PDA

View Full Version : '98 Fuel Sender Adjustment

dpolen
07-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I have a 98 Maristar. My fuel guage has been reading full all year, then it suddenly drops to "honey, we better stop for some $4.09/gallon gas" low. I took a sneak peek at the fuel sender unit this evening...there are two green dials on the top of it labeled "Full" and "Empty". Can I actually turn those dials with a small screwdriverto adjust the sender so I can get a more accurate reading on my fuel guage? I really don't want to have to take the sender apart...that's a little more risky than this guy wants to take on from a mechanical standpoint. Anybody got a link or guidance on how to get a more accurrate reading for my issue here??? I wish I had my camera with me tonight, would have been helpful to show you guys what I'm talking about...but maybe this is a standard part on all MC's...I just don't know.

Thanks in advance!
Doug

chevy08bud
07-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Doug, go to skidim.com and find the fuel and carb. section on their site. Under that, find the fuel tank sending unit section and click on the mc universal sender. It has the same adjustment screws on it and they have the directions on the top of the page. I just installed a new one in my boat and it works great. Hope this helps.

dpolen
07-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks Chevy08bud!

Sweet...so I wasn't nuts to think it would be an easy adjustment. I needed a little nudge from my buddies here to give this fix the old college try. I bet I can get this done quickly before we hit the lake on Sat AM.

This is why I really like this forum...oh, the swimsuit thread ain't too bad either ;-)

chevy08bud
07-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Not a problem, this place is great! It doesn't take much adjusting, and be careful, those are plastic and can strip very easily.

JimN
07-12-2007, 11:53 PM
If you have the sender that has adjustment screws, look at the harness and see if it has two wires or three. They didn't use the three wire sender for very long.

One thing about the electronic (capacitance) senders is that the quality of the gas makes a huge difference in how accurately it will read and adjust. Don't set "Empty" at the bottom of the tank. If you do and you have a long way to go in order to get off the water, you'll probably run out on the way back to the launch. I usually set E at the 2" mark. You need to set the Empty before the Full mark. I would also recommend going back and re-checking E after you're done. I use a clean, clear soda bottle filled with fresh gas, also called a Pop bottle, by some people.

dpolen
07-13-2007, 08:57 AM
If you have the sender that has adjustment screws, look at the harness and see if it has two wires or three. They didn't use the three wire sender for very long.

Jim, thanks for the response...I don't know if it has 2 or 3 wires as the boat is at the marina right now... Are you suggesting I replace it if its one of ones with 3 wires? Not sure what you were trying to have me take a look at, but I do appreciate your guidance.

Very good point about setting the Empty 2" above empty....the last thing that anybody needs to have happen to them is to think you have fuel and end up running dry.

Doug

JimN
07-13-2007, 09:19 AM
They stopped using the three wire sender. You'll see how many it has as soon as you look at it.

dpolen
07-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys...made the adjustment this afternoon on an unplanned ski session...that was a pretty easy fix.