PDA

View Full Version : Adding A Rear Tow Hook To A 2002 X-7

mdthacker
07-13-2007, 07:51 AM
I am not sure if anyone has any experience in this area. I have a 2002 X-7 which does not have a rear tow hookup on the boat. There is a stereo remote in the center location of the back. Is it possible to add a rear tow mount to this configuration??

If not, there might be an X-7 up for sale soon to be replaced by a v-drive. We tend to have enough people on the boat that tubing from the main pylon is a problem. Also, I was told that I should not hook the tubes (yes plural) on to the tower (factory).

Cousin_Jeff
07-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I have a 2002 197 that also does not have a tow ring. I understand you situation. We are not big tubers and in fact I think I pull a tube maybe 1 day a year.

I hate to see you spend thousands on a new boat just because of this. Have you tried options like a tow harness?
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=12_Rope_Harness&r=view&i=10421&aID=

Then again, getting a new boat may be fun too.

Evan Jones
07-13-2007, 08:45 AM
I think a rear grab rail was an option on your boat. This grab handle has a hook on it to attach your rope to. Talk to your dealer or one of the dealers here on the site and they'll get you one.

mdthacker
07-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Hey, this might help! Does anyone have any experience with these? I would plan on towing up to two adults on two tubes. This will put some "side" force on the rear corner hooks and I am not sure of their strength.

And yes, getting a new boat could be fun as well. I have been looking at the X-1 and X-2...

uawaterskier
07-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Hey, this might help! Does anyone have any experience with these? I would plan on towing up to two adults on two tubes. This will put some "side" force on the rear corner hooks and I am not sure of their strength.

And yes, getting a new boat could be fun as well. I have been looking at the X-1 and X-2...
are you talking about the rear lifting rings on each side of the transom? I wouldn't see why you couldnt tow from those, they are made for lifting the boat for a short period of time. Hope that helps

jkski
07-13-2007, 09:11 AM
The rings located on the transom will hold. I have had my boat suspended by chain hoists hooked to these while I wax the bottom and it is dangling 6 feet above the ground..so tubers...yep it'll hold. Like someone else pointed out though, you can have a rear grab handle added, which has a built in tow ring. I am not certain of it's capacity, however, I am sure your dealer can get you the specs.
Good luck.

mdthacker
07-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the excellent information & ideas!!!

tex
07-13-2007, 12:30 PM
When we act like wally's. I tow the tube from the tower. No issues.

Archimedes
07-13-2007, 12:43 PM
I tow the kids on the tube from the tower and it works much better than the pylon. Keeps the rope out of the wake so they aren't constantly getting sprayed.

bigmac
07-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Any of those things will work. The pylon has plenty of strength for pulling things - two big tubes would be no problem. Same for a properly installed rear towing eye (through-transom with backing plates). The lifting rings are exceedingly strong and you could pull about 30 tubes from those using a "Y" type rope. I pull tubes from my factory installed rear towing eye/grab handle and it's just not a problem. I pulled my big honkin' kite tube with a 200+ rider from both locations frequently as well, at substantial speeds and stress. Never gave it a thought.

Sodar
07-13-2007, 01:18 PM
I too have pulled from the tower... OOPS!! Did I just say that??

I actually think that in the 2007 MasterCraft Rewind DVD, that Wade Cox pulls a tube off the tower of his 2006 TT 197, not that this would warrant use off the tower... just saying! :)

mdthacker
07-13-2007, 01:35 PM
I just checked with the local MasterCraft dealer and they are going to see if the rear grab bar is still available for my boat. They'll let me know early next week. I like this idea first because it would probably "look" best. Otherwise, the harness will be the ticket...