PDA

View Full Version : Strange Noise

jrhollow
07-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Took the boat out today and found a new noise when I shift in and out of gear (I think when the shaft starts/stops spinning). It's a short high-pitched sound like an old door being opened or metal on metal.

I did a quick search on this site and it sounds like it might be the strut bushing. Is there anyway to test to see if that is what is making the noise? Any other ideas on what it might be? If it is the strut bushing will I do more damage to run it for another weekend before fixing it? What do you think it cost to have the dealer fix it?

The boat is a 03 x2 with 360 hours.

Thanks guys!

jrhollow
07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
any thougths.........

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 12:47 PM
I mgiht have this same problem?

Is it when you put you boat in gear you get a noise somewhere between a sweak and rubing noise. Low RPMS

TMCNo1
07-14-2007, 01:15 PM
In 18 years I have heard the same/simular noise a couple times and it is explained in this post, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=373383&postcount=4, the sound appears to be coming from the transmission/stuffing box/strut, but at a certain stage of wear, the impeller squeals and the sound is somehow transmitted thru the engine toward the rear.
It won't hurt to check the impeller.:twocents:

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks No1

Does it hurt to run the boat with the noise? And also when i turn the prop the strut make a load click...click...click... Not like the 96 which was more of a grown or squeal dry.

I'm working on the 2007's teak today!

TMCNo1
07-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks No1

Does it hurt to run the boat with the noise? And also when i turn the prop the strut make a load click...click...click... Not like the 96 which was more of a grown or squeal dry.

I'm working on the 2007's teak today!
I've never run mine with the sound, because the first time I heard it, I abount went ballistic, so I isolated it to the water pump by using the small boat paddle by placing it on the various parts with my ear against the other end. I changed the impeller immediately, in the lake, with my spare in the tool box and the sound went away. Next time I heard the sound I changed the impeller immedialely, cause I knew what it was.

You got me on the strut "click". Just for the giggles, hit the strut bushing/shaft with some non-stick cooking spray and see if it still clicks.

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Im on it..brb

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 01:45 PM
still clicking..

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I sprayed the strut bushing with some non-stick cooking spray and it ran all the way to the other end as i was turning and i still the click noise

TMCNo1
07-14-2007, 03:22 PM
I sprayed the strut bushing with some non-stick cooking spray and it ran all the way to the other end as i was turning and i still the click noise

I'm lost other than it may be something to do with the dripless shaft seal/stuffing box where the shafts comes out of the hull. This is on the 2007 boat, right?

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Ya I has to be the strut the noise is a load CLICK CLICK CLICK

TMCNo1
07-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Ya I has to be the strut the noise is a load CLICK CLICK CLICK
Grabbing for straws here, but is it the cotter pin on the end of the shaft sliding in it's slot?

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 03:51 PM
It was... But i bent it back more so it can't rattle anymore. This isn't like a tiny little click it is a big meaty click like CLICK not click... meaty lol

Roonie's
07-14-2007, 03:52 PM
My 2007 X2 does not click when you turn the prop. It is butter smooth and no noise.

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
hum.......

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Dealer is far can't get up there for another two weeks. What should i try now?

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 03:55 PM
i am going to try to record the noise

SDAhockey21
07-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Ok fine tune you ears! Here is a video I just shot of me turning the prop, the click/growning noise you hear is what im talking about...

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSx7_qtEng

TMCNo1
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, that's a new one! Sweet way to show us the noise, but I'm totally lost, just check to see if it's out of gear and the neutral safety switch is pulled out.

jrhollow
07-14-2007, 06:57 PM
I called the dealer and he thought my issue might be in the strut bushing. I sprayed WD-40 on it and took it out on the lake. It didn't make a sound for about 1/2 hr and then started up again. I'm going to assume that the WD-40 wore off in the water and that the culprit is the bushing.

According to the dealer it won't cause more damage by continuing to running it, just annoy the h*ll out of me.

The dealer said they usually replace the whole strut instead of just the bushing. I'm assuming because the bushing is a pain get out. They estimated a new strut, seals, labor (have to re-align the engine) to be around $900 to fix.

I debating pulling the strut off and only replacing the bushing. Has anyone done this? If i take this approach do you think I am going to have to re-align the engine and how much work is that to do?

TMCNo1
07-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I called the dealer and he thought my issue might be in the strut bushing. I sprayed WD-40 on it and took it out on the lake. It didn't make a sound for about 1/2 hr and then started up again. I'm going to assume that the WD-40 wore off in the water and that the culprit is the bushing.

According to the dealer it won't cause more damage by continuing to running it, just annoy the h*ll out of me.

The dealer said they usually replace the whole strut instead of just the bushing. I'm assuming because the bushing is a pain get out. They estimated a new strut, seals, labor (have to re-align the engine) to be around $900 to fix.

I debating pulling the strut off and only replacing the bushing. Has anyone done this? If i take this approach do you think I am going to have to re-align the engine and how much work is that to do?

You might be interested in this thread that I've been posting on today,
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=17794
Cheaper than any $900 dealer job if you like to DIY!

jrhollow
07-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Thanks TMCNo1! I'm planning on replacing the bushing myself. I have never taken the shaft out of an inboard and have looked around the site, but haven't found much.

How do I get it out? Do I have to buy the shaft puller? Is it easier if I do?

jrhollow
07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Anyone have any suggestions?

wesgardner
07-19-2007, 11:01 AM
You should be able to find some threads on:

Breaking the coupling loose, then using an old bolt of the proper length placed in the space between the two coupling halves, recouple and tighten thus driving the shaft out the backside of the coupling...the shaft can then just be slid out (you have to pull the prop of course)

You can also borrow a puller from AutoZone (or sim.) that'll work...

The way I remember removing cutlass bearings (that's the grooved rubber sleeve with brass casing that's pressed into the strut) is once the shaft is out, take a hack saw blade and cut a slot longitudinally thru the cutlass bearing end-to-end - you may have to cut two slots being careful not to damage the strut...I assume on these power boats, the bearing is pressed??? into the strut - the cruising/racing sailboats I worked on had a couple of allen set screws thru the sides of the strut and once removed the bearing could be removed and a new one carefully pressed/driven in....

Maybe dropping the strut is a good time/labor/back saver - in my experiences it was never on option

Wes

jrhollow
07-19-2007, 01:10 PM
When I put the shaft back in am I going to have to get any additional gaskets?

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
When I put the shaft back in am I going to have to get any additional gaskets?
Gaskets for what?