View Full Version : Learn to Foil

atlfootr
07-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Here ya go, take it from here :rolleyes:

bigmac
07-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Here ya go, take it from here :rolleyes:

Take it from where?

Best place to start is to have someone teach you. Go to a Fly-In. If you're going to be self-taught, best place to start IMHO is Bob Woolley's instructional tape (http://airchair.com/products/videos.htm) that come with Air Chair's Stealth model. I've not seen anything on the web that is particularly useful for the beginner. The two Yahoo groups seem to mostly be people griping about the politics of hydrofoiling, and Foilfreaks participants seem mostly to be the same. On that latter group, you would be far more likely to get help landing your first wake roll than you would about how to actually get up on the thing. Lot's of advice about to to modify or build you own foil/board for only $10,000 too - otherwise not so much.

One challenge about learning from someone is that most people who have sufficient skill to teach have a foil that is likely to be a little too hot to learn on easily. I taught several people to successfully get up on my Stealth, but teaching people to get up on my B39 Sky Ski with tuned foils has been much more problematic. I could change the foil height, shims, blades etc in order to teach people, but really that's more on-water, in-boat mechanical disassembly/reassembly than I want to do.

Don't be afraid to buy an entry-level foil to learn on. I bought my first foil, an Air Chair, new on ebay for $1100 and sold it on ebay for $1000 18 months later once I'd outgrown it. I think the Air Chair Stealth is a great foil to learn on. I know nothing about the entry-level Sky Skis, but I suspect the same concept applies. The transition from Stealth to B39 was pretty straightforward and my capabilities expanded rapidly once I got on a hotter foil (at three times the price of a Stealth, though).

atlfootr
07-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Take it from where? BMc,

I just made a thread for these guys to post related foil stuff on, in NO WAY SHAPE or FORM DO I EVER PLAN TO:
Give an instruction
Post any pic's
Comment on this threadThis is one of many aspects of the sport I know nothing about or care to try, thank you every much. :wavey:

JohnnyB
07-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Rob, thinking of taking up another water sport??? :D

atlfootr
07-14-2007, 02:00 PM
Jus' the opposite, I'll pass on this one and stay on my feet :)

bigmac
07-14-2007, 02:05 PM
BMc,

I just made a thread for these guys to post related foil stuff on, in NO WAY SHAPE or FORM DO I EVER PLAN TO:
Give an instruction
Post any pic's
Comment on this threadThis is one of many aspects of the sport I know nothing about or care to try, thank you every much. :wavey:

Ah. I get it. I was eagerly looking for the link I thought you were posting. We noob foilers need all the help we can get.

tex
07-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Go to a flyin

softailcowboy
07-15-2007, 09:59 AM
don't seem to be many or any fly ins in ca? I've been foilin for 1 season. basically self taught. was hopin for a flyin at lake shasta this yr. since sky ski relocated there.

davekro
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm in Northern Ca. (Discovery Bay), and would love to go to a 'Drive In' Shasta where Jake and SS are would work. Of course the Delta is literally my back yard so that would be awesome! ...
(snap out of it Dave, you are dreamin' ;o)

AirJunky
07-17-2007, 09:56 PM
The crew from AirJunky.com & Foil-n.com have plans to be on Shasta the week of August 18th - 25th. We've got one of the big 3 story houseboats out of Sugarloaf so if your in the area, come on out & join us!

BTW, Softail Cowboy, we just did an event on Shasta back in Sept. of 06 (http://www.foil-n.com/gallery.html) & had a blast!

softailcowboy
07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
I could make some of those aug. midweek dates......i'm about 3 1/2 hrs from shasta and have friends in Redding. Also I go to delta couple times a yr as I have friends in Bethel Island..........Steve

ProTour X9
07-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Uh..........I wanna learn how to airchair :D All I know what to do is don't lean too far forward or too far back.

alpine740
07-18-2007, 09:11 PM
I have a late model Air Chair for sale on ebay as we speak if anyone is interested. These things are a blast to ride, even in the middle of the day when the lake is rough. Get a v-bridle and put the beginner/intermediate foil on to learn how to ride. Ask the driver to drag you slowly through the water until you get control how to turn it. Then once you get up you can focus on maintaining a steady altitude. These things are so much fun, I rarely ride my wakeboard anymore.

Happy to answer any beginner / intermediate questions; still working on inverts so can't help you with those. I have learned a fair bit on foilfreaks.com.

