PDA

View Full Version : help between two

ttu
07-12-2007, 09:48 AM
i think i have sold my current vdrive. i have deceided to finally step up and get a new x2. yeahhh.

the dealer has 2 in stock. the first one has the rtp engine and is loaded up beyond that. the second one has the mcx engine along with hydraulic steering.

i have driven the 310 and found that it was pretty quick.

there is currently a 3K difference between the two.

give me your input.

bigmac
07-12-2007, 10:26 AM
i think i have sold my current vdrive. i have deceided to finally step up and get a new x2. yeahhh.

the dealer has 2 in stock. the first one has the rtp engine and is loaded up beyond that. the second one has the mcx engine along with hydraulic steering.

i have driven the 310 and found that it was pretty quick.

there is currently a 3K difference between the two.

give me your input.MCX is a fantastic engine. For 3K that's definitely the way I'd go on a 3300 lb boat.

Roonie's
07-12-2007, 10:26 AM
I have the 2007 x2 with the 310 and I also drove both of them. With the new prop on the 310, OJ 14.25x14.5 XMP prop that now usually comes standard with the 07 there really is no difference between the two engines. If you look at charts they have relatively the same low end torque and mid range, but where the mcx pulls ahead is top speed. I didn't really care about top speed so I chose the 310. The MCX is a much prettier engine that is for sure. The RTP looks like it is an old carburated version (it is not), which I think they should update the looks of it a little myself. I found when I test drove both of them I could not tell the difference between the two. The extra 40 horsepower can be found in the top end. My two cents.

edit; one thing I forgot to mention is the MCX has the ETX/CAT catalatytic converter system for cleaner exhaust on it and the RTP may not (don't know for sure). I have yet to even smell any kind of exhaust from my 310. Also probably better resale with the MCX since it costs more.

RexDog1
07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
MCX has the speed on the top end like Roonie’s said…….
I also think the MCX is a better engine for the X2
I have a 2005 X2 with the MCX and my friend has a 2004 X10 with the 310
In it, and he likes to drive my boat because of the engine
$3000. Is a lot of money, but I would go with the MCX:twocents:

Roonie's
07-12-2007, 10:49 AM
MCX has the speed on the top end like Roonie’s said…….
I also think the MCX is a better engine for the X2
I have a 2005 X2 with the MCX and my friend has a 2004 X10 with the 310
In it, and he likes to drive my boat because of the engine
$3000. Is a lot of money, but I would go with the MCX:twocents:

Your friend probably has the old prop on it. The 310 is a different beast with the OJ XMP prop or so I have heard. Most of the 07 now come with the new prop. Also different hulls.

ttu
07-12-2007, 11:00 AM
thanks guys for the input. keep it coming.

my current boat has a 325hp and when loaded with ballast (1600lbs) you can tell the extra weight is in there.

i am currently running the wake prop.

RexDog1
07-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Your friend probably has the old prop on it. The 310 is a different beast with the OJ XMP prop or so I have heard. Most of the 07 now come with the new prop. Also different hulls.

Like you said, the bottom end is the same, it is the top end my top speed,
49 MPH and his is 43 MPH but his boat is 4” wider than the 2005 X2
Yes the 2006X2 has different hull, I think the pickle fork pushes more water
Than the V hull, so the extra 40 Hp would be nice to have:rolleyes:

And a NEW X2 for me........... would be nice to Have!!!!!!:D

Bruce
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
As always you get what you pay for and more is better!

Sodar
07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
MCX... Even if the performance is not a HUGE difference, the MCX looks purdy and will help with resale.

beatle78
07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
What else besides the engine justifies the $3k difference.

The engine upgrade sounds like a $1k-$1500 option to me.

How about Perfect Pass?

JKTX21
07-12-2007, 11:56 AM
What is the additional cost per month for financing $3K and being able to have the feeling every weekend that you have the best engine you could have in your machine!

