PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump filter replacement 2004 MCX

jrbrown
07-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I created a problem for myself recently and thanks to all of the very informative posts on this website, it was an easy, but avoidable fix.

Problem: After driving the boat up onto the trailer, we returned home for its engine flush and cleaning. The engine started fine but was running very rough and then would die. I repeated this cycle 3-4 times. What had I done? I had the boat on my drive way and the nose of the boat was pointing downhill slightly AND there was about 1 gallon of gas left....I was starving the fuel pump....which is VERY bad. When I visited with my dealer, whom I trust, she said "that is not good". 'nuff said for me.
:uglyhamme
I operate in a very large expanse of water and can't afford to have the fuel pump fail (which I had set it up for a premature failure by running it dry like I did).

Replacement of fuel pump assembly or fuel filter. This is an easy job. Lots of great advice, again, from this website. Absolutely get the fuel line release tool from Advance Auto Parts. Diagram on the back of the card and is very easy understand.

Stuff needed:
set of small standard sockets and a socket wrench
inch-pound torque wrench
small screw driver
1 zip tie
new gasket
fuel filter or fuel pump assembly (numbers are on top of the fuel pump)
Fuel line disconnect for Ford (E-3/8", F=5/16") Advnace Auto T70045 $6
Catch pan
rags
nytril gloves

- Disconnect the battery
- Access the engine bay and fuel pump area
- At the engine find the schrader valve on the fuel rail, unscrew cap, place rag under it and on top and depress the tip of the valve gently with a small screw driver. Reinstall cap
- At the fuel tank, cut the zip tie holding the 3 wire looms and connectors
- Disconnect the three electrical connections
- Unscrew the overfill hose and slide off
- Using release tool and a rag to catch a slight spillage, release the fuel line
- Unscrew the many bolts around the fuel pump assembly. If the head of the assembly is in the way of one of the bolts you will find that it easily rotate out of the way.
- Slide entire assembly up and out. Have a catch pan to set it in. Fuel will leak out so have that catch pan ready
- Good time to inspect the inside of the tank for stuff (marbles, dead bugs, gum.....mine was clean)
- Install new fuel pump assembly (I had to remove a small cap on a small line so that the new assembly looked like the old assembly. You will note that the lower half of the assembly slides up and down. That's the design.
- or, replace the fuel filter
- I recommend a new gasket when working with fuel systems
- Reverse the install
- Add fuel
- Reconnect the battery
- Start
- Smile :D

Again, without this great forum, I'd been working way to hard to solve this problem.

Cheers All

bigmac
07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Great step-by-step. Thank you.

How much was the fuel pump? There are three of four MC/MCX boats around here and between us, it might save someone's vacation if we had one sitting around.

jrbrown
07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
I saw a range of prices from $370 to $430. It's a module vice strictly the pump. I plan to tear down what I removed to see what the pump mates up to in other applications. If Ican figure it out, I'll post that info.

BuoyChaser
07-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Replacement of fuel pump assembly or fuel filter. This is an easy job. Lots of great advice, again, from this website. Absolutely get the fuel line release tool from Advance Auto Parts. Diagram on the back of the card and is very easy understand.

Great step-by-step from start to finish, combine that with the pics and you're golden http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24750