If interested, go to ebay and search for Air Chair Stealth and it will take you to the listing.

Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Chair-Stealth-Hydrofoil-Water-Ski-Airchair_W0QQitemZ320138594169QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1 5272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Doug G
07-19-2007, 12:01 AM
What's the injury risk with all that metal flyin around when one crashes? they look like a blast but also look pretty easy to take a beating on.... or off as the case may be.

alpine740
07-19-2007, 12:20 AM
The key is to stay strapped in at both the waist as well as your feet. My painful moments have come from landing a jump sideways, impacting my ribs. If you don't jump, you don't have much to worry about. I have had much more painful falls on the wakeboard. Fortunately, I have never been hit by the foil itself. Keep strapped in and it shouldn't happen.

bigmac
07-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Yeh, my ribs occasionally take a real shot. My Oneill Law vest has great protection for the rib area, though. Love it.

Also, those sideways falls that smack the ribs can also rupture an eardrum. A Pro-Tec helmet with ear flaps works great for that, as well as protecting the head in case the feet come out on an aerial and the foil comes around. I use Lonnie's Cinch foot stays and have NEVER had my feet come out. Just ordered a set of his new foot wraps too.

WakeSeeky
07-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Just ordered a set of his new foot wraps too.

The new foot wraps are awesome. :cool:

tex
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Who did you order them from? Sorry I just re-read-Lonnie Rocks-His customer service is 2nd to none!

bigmac
07-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Who did you order them from? Sorry I just re-read-Lonnie Rocks-His customer service is 2nd to none!What a great guy. Although, he did help me talk myself into dropping $525 to try that Max Air front wing. He said it's just the thing for old guys like him and me - that was all it took.

tex
07-19-2007, 07:20 PM
I ordered my foot wraps from him one afternoon-received them the next day-regular mail. I love the wraps. I will upgrade my foil assembly next year and he has secured my business. He is great to talk with. Nice guy all the way around!

WakeSeeky
07-20-2007, 11:28 AM
:D My biggest problem with calling Lonnie is I end up chatting longer than than I should. Awesome guy, great customer service and excellent products. Can't ask for more than that.

tex
07-20-2007, 11:33 AM
He actually cut my last conversation shot with him. He was walking into some type of non-foiling reunion. People were trying to talk with him and he just kept going until it was impossible for him to talk.

Commandohorn
07-28-2007, 10:20 PM
First buy some ibuprofin, cuz it's gonna hurt!

bigmac
07-28-2007, 10:25 PM
First buy some ibuprofin, cuz it's gonna hurt!Hydrofoiling can cause pain when you start going for the big air, otherwise it's a low-stress, low-pain endeavor. Ibuprofen not required.

tex
07-29-2007, 12:30 AM
I got a femur that says different!

bigmac
07-29-2007, 08:34 AM
I got a femur that says different!You broke your femur learning to hydrofoil? Hydrofoil learning takes place at about 10-14 mph. I can barely envision how breaking a bone would be possible barring some kind of impressive equipment failure.

This one time, at band camp, I almost drowned a buddy I was teaching to foil......but he survived without any broken bones, and didn't need any ibuprofen afterward. (Just oxygen.)

/

tex
07-29-2007, 09:57 AM
I wasn't learning to foil. Been riding off and on since 91. Broke the condyle off of the femur when I fell over after doing a back roll. Doctor still doesn't understand how it happened.

bigmac
07-29-2007, 10:22 AM
I was learning to foil. Been riding off and on since 91. Broke the condyle off of the femur when I fell over after doing a back roll. Doctor still doesn't understand how it happened.I think we're in different context. I was thinking we were referring to "learning to foil" not "learning to do back rolls on a foil".

Yeh, I agree...once you progress beyond crossing the wake, things can get a little dicey. It might even be more dangerous than wakeboarding or slalom skiing.

tex
07-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Mine was just a freak accident. I think it's very safe.

bigmac
07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Mine was just a freak accident. I think it's very safe.Breaking a condyle -- sounds like you stumbled into a knee-knocker. I know some guys foil with kneepads with the padding turned to the inside.

tex
07-29-2007, 11:20 AM
I asked the doctor if it could have been done by hitting my knees together. He said to break the condyle like I did, you have to take a hard hit on the bottom of the feet(like in a car wreck or jumping off your garage and landing on the concrete). Either way, it sucks for me!