PDA

View Full Version : 79 S&S idle problems

Taskmaster
07-11-2007, 09:49 PM
New owner of 79 S&S (grey and black). Boat has not been used in about three years. Replaced points, coil, and battery and after finding a loose ignition wire the boat started right up.

Problem is it is idling at about 3k. After adjusting the carb some we got it down to 2500. I assume the boat should idle around 500?

Price on the Holley 4160 is high so not sure if I am missing something easy to check or should I replace carb? Is a 25+ year carb worth rebuilding?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Also what RPM should the boat idle at?

cbryan70
07-11-2007, 10:02 PM
I had my carb rebuilt on my 78. As long as the person rebuilding it knows what they are doing i dont see a problem. If you tried adjusting the carb and its still idling that high im guessing it has to be somewhere other then the carb but that is definatly just a guess. Someone on here should def beable to help you out tho

Willski
07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
All of the main parts of the carb should be okay. I suggest rebuilding. You might try unhooking the throttle cable from the carb. Maybe that is causing your idle issue?

Slinkyredfoot
07-11-2007, 10:20 PM
New owner of 79 S&S (grey and black). Boat has not been used in about three years. Replaced points, coil, and battery and after finding a loose ignition wire the boat started right up.

Problem is it is idling at about 3k. After adjusting the carb some we got it down to 2500. I assume the boat should idle around 500?

Price on the Holley 4160 is high so not sure if I am missing something easy to check or should I replace carb? Is a 25+ year carb worth rebuilding?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Also what RPM should the boat idle at?

My 79 351PC purrs like a kitten at about 500 to 700rpms, do not replace the carb, have a good engine or carb man reset float level of the carb, clean and re adust, or if you feel so inclined do it yourself...like you said the boat has not been used in 3 years, I am guessing here.. but tend to your origianal carb and you will be happy. The small ports and everything else could be varnished and gummed.

I have always found a good engine man is worth his weight in gold in trying to keep your boat original. Just a suggestion here, at some point consider repacing the points and condensor with the solid state system..inexpensive and worth it...