PDA

View Full Version : '81 MC owners, I ask for your input

fig
07-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi guys,
I am boat newb but a seasoned engineer looking at my first MC boat. It is an 81 closed bow with a powerslot 190 tranny. The motor was pulled from a junkyard apparently in Minnesota and it now has an 87 L81 corvette motor in it. I am wondering what to look for in a boat like this:
Several items of interest:
-One exhaust had a meltdown on powell and he had to rebuild the entire system, flaps and additional silencers were added. For the same reason he added a second bilge pump to avoid another situation where excessive water was coming in and not enough bilge to pump it.

-Original trailer broke a spring and tilted the boat damaging the strut, prop and apparently the shaft. All have been replaced. and boat has been repainted.

-Wood stringers that he says are in amazing shape. he inspected the entire understructure apparently when he had the motor out. He has said all systems have been inspected and redone or gone through.

I am interested in this exclusively for wakeboarding and ballasting it properly for such if possible. It comes with a skylon and a home-made ballast what ever that means.

My main concerns are with the structure (wood) and examining rot as well as knowing what the real value is. I plan on driving it Sat. and should get some better feedback. But any input on an '81 you can share in terms of wake and common problems. There does not seem to be much info on this year even pics are scarce. Its a hump and doghouse style not a rear bench seat. Can someone explain how the prodrive is superior to a velvet drive...two speed?

My other choice is an 88 ski supreme with 750 hrs that looks to be solid, steel transom and stringers for that year which appeals to me.

Things like vinyl an interior are not a big concern as I can do all that stuff as well as the mechanical. Just wanted to ask the MC crowd about this class of boat.

The guy is asking $5500, but I never pay full price for anything.
Thanks, Fig

M Shore
07-12-2007, 10:27 PM
If you dont need a title ill sell ya mine alot cheeper than that. look at boat Identity thread for details.

Jerseydave
07-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Is an L81 a big block chevy? If so, was this boat originally a big block boat? Most had a Ford 351.

I'd check the stringers real well. That would be major if replacement is needed.

Neither one of these boats are your best choice for wakeboarding, IMHO. Maybe an older tri-star would make a better wake.

JEREMY79
07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Not the best wake

Bolts holding the motor mounts to the stringers should be a 9/16"....I think, if I remember.....Make sure that they get tight. That would be a quick check on the stringers.

Check your wiring also.

Two bilge pumps????

fig
07-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. Gonna drive it tomorrow and get my nose in there like a hound dog.

yeah 2 bilges...weird. I guess it freaked him out to be sinking in Lake Powell with no options.

Oh and I realize this may not be ideal for wakeboarding but my budget is low right now because this is a "trial" to see if its worth it to keep a boat in CO. I grew up in Wash. State and there was plenty of water there. CO you gotta pay to get the good stuff.

Fig

fig
07-13-2007, 08:46 PM
If you dont need a title ill sell ya mine alot cheeper than that. look at boat Identity thread for details.

Your boat looks like a great labor of love, I would love to take it if I did not need a title. :)