Sodar
07-12-2007, 12:00 PM
What else besides the engine justifies the $3k difference.

The engine upgrade sounds like a $1k-$1500 option to me.

How about Perfect Pass?

MCX upgrade is $2560 I beleive

ttu
07-12-2007, 12:03 PM
the one with the mcx has the hydraulic steering, tower lights in the speaker cans.

other than that they both have pp, heater and so forth.

the one with the 310 has the new switch graphics.

X-Aggie
07-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Well as I remember along with the ETX/CAT, the MCX is Throttle by Wire. Which among other things I like, allows you to turn PP on and off on the fly. Good for me since I always forget to turn the damn thing off before heading home.

JKTX21
07-12-2007, 12:07 PM
MCX upgrade is $2560 I beleive

If financed for 5 years... that's only $12.30 extra per week! I think the choice has been made for you!

:D

Welcome X-Aggie... I am a former student as well!

endl
07-12-2007, 12:07 PM
"hydraulic steering" Is that a SWS. What is the cost of they Hyraulic Steering?

Roonie's
07-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Well as I remember along with the ETX/CAT, the MCX is Throttle by Wire.

Not sure what the throttle by wire is? I know they both have the standard digital throttle control.

Also if you really want the horsepower get the LY6 400 horses.

ttu
07-12-2007, 12:09 PM
i am unsure as to why he added the hydraulic steering when he ordered it but it is not a sws boat.

a friend of mine who get's a new one every year put it on his 07 and really likes it.

endl
07-12-2007, 12:13 PM
what is the cost upgrade on that do you remember?

Harvey
07-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I can't remember if there is a torque difference between the two motors. I had a 01 Xstar with the 310 and now have an 06 with the MCX. I can tell you that if you load your boat up with ballast you will notice a difference. With almost 2K of ballast in both boats (identical hulls) the MCX will get up on plane faster and easier than the 310.

X-Aggie
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the Welcome JKT.

Roonie, MC Cruise and TBW are two separate items. I'm almost positive that the RTP still uses a cable/servo mechanism. Meaning a physical cable between the Throttle and Servo (for the MC Cruise or PP). The MCX and up engines, use varying voltage to determine throttle position and relays this electronically to the mechanism that actuates the Throttle Body. Thus no physical cable movement.

By all means if the RTP has it I stand corrected. Cheers

Roonie's
07-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the Welcome JKT.

Roonie, MC Cruise and TBW are two separate items. I'm almost positive that the RTP still uses a cable/servo mechanism. Meaning a physical cable between the Throttle and Servo (for the MC Cruise or PP). The MCX and up engines, use varying voltage to determine throttle position and relays this electronically to the mechanism that actuates the Throttle Body. Thus no physical cable movement.

By all means if the RTP has it I stand corrected. Cheers

All MC engines have it for 07. All are digital no more cable.

bigmac
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Props aren't magic. They don't make up for a difference of 40 HP between two boats that weigh the same. My boat goes 49 mph and it will pull the rope out of the hands of a slalom skier on startup. You can prop an X2 with an RTP so that it will go 49 mph, but it's gonna drag a normal size adult across the lake before they get up. Likewise you can prop the X2 to pull like a mother, but forget barefooting. It won't go that fast.

Your car's transmission is designed to keep the engine at it's optimal torque range. Props are our transmissions, but they're only one speed until someone comes up with a workable variable pitched prop. Because they're only one pitch (and because our transmissions are only one gear ratio) we have to choose between a low gear range or a high gear range. The more torque you have to deal with, the less critical that's going to be. There is absolutely no way that an X2 with a 310 HP engine is going to match performance across the board with a 350 HP MCX in the same boat. A propeller can help, but you gotta choose pulling or speed. If you can hack the compromise one vs the other, then the RTP may work for you. FWIW, I've heard a lot of people complain that their boat is underpowered for what they want to do with it. I've never heard anyone complain that their boat had too much power.

