PDA

View Full Version : 89 ProStar - Sound

lzdjsp
07-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Couple of questions.

My 89 Prostar makes a highpitch sound, when I put it in gear. Someone told me that It was the rubber bushing that the shaft rides in, but it sounds like a bad bearing to me. Are the bearings in the strut ?

And, is it okay to put the boat in gear out of the water ?

Thanks.............

TMCNo1
07-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Couple of questions.

My 89 Prostar makes a highpitch sound, when I put it in gear. Someone told me that It was the rubber bushing that the shaft rides in, but it sounds like a bad bearing to me. Are the bearings in the strut ?

And, is it okay to put the boat in gear out of the water ?

Thanks.............
Do not run in gear out of the water, unless the cutless bearings in the strut are lubed with something, I wouldn't even do it with lube, but that's my choice.
Does it make the noise when it is in the lake?

lzdjsp
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
It does make the sound when it is in the water as well. And it has a vibration as well. Not sure if they are related.

TMCNo1
07-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Been there, done that! If the sound goes away just above idle while getting up on plane, I stopped it by replacing the water pump impeller.

lzdjsp
07-21-2007, 10:38 PM
The impeller does make a little noise, but this noise is coming from the shaft area, either where it goes out the boat, or at the strut.

justinglow
07-21-2007, 11:40 PM
It is probably your strut bushings. If it makes a whistle sound while coming out of gear, that is more that likely your problem. Not that hard to replace on your own.

lzdjsp
07-22-2007, 02:23 PM
What is the replacement procedure for a 1989 ProStar 190 ? Do you have to remove the strut, detach the drive, remove the prop ?

Thanks

jayderwin1
03-05-2008, 09:42 PM
is it possible to remove the shaft without a shaft puller?

88 PS190
03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
is it possible to remove the shaft without a shaft puller?

ya, totally, you need to remove the prop, disconnect the coupler bolts, slide the coupler back, then you have to remove the nut inside, which if you take a peice of Square metal bar and drill two holes matching the distance between two on one side of the coupler, then bolt it up to the coupler, you can generate enoguh torque to get it off, then it is possible to squeeze it off by getting longer bolts and pulling the couplers together with a narrow deep well socket inside, but you need to go carefully, and once you have some pressure on it (and spray with penetrant) you can tap the coupler gently to make it let go. and shaft should come out.

If its been done before should be easier.

Oh and open up the packing gland and such so the shaft can get out.

When I did it, I disconnected the strut by removing the bolts (8 I think), then I hit the strut sideways with a rubber mallat while holding it so it didn't go flying (prop off), keep the strut controlled so you don't torque the packing glad with the shaft. You can generate some good force doin that.

Slide it off the shaft.

Getting them out can be a chore w/o a bearing puller.

I cut through mine with a hack saw blade in a holder, then used a chisel to get it folded a bit, then grabbed it with a vice grip and rolled it inside itself like a sardine can.

I pressed the new ones in with a bottle jack press.