PDA

View Full Version : Can teak be filled?

ZenMC
07-11-2007, 04:28 PM
My ten year old and I were pressure washing our teak swim platform. Despite admonitions about getting too close with the nozzle, he managed to put about an 8 inch groove in one of the narrow slats.

I was a bit peeved at first, but he felt pretty bad, so I let him continue and he did a pretty good job after that. I don't want to discourage him because he's so enthusiastic, so we just chalked it up to learning...like the time I seized the engine on our lawnmower from oil starvation. (My first engine rebuild. :rolleyes: )

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone ever tried the stainable wood filler on their platform, and if so have they found it in teak? I figured the stainable stuff would be better at absorbing teak oil.

Before I go through the expense and effort to make a new slat I thought this might be a workable if imperfect option.

Any other repair ideas are welcome as well.

Thanks

wesgardner
07-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Famo-wood in TEAK flavor or epoxy w/ teak dust might work....

Kevin 89MC
07-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I recenty got a chunk taken out of my teak platform (stupid mistake regarding an anchor), and the experts at the local woodworking shop suggested making a paste of teak sawdust and exterior wood glue. Over-fill the hole, sand until smooth, and seal as usual. When I get around to doing mine, I'll post pictures and whether or not it works.
Good luck,
Kevin

Doug G
07-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Harold a new sideline for you! you can save all that sawdust and resell it! Start sanding man, that teak is feeling negleted anyway! (You have to be about due for a teak booster to stave off the withdrawls)

east tx skier
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
I've filled mine with some teak plugs and a bit of epoxy when I had to reset the screws. But that doesn't sound a good fix for your problem.

ZenMC
07-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I've filled mine with some teak plugs and a bit of epoxy when I had to reset the screws. But that doesn't sound a good fix for your problem.

It may be actually. I've considered just turning that slat over, rounding off the edges to match the others, and plugging the screw holes with teak plugs. Anybody see any reason why that would not work?

TMCNo1
07-12-2007, 07:53 PM
How deep is the groove? Is it cut away or what, can you post some pictures?

tex
07-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Wow, another Teak thread! Sorry Zen...I had too...good luck!

ZenMC
07-13-2007, 02:33 AM
How deep is the groove? Is it cut away or what, can you post some pictures?

It's about 1/4 inch wide X 1/4 inch deep and about eight inches long.

I'll try to post a photo, but first I'm going to have to read the FAQ. I am a newb after all.

It could probably be camo'd a bit with some sanding...just trying to decide the best course of action before I make it worse.

ZenMC
07-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Wow, another Teak thread! Sorry Zen...I had too...good luck!

Yeah, I know....I debated but desperation won out!

TMCNo1
07-13-2007, 07:22 AM
There was always a chance if it wasn't too deep, like 1/8", you could run it thru a wood plane and just remove a minor bit of wood and all would be good, but that's too deep.

east tx skier
07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
It may be actually. I've considered just turning that slat over, rounding off the edges to match the others, and plugging the screw holes with teak plugs. Anybody see any reason why that would not work?

I can tell you that plugging the holes is nearly seamless.

1. Drill them out a bit.
2. Fill with mineral spirits to remove excess oil.
3. Get excess mineral spirits out with a q-tip.
4. Put some epoxy in the hole and coat the outside circumference of the plug with epoxy.
5. Pound into hole with rubber mallet.
6. Let set for about 24 hours.
7. Sand.
8. Apply teak oil per your typical method.

I found the teak plugs online with google. Don't remember who I used, but I think I went with 3/8" plugs.

ZenMC
07-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Googled and found teak plugs for approx $4 per bag of ten in various sizes at West Marine. Great idea!

Also found Famowood teak filler online as per wesgardner's suggestion for about $4 as well.

I think I'll try to find the Famowood locally at one of the woodworking specialty places first. If that is unsat I'll flip the thing over and use the plugs as that sounds like a pretty asthetically pleasing fix.

Stand by Tex, I'm starting a "how do I make my boat shine" thread next!

Thanks Guys!

tex
07-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Googled and found teak plugs for approx $4 per bag of ten in various sizes at West Marine. Great idea!

Also found Famowood teak filler online as per wesgardner's suggestion for about $4 as well.

I think I'll try to find the Famowood locally at one of the woodworking specialty places first. If that is unsat I'll flip the thing over and use the plugs as that sounds like a pretty asthetically pleasing fix.

Stand by Tex, I'm starting a "how do I make my boat shine" thread next!

Thanks Guys!
I'm starting a do you wear a spray leg poll thread! Hope you teak works out!