Prostar in Michigain
07-12-2007, 01:08 PM
go with the MCX

jraben8
07-12-2007, 01:38 PM
If you can hack the compromise one vs the other, then the RTP may work for you. FWIW, I've heard a lot of people complain that their boat is underpowered for what they want to do with it. I've never heard anyone complain that their boat had too much power.

Amen......

Roonie's
07-12-2007, 01:46 PM
edit; one thing I forgot to mention is the MCX has the ETX/CAT catalatytic converter system for cleaner exhaust on it and the RTP may not (don't know for sure). I have yet to even smell any kind of exhaust from my 310.

To follow up on this I pulled this from Indmar's web site.

All 2007 model Indmar 5.7L Premium EFI V-8 engines feature ETX/CAT as standard equipment.

also this;

Horsepower and torque curves are not published because they are considered confidential company information. Fuel consumption data is not published because it is affected by factors beyond our control, such as boat hull type, temperature, humidity, altitude, gear ratios, propeller, etc. In some cases, fuel consumption or other performance data is available from your boat manufacturer for a specific boat/engine combination. You may also find this type of information in boating magazines that run tests on the types of boats you are interested in.

Anyone have a link to any of the magazines that ran these tests?

JDK
07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
If financed for 5 years... that's only $12.30 extra per week! I think the choice has been made for you!

A true salesman. That would be $2560 + $738 = $3290 for the engine option over the 5 years.
I'd still go with the big engine.

rspiecha
07-12-2007, 03:26 PM
ETX is the extreme tuned exhaust (kind of like headers)
CAT is catalytic converters on the exhaust.

The Indmar site does say this for the RTP:

Electronics are a key ingredient in any MPFI inboard system. The RTP-1 offers MasterCraft Cruise© (MasterCraft's privately labeled version of Indmar's ETC-electronic throttle and cruise-system). The Indmar developed system allows the helm throttle control to electronically connect to the engine's ECM. Throttle response is quick and smooth. The Electronic Throttle Control with Cruise feature is a bonus to recreational water-ski and wakeboard families.

Rob

rspiecha
07-12-2007, 03:27 PM
I would still go for the cool looking red intake of the MCX.

Rob

Roonie's
07-12-2007, 04:53 PM
After looking at the specs of both engines on paper they look identical. Same displacement, bore & stroke, compression, exhaust system, fuel system, throttle control, etc. I am guessing they are getting the extra horsepower with more air flow as it seems to be the exact engine with different plenum and valve covers as far as I can tell. If that is the case then same torque on the low end.

www.indmar.com

bigmac
07-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Absolutely. But more air flow is a HUGE part of performance, hence the reason for superchargers.

An internal combustion engine is nothing more than an air pump. The more air you pump, the more fuel you can pump. The more fuel you pump, the more forceful the cylinder explosion. The more forceful the cylinder explosion, the more power the engine develops. The design of the plenum, the Vortec heads, the lower-restriction exhaust, the Air/Fuel ratio programmed into the EFI means that the MCX is a substantially more effective air pump than the RTP. About 40 hp more effective, and that increased power is going to manifest itself in higher torque across the RPM range. Increased breathing of an engine, whether it be addition of low restriction exhaust, more efficient heads, or a supercharger, is done primarily to increase low end pull, as Big Daddy Garlitz taught us so many years ago.

The concept that just because an RTP uses the same block as an MCX means that they're the same engine just isn't sustainable.

Archimedes
07-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I drove them both when I bought my X-1 and couldn't tell the difference. Funny thing, my old 94 190 with 285hp felt more powerful than either of them.

I went with the RTP simply because I don't need anything more than that motor for the type of family boating we do and I figured it might burn slightly less gas.

JKTX21
07-16-2007, 06:25 PM
A true salesman. That would be $2560 + $738 = $3290 for the engine option over the 5 years.
I'd still go with the big engine.

