PDA

View Full Version : Why two oil filler-caps?

ivectoryou
07-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi.

We recently purchased our first boat (2001 Prostar 195) and last night I noticed that it had two oil filler caps (one on each valve cover).

I am assuming that we can add oil to either, but I also was curious if there is a reason for having two oil filler holes.

The engine is a Chevy Vortec.

Thanks in advance.

trickskier
07-13-2007, 01:15 PM
You have to add equal amounts of oil to both sides of the engine.......:rolleyes:

dmayer84
07-13-2007, 01:21 PM
The left side is for v drives, the right side is for direct drives.

Sodar
07-13-2007, 01:21 PM
You have to add equal amounts of oil to both sides of the engine.......:rolleyes:

I say this in the same manner as Val Kilmer in Top Gun!!

*Cough-B-U-L-L-S-*-T-Cough*

TMCNo1
07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Optioned for lefthanded or righthanded people!:D

TMCNo1
07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Are you sure they are not 710 caps?:rolleyes: 8p

trickskier
07-13-2007, 01:31 PM
I say this in the same manner as Val Kilmer in Top Gun!!

*Cough-B-U-L-L-S-*-T-Cough*
LOL....................:uglyhamme

Rockman
07-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Are you sure they are not 710 caps?:rolleyes: 8p

Yes, the one marked "OIL" is where the oil goes and the one marked "710" is where you add in the 710 (which recently replaced the 303 stuff).

Just being a smartya$$...;)

wesgardner
07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
You know guys, someone who didn't understand the playful humor of internet boards/forums could really get confused...

Have a great weekend

ivectoryou
07-13-2007, 03:51 PM
You know guys, someone who didn't understand the playful humor of internet boards/forums could really get confused...

Have a great weekend

Don't worry about me not understanding smart-*** comments because you see, I am an Air Traffic Controller and in case you've never met any, we are officially the world's biggest group of smart-asses ever assembled! You better have your A-game on when you show up for work because it's a regular feeding-frenzy if you screw up or say something stupid.

Cheers,

Pottsie

TMCNo1
07-13-2007, 03:51 PM
OK,OK,OK, let me compose myself and tell you to contact Indmar @ http://www.indmar.com/
They can give you a straight answer, I believe.

03 35th Anniversary
07-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi.

We recently purchased our first boat (2001 Prostar 195) and last night I noticed that it had two oil filler caps (one on each valve cover).

I am assuming that we can add oil to either, but I also was curious if there is a reason for having two oil filler holes.

The engine is a Chevy Vortec.

Thanks in advance.
The actual reason for it is the same engine was used in V-Drives, and to make prodution faster (faster=cheaper) they just put the same valve covers on all engines. This way they can bolt any engine to any trans.

That or you have put equal amounts of oil in each side......:D

TMCNo1
07-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Don't worry about me not understanding smart-*** comments because you see, I am an Air Traffic Controller and in case you've never met any, we are officially the world's biggest group of smart-asses ever assembled! You better have your A-game on when you show up for work because it's a regular feeding-frenzy if you screw up or say something stupid.

Cheers,

Pottsie

Sorry for us getting off track, but this question was asked some time ago and the same thing played out and I don't really remember if there was a definitive answer then, other than one that EngineNut may have gave, because he works for Indmar.

trickskier
07-13-2007, 06:32 PM
OK,OK,OK, let me compose myself and tell you to contact Indmar @ http://www.indmar.com/
They can give you a straight answer, I believe.
You whimped out.......................;)

TMCNo1
07-14-2007, 01:18 PM
You whimped out.......................;)

Yea, just like General Custer, fight till the end and still get killed!:rolleyes:

trickskier
07-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Yea, just like General Custer, fight till the end and still get killed!:rolleyes:
You knowz I'm just funnin wiff you #1..................:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
You knowz I'm just funnin wiff you #1..................

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme I had to say something or I would have failed!

Now, excuse me, I gotta go study for a urine test!:rolleyes: :D