PDA

View Full Version : Jaws of Life

dmayer84
07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
We just got out new Jaws of Life and other new rescue tools and compared to our old ones, they cut through the cars like a hot knife through butter. Our old tools, which were the original ones were about 18 years old but they got the job done. We have been doing fund raising for the past 6 months to get these and after the first life they save they will be well worth all of the effort to get them.

All 3 cars that we had to cut up were nothing in a matter of an hour. Nothing but the engine and chassis were left.

I will try to get some of the pics that were taken but not sure if I can get them.

betsy&david Harrison
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
This is great news! I wish they weren't necessary but the reality of it is... well pretty grim. Thank-you for all you do and the training it takes. Firemen and anyother resque workers are amazing individuals in my eyes.

Tourney Team 197
07-11-2007, 11:09 PM
That sounds like a fun tool to use. Never seen one in use and I hope I never have to!

quincyfirefighter
07-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Great news. Just watch out for the B post curtain air bag canisters when cutting off the roof in the newer cars. Saw what can happen during a training class :eek3:

dmayer84
07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Great news. Just watch out for the B post curtain air bag canisters when cutting off the roof in the newer cars. Saw what can happen during a training class :eek3:

We have been well warned. Been told the best way is to rip off the molding from the inside so that you can see where it is.

quincyfirefighter
07-11-2007, 11:38 PM
We have been well warned. Been told the best way is to rip off the molding from the inside so that you can see where it is.
Awesome ;)

betsy&david Harrison
07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Stuff most of us never even consider

quincyfirefighter
07-11-2007, 11:52 PM
sorry Bets. Most newer four door cars are coming out with side air curtain air bag systems. They work off of a explosive charge just like the air bags in your steering wheel that is in a pack that sits in the post between the front door and back door which we call the B post. If it has not deploy during a crash, well cutting though it can be bad.

betsy&david Harrison
07-12-2007, 12:02 AM
It all comes down to training and experience. I dread the thought of one of those blowing up in my face let alone hitting me in the side of the face. Better that then another vehicle or metal parts though. I was involved in a really bad Tbone accident when I was about 22. Good thing we were in my Mom's tank of a Benz. The guy hit us going about 60 and totalled the car.

Doug G
07-12-2007, 12:06 AM

Good to hear. Don't skip that in the heat of the moment with any current generation car. They will bite you the first time you skip it. You gotta look before you cut!

Congrats on the tools. Remember they are only as good as the guy holding it, keep up the training!

quincyfirefighter
07-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Can't beat those good old class cars.

betsy&david Harrison
07-12-2007, 12:09 AM
All four of us are here today because of that car. The two front seats were smashed together pushing the center console up and out of the way.

Doug G
07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Amen...........

betsy&david Harrison
07-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Chalk it up to the Firemen and ER services. We were pretty beat up. Busted bones, pneumothorax,whip lash, sciatica...SHOCK! I never knew how bad shock was until then. I shook for three days and I was the least injured.

Hoosier Bob
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Inventor? George Hurst. Hurst Shifter guy! He and my dad partnered up for awhile. Great inventor and overall great guy but business side? Hurst Olds and a ton of cool things to remember him by but by the time he died most was sold for IMO less than the potential.

tex
07-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Jaws of life, Inga has those!

Doug G
07-12-2007, 11:33 PM
HB That must have been an interesting man to know..

Tex that's just TMI brother :D but congrats anyway

tex
07-12-2007, 11:41 PM
HB That must have been an interesting man to know..

Tex that's just TMI brother :D but congrats anyway
You don't know Inga...She mixes a mean martini and backs a mean trailer!

TMCNo1
07-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Everytime I read this thread heading, it reminds me of a young lady I once knew!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Hoosier Bob
07-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Was her name Inga? Sorry Tex!:D

TMCNo1
07-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Was her name Inga? Sorry Tex!:D

No, her nickname was "Smiley"!

Hoosier Bob
07-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Tex is gonna be pissed!:( No, her nickname was "Smiley"!

tex
07-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Inga rarely smiles!

quincyfirefighter
07-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Inventor? George Hurst. Hurst Shifter guy! He and my dad partnered up for awhile. Great inventor and overall great guy but business side? Hurst Olds and a ton of cool things to remember him by but by the time he died most was sold for IMO less than the potential. COOL. HB what did your dad do for a living

quincyfirefighter
07-13-2007, 09:44 AM
Everytime I read this thread heading, it reminds me of a young lady I once knew!:eek: :rolleyes: :D
Is that a good thing or bad thing :rolleyes:

Monte
07-13-2007, 09:47 AM
We just got out new Jaws of Life and other new rescue tools and compared to our old ones, they cut through the cars like a hot knife through butter. Our old tools, which were the original ones were about 18 years old but they got the job done. We have been doing fund raising for the past 6 months to get these and after the first life they save they will be well worth all of the effort to get them.

All 3 cars that we had to cut up were nothing in a matter of an hour. Nothing but the engine and chassis were left.

I will try to get some of the pics that were taken but not sure if I can get them.

I pass the plant every morning on the way to work.. Thanks for all you do QFF:cool:

quincyfirefighter
07-13-2007, 09:50 AM
No problem. Call me crazy but it's not a job but a love.

dmayer84
07-13-2007, 09:55 AM
We actually had bids from a few other manufacturers other than Hurst, and lets just say that those tools did not do the job when we tried them. We waitied for the bids to expire and then raised the money to purchase the tools we wanted.

BrianM
07-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Will the new Jaws cut through the B pillar of a Subaru? From what I read it is nearly impossible to do on the newer Subies do to the 8 layer construction of the pillar. The pic below is a cross section.

ski_king
07-13-2007, 05:17 PM

I used the hurst tools many times when I belonged to the fire department 20 some years ago.
There was a accident last week right at the end of my road and they had to cut the car apart. I was suprised to see they are still using the same equipment they had 20 years ago and it is working fine. They told me new equipment is on the way, I guess they now have higher pressure and faster equipment than before.

dmayer84
07-13-2007, 05:19 PM
I used the hurst tools many times when I belonged to the fire department 20 some years ago.
There was a accident last week right at the end of my road and they had to cut the car apart. I was suprised to see they are still using the same equipment they had 20 years ago and it is working fine. They told me new equipment is on the way, I guess they now have higher pressure and faster equipment than before.

The pressure is not higher, we didnt have to change out the pump on the truck, the tools have just been redesigned. Our old tools where were in use up untill Wednesday were about the same age.