It's in my blood, I can't help it!

Willytown
07-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Any interest in a loaded 06? I can work with you a little bit on price.

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1516&cat=6

duckguy
07-16-2007, 08:19 PM
My new 07 has the MCX and PP my 06 had RTP and MC Cruise. MCX is noticable and worth the $2350 upgrade. MC Cruise is great for Wallys but there is no, I mean none, 0 comnparison between the two. I would go MCX hands down.

Chief
07-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Any interest in a loaded 06? I can work with you a little bit on price.

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1516&cat=6

Where were you last year? TTU you should talk to Willy.

JohnE
07-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I pondered the decision with my used 197. In the end I decided I wouldn't but anything unless it had the MCX and the powerslot. You don't "need" either, but I would choose them.

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-17-2007, 04:34 AM
IMO the RTP is more than enough for a 20' 3300lb boat. The X2 is very light and doesn't need much power, besides 40 horses doesn't sound like that much. As someone stated earlier, that money could be used for some other great upgrades. You also said that in the MCX it comes with the tower lights in the tower speakers. I personally don't like that style at all because you can't direct the lights. An after market light system in which you can direct out into the flats, behind the boat or even into the boat for partying at night would be better. Back to the engine, its nice to be able to say you have the best in your boat, but damn you just dropped 65K on a very nice mastercraft. I doubt anyone is gonna say, "oh, you only got the RTP."

hester
07-17-2007, 06:51 AM
I've heard a lot of people complain that their boat is underpowered for what they want to do with it. I've never heard anyone complain that their boat had too much power.

In saltwater sm magazine I read an article that said the #1 regret of new boat owners is not going with a larger motor.

If you are worried now then the $3k is a small percentage of the overall purchase price to give you piece of mind, little extra perf, resale appeal, etc.

Jet
07-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Would go with MCX. 3K over the life of a boat is not much, plus resale value is higher.

bigmac
07-17-2007, 08:04 AM
IMO the RTP is more than enough for a 20' 3300lb boat. The X2 is very light and doesn't need much power, besides 40 horses doesn't sound like that much.

I have a 3300 lb boat too, and I don't think that even the MCX is "more than enough".

I think that a 40 HP difference sounds like a lot. I wouldn't want to give up any of it.

ttu
07-17-2007, 08:08 AM
well the one with the mcx is sold so now i have to make a decision on taking the one with the 310.

took my son and daughter up last sunday for another demo ride, and of course my son brought his board.

he loved the wake.

help????

Roonie's
07-17-2007, 09:12 AM
whatever you decide it is a nice boat. If you really don't want the 310 then wait until the 08's show up as they will be coming very soon. I am sure you can get a deal on an 07 right now.

As I mentioned before we are very happy with our 310 and wouldn't want the upgrade as it is plenty of power for us. WOT we get 47 mph.

ttu
07-17-2007, 09:49 AM
roonie, thanks for the info. from what the dealer told me it is another 6% price increase for 08 plus getting this one for a pretty good price.

i will try to attach a pic that the dealer has.

dpolen
07-17-2007, 12:31 PM
WOW...that's a beautiful X2...I really like the color scheme.

captain planet
07-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I think I might have an angle missed by all of you so far....

$3000 / 180 months = $16.67 per month = MCX all the way!!! 8p

JKTX21
07-17-2007, 02:12 PM
I think I might have an angle missed by all of you so far....

$3000 / 180 months = $16.67 per month = MCX all the way!!! 8p

I broke his payments down back on post #15! Now all a "true salesman" would have to say is:

"Is $17 extra per month the only reason you won't buy this boat for your family today?"

beatle78
07-17-2007, 02:41 PM
Buy it or talk to WILLY.... I want an X-2 soooooo bad, but I'm just being greedy. My 2001 205V has all the wake we need and the seating is plentiful.

