PDA

View Full Version : questions regarding distributor

milkmania
02-20-2005, 10:01 PM
my 1991 prostar 190 won't start

351 carbed Indmar.

I've not dug deep enough to see if it's getting spark from the contacts, but I read about so many recommending getting away from the contact type distributor.

there seems to be two electronic kits that get mentioned quite a bit....
I think Perktronics and something else.

my questions are:
(a) to switch over to electronic ignition, do I needto replace the distributor or just install the electronics to the old distributor?
(b) do I need to go to the 8 mm wires also?
(c)will a regular 351 distributor & coil work? I realize the need for marinization.

I remember an ol' 69 Nova I had, we put an HEI distributor on it, very simple...
Install distributor, run new plug wires, twist two wires together, and fire it up!:steering:

jimmer2880
02-21-2005, 08:02 AM
You'll use the stock distributer, wires & (most of the time), coil. However, I hear that sometimes a new/different coil is required.

call Vince at www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com) - he'll answer any questions you'll have. They really know their stuff. Their prices are decent also.

BrianM
02-21-2005, 08:54 AM
You'll use the stock distributer, wires & (most of the time), coil. However, I hear that sometimes a new/different coil is required.

call Vince at www.skidim.com (http://www.skidim.com/) - he'll answer any questions you'll have. They really know their stuff. Their prices are decent also.

Ditto, but the only reason you would need a new coil is if the one you have is weak anyway. Besides that just take the points out, install the electronic (takes 20 minutes max) and your done. Best $99 you'll spend.

BriEOD
02-21-2005, 09:11 AM
I did this last summer and Brian is correct. Check out this link it has step by step photos and directions.

http://classifieds.mastercraft.com/messages/16543/15161.html?1090685505

milkmania
02-25-2005, 01:47 PM
well.......
now that I've read that thread, ordered the part from pertronix, looked at my distributor, and figured out that mine's already been changed out.

oh well...good thing I kept the receipt and didn't open the box:o

Ski-A-Rees
02-25-2005, 02:01 PM
As of last sunday I'm takeing my electric ignition off and going back to stock! I don't know if you ski in salt or fresh water but it has been even worse for me! Last sunday I was having alternator trouble and it was running at 11.5 amps which screwed up the electric ignition and the boat ran like crap! It almost sounded like it wasn't running on all cylinders it was so bad!

BrianM
02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Very interesting. I thought that the electonic ignition wanted the full 12v instead of a resisted 8v or so.

Me thinks you have another issue...............

Storm861triple
02-25-2005, 04:21 PM
The first thing you need ot do is diagnose why your engine won't run. THEN decide if you want the benefits of Electronic ignition.

As of last sunday I'm takeing my electric ignition off and going back to stock! I don't know if you ski in salt or fresh water but it has been even worse for me! Last sunday I was having alternator trouble and it was running at 11.5 amps which screwed up the electric ignition and the boat ran like crap! It almost sounded like it wasn't running on all cylinders it was so bad!
You had other issues. Electronic ignition should work absolutely fine at 11.5 volts. It should work fine down to about 8 volts.

jsonova99
02-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Milkmania,

I couldn't get my '91 to start last weekend, all I did was spend about $10 on new plugs. I let it sit all week and just tried it this morning. Started up immediately. My guess is that you probably have a similar problem. I have a new cap and rotor coming from skidim to finish the job, but the plugs alone seemed to do it.

milkmania
02-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Milkmania,

I couldn't get my '91 to start last weekend, all I did was spend about $10 on new plugs. I let it sit all week and just tried it this morning. Started up immediately. My guess is that you probably have a similar problem. I have a new cap and rotor coming from skidim to finish the job, but the plugs alone seemed to do it.

hmmm.....I'll keep that in mind.....

when this freaking fracking wet weather pushes through:rant:

:)