PDA

View Full Version : Boat Died, Need ideas???

Maristar210
07-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey guys I was out towing in a Sea Doo that grenaded tonight and after towing it slowly, out of the blue, the boat motor dies. I was shocked. I put the boat in neutral and cranked it over with no luck. I waited a second or five and tried again and she fired. It ran well with no other issues the rest of the night.

I know its a crap shoot but I thought you guys might have some ideas of what to check?

175 hours on a RTP 315hp

bigmac
07-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey guys I was out towing in a Sea Doo that grenaded tonight and after towing it slowly, out of the blue, the boat motor dies. I was shocked. I put the boat in neutral and cranked it over with no luck. I waited a second or five and tried again and she fired. It ran well with no other issues the rest of the night.

I know its a crap shoot but I thought you guys might have some ideas of what to check?

175 hours on a RTP 315hpWhat kind of boat is it, Maristar210?

Oh, wait...never mind.

Did it die like a neutral switch got bumped, or did it kind of wind down like fuel starvation?

RexDog1
07-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Did the motor die like it was running out of gas? or like you turned the key off?:confused:

Maristar210
07-11-2007, 09:59 PM
What kind of boat is it, Maristar210?

Oh, wait...never mind.

Did it die like a neutral switch got bumped, or did it kind of wind down like fuel starvation?

Like an ignition cut right out. Very quick not like a slow stall....

I was standing in the center of the boat with one hand on the wheel when it died, no where near the laynard but it died like someone pulled it off.

Thanks in advance....

Steve

bigmac
07-11-2007, 10:08 PM
My first thought would be something in the ignition circuit, like a loose wire or bad ground. I'd start by climbing under the dash and making sure all the wires on the ignition switch are screwed down tight and none might be shorting out. Also, no loose wires on the lanyard cut-off. Then I'd go back to the engine and check the wires on the main engine electrical panel (whatever that is, and wherever it's located). Then, I'd tighten the battery terminals. Then, I'd just use the boat, but I wouldn't go out without a cell phone and a paddle.

I had that problem intermittently on our simple ol' Boston Whaler with a 35 horse Johnson. Took me forever to find it - turned out to be a broken wire in the middle of the electrical harness that runs from the console to the motor. I think somebody dropped a 6 gallon fuel tank on it but there were no visible marks on the harness loom. Doncha just love boats?

TMCNo1
07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Maybe it had a momentary upchuck knowing it was tugging a PWC!

Maristar210
07-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Will do BigMac thank you.

TMC - This guy is someone I kind of know from seeing him around. He works for a shop that sells the damn things. It was one of those supercharged ones that scream. He said it went BOOM and would not turn over afterwards. One less on the water:D

TMCNo1
07-11-2007, 10:21 PM
I have been thinking of converting them one at a time to turbine or rocket power and attempting to reach the moon with them. Would it work? After all, it would all be done in the name of Science. You know, like Benjamin Franklin, the guy who has all those craft stores, that caught lightening in that 2 liter Coke bottle on a kite string in a hurricane!

Prostar in Michigain
07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Happend to us just last weekend and we still cant figure out what happend so when u get an answer im just going to assume that is what our problem was to

Leroy
07-11-2007, 11:27 PM
It's running again, be happy!

I can't think about what could have been situations!

Chief
07-11-2007, 11:39 PM
I hate those jet ski's

SDAhockey21
07-12-2007, 01:16 AM
I hate those jet ski's

water nats!! They love wakesurf wakes..................

Doug G
07-12-2007, 01:26 AM
There should be a season on them ...

(Sorry steve don't have a clue on that one so might as well enjoy the threadjack, good to see that #1 is learning from UMP!)