Guess, I better get that addition on the house soon, so I can be greedy hahahaha

ttu
07-17-2007, 06:59 PM
what, nobody but 1 person likes the looks......

hopefully picking it up saturday

Roonie's
07-17-2007, 07:02 PM
It looks awesome. The orange is a cool color and the black is a great combo. Congrats and you will be pleased with the boat. After owning the X2 there is no other boat I would rather have (regardless of cost) unless they made one that flies.

TheOneandOnly
07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
for the MCX upgrade here in the midwest its only 1800.00, very cheap for that extra over the years

dougl
07-17-2007, 08:09 PM
How's the ski wake behind the X2? Skied behind a Sanger v-drive this week and didn't find it fun at all, had a nice wake for wakeboarding though. I did like the room/storage in the v-drive. I really like the looks/layout of the X2, but still want something I can ski behind, not that I can talk the boss into a new boat (at least not this year).

Roonie's
07-17-2007, 08:19 PM
ski wake is fine for the recreational skier. If your into more serious skiing look elsewhere like the x14. I have heard the x2 gets a better wake if you install the trim tab which levels out the front and the wake a little more. I find the wake just fine for me and my skiing.

dougl
07-17-2007, 08:36 PM
not serious by any means, just don't like to get more air skiing than wakeboarding.

rick s.
07-18-2007, 12:47 PM
go for the mcx.

Willytown
07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
if you are at all interested in my 06 give me a call. I can give you a pretty nice price. I would like to get it sold.

859 640 5733

Jerseydave
07-18-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm on my 2nd boat with the MCX ('03 230VRS and now '05 X-star)

I LOVE THIS ENGINE!!!

And..............I really like the new switch graphics on that orange machine! (makes me wanna drive to Hooters for some wings) :)

Seriously, try the boat in the water with full ballast and 6-8 people. If you're satisfied, then buy it. It will def. need a prop change for that much weight though.

Hey, after the waranty is up, you could change-out the camshaft for some more HP. :)

Doug G
07-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Not even a choice. I would put the MCX as the minimum and consider if an upgrade is justified / needed from there unless all you are going to do is cruising. Everything Bigmac said is on the money.

ttu
07-19-2007, 09:43 AM
the boat with the mcx is not avail.

the orange one has the wake prop on it. i have loaded the ballast and had 4 people and was very impressed with the 310. i was very suprised in comparison to my indmar 325.

meeting the new owner of my 05 boat this afternoon.

hopefully pick up the new one on saturday.

Jerseydave
07-19-2007, 07:16 PM
ttu,

I say if it's the boat you like and you're satisfied with the performance, then go for it!

Best of luck with your new purchase. Not sure where you're located, but I'd love to trade you pulls with my X-star if you're anywhere near NJ/PA/MD, etc.

Hey, who knows maybe next May I'll come down to Carolina Spring madness and see you there! :)

TI Skiier
07-19-2007, 10:09 PM
I've got the MCX in my X7. Great motor - plus a true work of art!

Footin
07-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Buy which evrer boat you like better, I don't think you will notice a ton of difference between the motors.

ttu
07-20-2007, 12:29 AM
well my 05 is gone. kind of sad to see her go. she had 200 hrs on her and she ran like a top (with the exception to the fuel filter this last week). hope new owner takes care of her.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

everything is done and picking up the new x2 on saturday. try to get a few pics.

thanks to all who helped...

got a great deal on the new one thanks to dick lane's mastercraft at grand lake.

Sy Maokhamphiou
07-20-2007, 05:51 AM
I've had 12 adults in the boat with stock ballasts filled while pulling a rider. Doesn't shoot out of the hole like a rocket but the RTP will get the job done. Congrats, great looking boat.

sand2snow22
07-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Didn't we conclude on another thread the MCX is rated at 350 hp, but actually has more? Didn't they forget to add the 3% and 5% increase in torque and hp when the new exhaust manifolds came out?