PDA

View Full Version : Help reassembling Throttle/Shifter on 84S&S

woodskier
07-11-2007, 01:17 PM
First, Thanks to all who I have gotten such great info from ( mostly from old posts) in restoring my 84 S&S. I am picking it up from the craftsman who did the interior upholstery tonight. ( 2 months) I will post before and after pictures as soon as I finish the exterior. He did an incredible job.

Here is the problem. The Throttle/shifter was taken apart to have the cover chromed along with the ski pylon. ( Don't ask, I spent way to much) In doing so, the whole assembly was taken apart, and my fear is we will not remember how to get it back together.

Any schematics, diagrams, or help would be appreciated as always. Timing is critical, since my wife has planned a blowout on the lake this saturday, giving me two nights to get it on the water.

Monte
07-11-2007, 02:07 PM
I will be of no help, but you have dropped to the bottom of the page.. So..

BUMP

wesgardner
07-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Dunno if Morse controls has an install manual online...might show an exploded view that might help...

woodskier
07-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks I will check. Is the web address morsecontrols.com?

M-Funf
07-11-2007, 04:14 PM
www.teleflexmorse.com ???

Slinkyredfoot
07-11-2007, 05:38 PM
This for me was a painstaking project when I did it last winter to my 79..I have no exploded view, but after trial and error, I did it and probably could really help you with this, provided they are the same and I am pretty sure they are. If you wanted to pm me with a number I could call and talk you thru it. Incidently my rebuld has worked perfectly all summer. You would not believe the condition of the grease inside after 26 years.

woodskier
07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks. I have sent you a PM. I have also located what looks like the instruction/install manual for the Morse MV-2 control and Neutral saftey switch. www.telfexmarine.com Fortunatly, The cables are still connected to the Shift Arm and Throttle arm, and at the engine side, so I should not have to adjust the cables. I just need to make sure I get the correct Arm connected to the right spot, the neutral switch wired correctly etc.

wesgardner
07-13-2007, 09:16 AM
Yep, the MV-2 is what's usually used...I had something that looked like an outdrive control w/ a T-handle, the thing had been so badly abused it could not be rebuilt as alotta the adjustments were bent/stretched beyond recognition.

Installing the MV-2 went smoothly for me - once installed, the adjustments are fairly precise - i.e. it doesn't take alotta turns to get the thing to operate within spec...

Good luck - I looked last night thinking I still had my install guide but I must have chucked it...

woodskier
07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
After assembling the throttle assembly 5-6 times, I thought I had it right, but there was no neutral position, and I had a spring left over. Thanks to a few calls with SlinkyRedFoot late at night, I realized I was missing the ball which fits in the opposite side of the gear on the throttle lever, and is compressed by the spring.

With the blow out on the lake the next morning, I was up all night trying to figure out where I was going to get this part, early saturday morning. At 6:30 AM I was on the boat, taking the assembly apart again, inserting the spring. Slinky said to clean things up real good, so as I was cleaning grease out of the gear box, low and behold there is the ball, buried in the grease. My wife said the whole neighborhood could hear me hooping and hollering. 30 minutes later, itwas all back together, working great,Got the engine started,and off to put the boat in the water with an hour to spare before 60 folks showed up. Thanks to Slinky and all who post on this forum.
I now have what I thought was a vapor lock issue, but may be more choke related. I will post a new thread looking for help, and promise to get some pics of my "new" 84 S&S.