PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Tower Speaker Owners

Diesel
07-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Love them...........they are great tower speakers and sound perfect for my needs...........however, I did have a problem which might apply to other owners. This is not a rant just a heads-up.

I noticed the 6.5 separate on both the left and right were not working. The tweeters were working as well as the 5.25 coaxials but neither 6.5 had and output.

So I started to dissect the cans to see what was up. Well turns out on both speakers the negative coil connections has pulled loose. It was hard to notice since the leads were halfway still glued to cone. I gave them a little tug and it pulled apart. Either they were too short or were not soldered correctly upon assembly.

Here is a pic of the damage.

Diesel
07-12-2007, 04:38 PM
So after a bit of cleaning and the trusty old soldering iron I was back in business. A pic of the fix.............

quincyfirefighter
07-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Diesel, What year are your Fusions. I have a set also and will be checking next chance I get. Think mine are about two years old. Oh also I'm still using my CDMR80D remote and had a question about it that maybe you can answer. How do you turn off that stupid volume noise that you get when the volume is turned up or down. I know it's in the remote because if I adjust the volume at the head unit I don't hear it. It' sounds like a electronic bell. Does the CDMR70's do the same thing. Please tell me they don't... Still have to buy another one for the drivers seat.

quincyfirefighter
07-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Diesel, You out there.

Yellow X9
07-17-2007, 10:57 AM
I also have the Fusions on my X-9......Something you may also want to do. Take the sticker plate off the grill covers, one of the speakers, I believe the outter speaker is a 2-way speaker which the sticker blocks some of the highs. I'll get u a pick later in the week of mine

quincyfirefighter
07-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Some pic's would be great. Thank's

Diesel
07-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Diesel, You out there.

Sorry out of town.

Fusion are 05 models?? Grabbed the chrome finish when it first came out.

On the volume issue. There should be a feature to disable the volume chirp in the set up menu on the head unit.

Diesel
07-23-2007, 02:31 PM
I also have the Fusions on my X-9......Something you may also want to do. Take the sticker plate off the grill covers, one of the speakers, I believe the outter speaker is a 2-way speaker which the sticker blocks some of the highs. I'll get u a pick later in the week of mine

Yep the 5.25 speaker is a 2-Way and the tweeter is right behind the logo emblem. Thanks for the tip.

Diesel
09-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Okay, I cannot seem to keep these things together. One of the repaired leads pulled right out of the voice coil last weekend and is beyond repair.

Stay tuned - winter project #3 is to replace both the 6.5 and 5.5 speakers in the Fusion cans with something a bit more durable from another brand.

Neither Diamond nor Fusion was much help. Fusion blamed Diamond but to their credit Fusion did offer to "sell" me replacement Diamonds at a "discounted" price. Still don't know why they would expect me to spend more $$ on a set of speakers I have had nothing but trouble with. :confused:

Fusion also said no other speakers will fit in their cans....................but we will see about that.:D

Diesel
05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Well to solve my problem, over the winter I have been working on replacing the M3 series Diamonds which come stock in the Fusion T-Series combos.

After looking at a few dimensions I found the Diamond HEX Series 6.5 woofers were dimensionally identical to the M3 series 6.5s. So they were direct fit replacement.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 11:41 AM
However the tweeters on the HEX series 6.5s were considerably larger. So to solve the problem I machined an AL spacer to replace the Fusion tweeter cover. This way I could use the surface mount tweeter housing from the Hex series.

Here is pic of the differences in size.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 11:42 AM
Here was the solution.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 11:46 AM
The 5.25 speaker gave me a little more trouble. Diamond did not have a series which were dimensionally identical to the coaxial 5.25 M3 series speakers. However the D6 series 5.25 component set was very close. So I bought a set and decided to make them work.

Since the mounding diameter of the D6 was just a bit larger I had to trim a bit off the woofer itself.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 11:48 AM
A bit had to shaved off the speaker cans in one spot to clear the terminal housing on the woofer.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Since the D6 series was a component set and the M3 series which came in the can was a coaxial set I had to figure out a way to mount an external tweeter.

It turns out the factory Fusion tweeter housing for the 6.5s is modular and simply bolted on the can. The 5.5 can has a flat spot already machined for the tweeter housing so it looked as easy as just buying a couple of tweeter housing from Fusion and replicating my tweeter solution on the 6.5s.

It would have been a great solution and would have looked killer if Fusion would have returned one of my many messages or answered any one of my multiple emails. Very poor customer care in my opinion and left a bad taste in my mouth. Note to everyone - BUY WETSOUNDS........alas I digress.

So since my original plan was in the tank I decide to surface mount the new tweeters in the 5.25 grills themselves.

Here is a pic.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Since both sets of speakers were component separates I had to figure out how to stuff two very large crossovers in each cans.

Here is pic of the original M3 series crossover next to the Hex.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
After removing the cast housing from the Hex series crossover and trimming just a bit off the circuit board I was able to reuse the factory mounting bracket in the 6.5 can.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Being much smaller the 5.25 can was a little more difficult. I wound up machining a few tabs to mount the crossover diagonally in the can. Once the mounting tabs were perfect I adhered them to the inside of the can with PC7 epoxy.

Diesel
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Finally I rewired everything and put it all back together. I have yet to fire them up but I expect the difference will be considerable. The power handling for the set should be around 250 watts. I certainly hope the stand up to the abuse of the Kicker SX900.2......I guess if the don't I will have to pick up a three some.

All back together and ready for the tower.....

KnoxX2
05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Looks great!!!
Imust say that I have the T5's and I love them.......

alemond
05-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I own the 6.5 powered by a jl audio 300/4 v2. Sound Amazing!

I have a brand new set of the Fusion T series combos for sale in the Market Place if any one is interested. Price is 800 retail is close to 1200

H20BOY
05-14-2008, 11:51 PM
That conversion is quite impressive. I hope I do not have the same problems out of my Fusions.

SteveO
05-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Diesel,

You up for duplicating that work of art? My Fusions are TOAST and I really don't feel like coughing up the $950 for a set of Bullet Hollow points. What are you into the project for with the speaker costs?

Diesel
05-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Diesel,

You up for duplicating that work of art? My Fusions are TOAST and I really don't feel like coughing up the $950 for a set of Bullet Hollow points. What are you into the project for with the speaker costs?

I spent about $375 on the speakers from Ebay and probably another $25 or so on other misc. stuff. Really it was a pretty straight forward conversion.