is the most natural and balanced position.
This is a very subjective subject and however one has learned they should probably stay with unless they are ready to spend precious time on the water to make the change.
For example, I am a lefty but learned to play golf right handed. There is no way that I would ever go back and try to play lefty.
(It is interesting to see that the majority on Mags poll seem to line up with this, right handed, right footed, right foot back.)

east tx skier
02-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Try it, it's so worth it for those in the boat. My father-in-law, gave LFF a shot (he's goofy). It was a hoot! :uglyhamme